Is Vista supposed to be powering down HDD's?

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I just installed Vista Ultimate today and noticed that when im just sitting next to my computer... doing work on my MacBook Pro... I hear the distinct (and loud) sound of a HDD powering down... then silence...

but system stability isn't compromised... and once i click on the inactive HDD it turns back on...

its supposed to do that... right?

On another note... *** that HD is loud lol

Solution
G
It's a power management feature. Go to Control Panel\System and Maintenance\Power Options, and whichever plan your on, click 'Change Plan Settings'.

Click 'Change Advanced Power Settings', expand the 'Hard Disk' section and you'll see the timer for inactive drives - Set this to the desired time and that's it. You won't need to change anything in the BIOS.
G

It's a power management feature. Go to Control Panel\System and Maintenance\Power Options, and whichever plan your on, click 'Change Plan Settings'.

Click 'Change Advanced Power Settings', expand the 'Hard Disk' section and you'll see the timer for inactive drives - Set this to the desired time and that's it. You won't need to change anything in the BIOS.

Solution