Optermizing a pc to the level of a console for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black-heart

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Hi. Maybe i'm really stupid here but i keep on hearing people go on about how much more console games are optermized than pc games. I was wondering if there was any way to optermize pc games to the level of consoles on YOUR personal herdware. Is there software than could do that?

It would be awesome if you could. I could optermize fear to run much better than before!

Thanks

Patrick

Solution
Not possible.

Windows requires way too many services running to be "optimized" down to the level of a game console.

It may be more possible with Linux, but again, there are certain essential services that Linux requires when running on a PC. It will consume fewer resources that Windows, but it still won't quite be "console level".
Not possible.

Windows requires way too many services running to be "optimized" down to the level of a game console.

It may be more possible with Linux, but again, there are certain essential services that Linux requires when running on a PC. It will consume fewer resources that Windows, but it still won't quite be "console level".

Solution
True enough. You will never get to the same bare bones level as with a console. You can however turn off an awful lot of the background processes and get more raw performance from any windows system, you will however loose functionality in the process.

There are lots of guides on disabling none essential services in XP (I'm sure Vista ones will show up soon) and if your disconnected from the internet turning off firewalls and virus software can free up some resources.

As Zoron notes you could build on a Linux Realtime kernel and produce a very stripped down system. At the end of the day its a question of balancing functionality / features / performance. Think of this as a triangle. You can pull the shape in any direction but the area remains the same given the same starting blocks.

To get you started you could have a look at:

www.overclockersclub.com

I'd recommend that you check a few guides before you start playing and as always backing up important data in case you do something daft. I'm not a Windows user so I'm not the right person to be giving specifics but its a general thing on almost any system.

Depending on what you have running you might see a worth while increase, just don't expect huge gains. I used to get a bit more out of a stripped down Linux install when I used to do SETI.

Have fun..

Status
Not open for further replies.