windows file transfer/does not contain stored information

spanke5

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
hey guys, i've got a new laptop over here i'm trying to transfer to, and going nuts in my attempts.

basically, i'm trying to transfer them over the wireless network. i backed up the original computers info in a folder that is shared across the network. everytime i attempt to though, i get the "location that you specified does not contain stored information." i created another folder w/ just the settings to transfer, and i get the same thing. what, if anything, or everything, am i doing wrong?

both computers are running xp service pack 2. ah... i don't know what else to say. let me know if i can get you any extra info to help out. also, this is my girlfriends mom's computer(s), and she's sort of waiting for me to wrap this up. and i am ready to get up out of here. so, the quicker the better, if possible. thanks a lot guys.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you're running a firewall, try turning it off. I'm using the free version of ZoneAlarm and for some reason it's blocking one of my computers on the network, no problems with the others also using ZoneAlarm. Also if you're using a wireless connection, make sure you run the wireless connection in XP. If you haven't already, make sure the files are visible, Right click the Folder and then Properties. Be extremely careful, you definitely don't want to pi$$ you mother in law (AKA girl friend's mother) off. :D

spanke5

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
thanks a lot. i did have the files as visible/shared. upon further internet searching, turns out the problem was that, i think, there were two different versions of the file transfer software on each computer. when i went straight from the xp install disc, it worked just fine. sadly i now have to redo the 20 gig of justin timberlake photos that the old ass computer took two hours to compress. not a joke. about the justin timberlake pictures.

thanks a lot for the help though man.