Best Buy

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 5, 2004 2:36:34 PM

I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best Buy? My
major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) . The Sunday
before Thanksgiving, my wife and I went into Best Buy to buy a Toshiba HD TV
and matching DVD/VHS player. We had 4 Salespeople come sworming down us
like, Vampires after fresh blood, pushing and damn near forcing us to buy
the (PSP). It was a major double tagteam effort to get us to buy the
(PSP). What I would like to know did anyone else have problems with Best
Buy Salepeople when it comes to the (PSP)? Does Best Buy Salepeople get a
bonus for every (PSP) sold? Does the department get a bonus? Writing a
complaint letter to Best Buy Corp. HQ and to Store Manager, did nothing and
filing a compaint online, did nothing. What can a person do to shop without
being pressured into buying something he or she does not want? Timothy
(govbank@astound.net) St. Cloud Minnesota

More about : buy

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 2:55:30 PM

The salespeople are given a quota or certain dollar amount of PSPs which
they must sell else forfeit a percentage of their commission.

A salesperson who habitually underperforms on PSP sales, regardless of
their other performance is first in line to be terminated when it comes
time to cut back.

In article <covgul$56d$1@news.astound.net> "Tim" <govbank@astound.net>
writes:

>I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best Buy? My
>major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) . The Sunday
>before Thanksgiving, my wife and I went into Best Buy to buy a Toshiba HD TV
>and matching DVD/VHS player. We had 4 Salespeople come sworming down us
>like, Vampires after fresh blood, pushing and damn near forcing us to buy
>the (PSP). It was a major double tagteam effort to get us to buy the
>(PSP). What I would like to know did anyone else have problems with Best
>Buy Salepeople when it comes to the (PSP)? Does Best Buy Salepeople get a
>bonus for every (PSP) sold? Does the department get a bonus? Writing a
>complaint letter to Best Buy Corp. HQ and to Store Manager, did nothing and
>filing a compaint online, did nothing. What can a person do to shop without
>being pressured into buying something he or she does not want? Timothy
>(govbank@astound.net) St. Cloud Minnesota

December 5, 2004 3:38:32 PM

MrFixit@msn.com (Mr Fixit) wrote in news:p ni6r0drqjkm3ic9ra130g7uh7bgop0k33
@4ax.com:

> The salespeople are given a quota or certain dollar amount of PSPs which
> they must sell else forfeit a percentage of their commission.

BestBuy employees are not on commission.

--
Brett

"burn down the disco, hang the blessed dj
because the music they constantly play
says nothing to me about my life"
-Morrissey
Related resources
December 5, 2004 3:49:05 PM

Tim....I usually tell them 'So your telling me your product is no good and I
need a PSP because it's not going to last!!!" this sends them into mumbling
fools and they leave you alone.

"Tim" <govbank@astound.net> wrote in message
>I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best Buy? My
>major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) . The Sunday
>before Thanksgiving, my wife and I went into Best Buy to buy a Toshiba HD
>TV and matching DVD/VHS player. We had 4 Salespeople come sworming down
>us like, Vampires after fresh blood, pushing and damn near forcing us to
>buy the (PSP). It was a major double tagteam effort to get us to buy
>the (PSP). What I would like to know did anyone else have problems with
>Best Buy Salepeople when it comes to the (PSP)? Does Best Buy Salepeople
>get a bonus for every (PSP) sold? Does the department get a bonus?
>Writing a complaint letter to Best Buy Corp. HQ and to Store Manager, did
>nothing and filing a compaint online, did nothing. What can a person do to
>shop without being pressured into buying something he or she does not want?
>Timothy (govbank@astound.net) St. Cloud Minnesota

December 5, 2004 7:41:43 PM

"Tim" <govbank@astound.net> wrote in message
> I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best Buy?
My
> major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) . The
Sunday
> before Thanksgiving, my wife and I went into Best Buy to buy a Toshiba HD
TV
> and matching DVD/VHS player. We had 4 Salespeople come sworming down us
> like, Vampires after fresh blood, pushing and damn near forcing us to buy
> the (PSP). It was a major double tagteam effort to get us to buy the
> (PSP). What I would like to know did anyone else have problems with Best
> Buy Salepeople when it comes to the (PSP)? Does Best Buy Salepeople get
> bonus for every (PSP) sold? Does the department get a bonus? Writing a
> complaint letter to Best Buy Corp. HQ and to Store Manager, did nothing
and
> filing a compaint online, did nothing. What can a person do to shop
without
> being pressured into buying something he or she does not want? Timothy
> (govbank@astound.net) St. Cloud Minnesota

