feeltch

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Hello!

I have new PC with Windows Vista Ultimate installed.

From the beginning it keeps restarting randomly. It may work fine for say 5 day, than one day it restarts three times when idle or just listening music or playing F.E.A.R. It's so like I would press reset key on the comp.

First I thought it was software problem, but now I think more it's hardware, but I can't find the reason. It's now going on like this for three weeks.

I used Everest to check temperatures and voltages and it seems OK. I checked RAM with Memtest86 over night and it reported no errors.
But in task manager I have under Phisical memoray (MB)- total 2046. It should be 2048 as I know. Could be that a problem. Also there is a problem, when I go to control panel-->administrative tools-->memory diagnostics tools , then computer restarts properly and starts testing memory, but at 23% of first pass it freezes. I left it over night and it was still at 23%.

Do you have any idea why my comp. would keep restarting? I can work with it, but it's kind of annoying to never know when it will restart again.

Solution
It does stink like memory (or possibly some other, more obsure hardware issue) but I would beat memory for a bit longer. memtest86+ and the MS memory test suite (how about MSMT?) use some pretty good test algorithms (and they are both different).

The first thing I would do is try to understand why the MSMT caused a crash (that really sounds stinky). I had some memory problems (nothing that raising the voltage from 1.8->2.04 didn't finally resolve) and I wasn't able to see any issues in the earlier version of memtest86+. I did find that I had some problems when running some of the more advanced MSMT tests. It also might be worthwhile to verify that u have the latest memtest86 (they recently released a newer version with some...

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
It does stink like memory (or possibly some other, more obsure hardware issue) but I would beat memory for a bit longer. memtest86+ and the MS memory test suite (how about MSMT?) use some pretty good test algorithms (and they are both different).

The first thing I would do is try to understand why the MSMT caused a crash (that really sounds stinky). I had some memory problems (nothing that raising the voltage from 1.8->2.04 didn't finally resolve) and I wasn't able to see any issues in the earlier version of memtest86+. I did find that I had some problems when running some of the more advanced MSMT tests. It also might be worthwhile to verify that u have the latest memtest86 (they recently released a newer version with some better hardware specifications).

After I knew I had the latest software, I ran the tests and finally found a problem. After busting it around for a while I raised my memory voltage (a little bit at a time) and my problems went away. I kicked off memtest86 and let it run for a full 24 hours using all of the test available. The day after that I started the MSMT tests and changed their options to run the full suite and set it to run for 10 full passes. I'm now convinced that my 4G of memory is stable and good (and fyi, MSMT never crashed my system with any of its tests).

I am now running my corsair pc6400 memory at 4 4 4 12, cleanly!

good luck.

Solution

feeltch

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
It was probably my GEIL RAM wasn't compatible with my Gigabyte motherboard.
I had RAM exchanged with A-DATA RAM and now computer works good for allready two days. I'll be sure in a few days.