Sign in with
Your question

Linux not reading CD-RW created in XP - Help!

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 9, 2007 3:27:14 PM

I'm a Linux noob and trying really hard to learn Linux (just spent $45 on a book on how to use Ubuntu).

Anyways, I downloaded a .deb file on my Windows XP side of the box so I could put it on the desktop of my Linux side of the box (I am dual booting with 2 hard drives). I transferred the file onto a CD-RW that already had a bunch of files on it with all kinds of extensions (such as .pdf, .doc, .exe). I checked and the .deb successfully transferred to the disc.

When I rebooted onto the Linux side, the CD icon appeared on the desktop, but when I tried to open the CD, only three files showed up! I thought it was a mount problem, so I tried the command line and added a command to mount the CD and "unhide" the files -- that didn't work. If anything, I would have thought that Linux would have acknowledged all the files on the CD, even if it were not able to open anything. At the very least, I'm surprized that Linux did not recognize the .deb file.

How do I open the files on my CD? Or, my more immediate concern is, how do I tranfer a file onto Linux that I downloaded in XP? Do I need to format a blank CD on the Linux side first, then download the .deb file to the CD on the Windows side, then tranfsfer it to Linux? I can't download directly from the internet on the Linux side yet.

If anyone can just point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

More about : linux reading created

a b 5 Linux
April 9, 2007 5:05:59 PM

You could setup file and printer sharing under windows and just copy the files across your LAN or use a USB flash drive.

Or you can use SSH/SFTP -- open ssh on the linux side and http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/ on the XP side

It sounds like XP did weird things to the CD-RW... the file system may be all screwed.

GL :-D
April 9, 2007 6:59:27 PM

Some times, some CD's just won't be readable till they are finalized. Could this be an issue?
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
April 9, 2007 9:47:44 PM

As DaSickNinja and Geeky_Byzantine have said that could very likely be the issue!

:trophy: :trophy:

Having said that, using your LAN or a portable drive to move data is a lot more efficient.

:-D
a b 5 Linux
April 9, 2007 11:14:34 PM

The only other one..

Is there a '.' at the start of the file name? I've seen it happen..
April 10, 2007 5:46:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll try a number of your ideas. The easiest is to use a flash drive, or maybe a floppy since the .deb that I want to transfer is a small file.

If anyone has any more ideas they are always appreciated.
!