Oh, Best Buy. This will surely get many replies! My understanding of BB
is that they make little profit on large items, so they attempt to be
profitable through PSP's and accessories (especially "Mobster Cables"). I
also seem to remember reading once that the sales people make no commission
on PSP's, but the managers get perks for the ratio of PSP's sold for
products. I also remember some sort of "percentage system" for PSP's, based
upon the value of the item sold for "PSP points". I.e., someone making an
HDTV purchase without a PSP will cost them "many points", hence for them
being so pushy.

I've never made any large purchases from BB, but from time to time will buy
small things. Even with this, I'm at the point now where that will be only
a "last resort" place to purchase from. Besides the usual complaints about
BB (large, loud, bright, poorly trained and knowledgable staff, pressure to
purchase PSP's and "Mobster Cables", etc) there is something else about the
atmosphere there that quite irks me. Can't explain it, but it doesn't feel
comfortable in BB.

One thing I do like using BB for, and this probably really irks them, is a
showroom. Want a specific type of product, research on the internet till
you narrow it down to a few choices, then (if BB has any of the particular
products), head over to BB to physically see them, and afterwards head back
home to make a purchase with an online retailer -- for not only less $$, but
also tax free! :^)
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 10:03:41 PM

Tim wrote:

> I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best Buy? My
> major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) .

I bought a Toslink cable for $18 at Best Buy. They offered me a 5 year
PSP for $12. I asked if he was serious. He was.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 10:47:02 PM

Go to BestBuysux.org
December 5, 2004 11:48:19 PM

"Tim" <govbank@astound.net> wrote in news:covgul$56d$1@news.astound.net:

> I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best Buy?
> My major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) .
> The Sunday before Thanksgiving, my wife and I went into Best Buy to
> buy a Toshiba HD TV and matching DVD/VHS player. We had 4
> Salespeople come sworming down us like, Vampires after fresh blood,
> pushing and damn near forcing us to buy the (PSP). It was a major
> double tagteam effort to get us to buy the (PSP). What I would like
> to know did anyone else have problems with Best Buy Salepeople when it
> comes to the (PSP)? Does Best Buy Salepeople get a bonus for every
> (PSP) sold? Does the department get a bonus? Writing a complaint
> letter to Best Buy Corp. HQ and to Store Manager, did nothing and
> filing a compaint online, did nothing. What can a person do to shop
> without being pressured into buying something he or she does not want?
> Timothy (govbank@astound.net) St. Cloud Minnesota

The in store warrantys are one of the most profitable pieces of business
all electronic stores push. It is not surprising they push them. Any
credible consumer report will tell you these are almost never worth
buying. The manufacturer usually has at least a 1 year guarantee. Most
problems happen right away.
I browse Best Buy a lot. I have noticed Best Buy has gotten a lot more
aggressive, they used to have a policy of leaving you alone, apparently
that has changed.
December 5, 2004 11:56:50 PM

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 11:55:30 -0600, MrFixit@msn.com (Mr Fixit) wrote:

>The salespeople are given a quota or certain dollar amount of PSPs which
>they must sell else forfeit a percentage of their commission.
>
>A salesperson who habitually underperforms on PSP sales, regardless of
>their other performance is first in line to be terminated when it comes
>time to cut back.

When you live long enough you'll see that these electronic big box
stores go out of business every 10-20 years and are replaced by
another Pacific Stereo, Federated, etc, the list is endless.

They lose money because their own managers/employees are usually
stealing them blind. Those in authority have a license to steal.

It's not an accident that poor management always exhibits the usual
characteristics of coke and speed users ;)

Ever wonder why you never see drug tests for management ?
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 9:01:53 AM

<freddy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 11:55:30 -0600, MrFixit@msn.com (Mr Fixit) wrote:
>
> >The salespeople are given a quota or certain dollar amount of PSPs which
> >they must sell else forfeit a percentage of their commission.
> >
> >A salesperson who habitually underperforms on PSP sales, regardless of
> >their other performance is first in line to be terminated when it comes
> >time to cut back.
> >

> When you live long enough you'll see that these electronic big box
> stores go out of business every 10-20 years and are replaced by
> another Pacific Stereo, Federated, etc, the list is endless.
>
> They lose money because their own managers/employees are usually
> stealing them blind. Those in authority have a license to steal.
>
> It's not an accident that poor management always exhibits the usual
> characteristics of coke and speed users ;)
>
> Ever wonder why you never see drug tests for management ?

More commonly these stores run on slim margins and live on growth. When
they can't grow the business any longer they cannot sustain what they are
doing because they have to raise margins and people start to find that they
can get better prices elsewhere. They start cutting everywhere and gutting
the company. Eventually it gets sold off or shuts down and the resources go
into another venture. Of course, you are correct in the sense that through
this process the management at the top usually insulates itself up until the
last minute. It happens in other businesses as well, but it is very common
in retail, where the competition is stiff, little uniqueness in the products
and services offered, and gross profit margins are mostly transparent.

Leonard
December 6, 2004 9:05:12 AM

Oh I always tell them to take a hike when they push those plans. However,
when buying an expensive TV set, it already paid for itself as one of the
lamps in my 56" JVC went out and they had to come get it and fix it.

My major problem is that they try to make you feel stupid if you say you
don't want the plan. I told one punk there that if I had to buy a plan on
everything I got there I would have wasted my money. Sure some things are
going to break after warranty, but why pay $50 for a plan when the purchase
was under $200? I'll take my chances. But with a widescreen tv...you might
consider it.

"Tim" <govbank@astound.net> wrote in message
>I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best Buy? My
>major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) . The Sunday
>before Thanksgiving, my wife and I went into Best Buy to buy a Toshiba HD
>TV and matching DVD/VHS player. We had 4 Salespeople come sworming down
>us like, Vampires after fresh blood, pushing and damn near forcing us to
>buy the (PSP). It was a major double tagteam effort to get us to buy
>the (PSP). What I would like to know did anyone else have problems with
>Best Buy Salepeople when it comes to the (PSP)? Does Best Buy Salepeople
>get a bonus for every (PSP) sold? Does the department get a bonus?
>Writing a complaint letter to Best Buy Corp. HQ and to Store Manager, did
>nothing and filing a compaint online, did nothing. What can a person do to
>shop without being pressured into buying something he or she does not want?
>Timothy (govbank@astound.net) St. Cloud Minnesota

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:25:26 AM

I have no problems with Best Buy because I do not patronize that
store.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:30:11 AM

"R. Makul" <k1xv@arrl.net> wrote in message
> I have no problems with Best Buy because I do not patronize that
> store.

I have no trouble breathing on Mars because I don't go there. Is there some
point to your post or are we getting into a philosophical discussion?

Leonard
December 6, 2004 2:45:25 PM

"CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote in message
> Oh I always tell them to take a hike when they push those plans.
> However, when buying an expensive TV set, it already paid for itself as
> one of the lamps in my 56" JVC went out and they had to come get it and
> fix it.
>
> My major problem is that they try to make you feel stupid if you say you
> don't want the plan. I told one punk there that if I had to buy a plan on
> everything I got there I would have wasted my money. Sure some things are
> going to break after warranty, but why pay $50 for a plan when the
> purchase was under $200? I'll take my chances. But with a widescreen
> tv...you might consider it.
>
> "Tim" <govbank@astound.net> wrote in message
>>I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best Buy?
>>My major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) . The
>>Sunday before Thanksgiving, my wife and I went into Best Buy to buy a
>>Toshiba HD TV and matching DVD/VHS player. We had 4 Salespeople come
>>sworming down us like, Vampires after fresh blood, pushing and damn near
>>forcing us to buy the (PSP). It was a major double tagteam effort to
>>get us to buy the (PSP). What I would like to know did anyone else have
>>problems with Best Buy Salepeople when it comes to the (PSP)? Does Best
>>Buy Salepeople get a bonus for every (PSP) sold? Does the department get
>>a bonus? Writing a complaint letter to Best Buy Corp. HQ and to Store
>>Manager, did nothing and filing a compaint online, did nothing. What can
>>a person do to shop without being pressured into buying something he or
>>she does not want? Timothy (govbank@astound.net) St. Cloud Minnesota

Why not buy w/American Express, or other w/same doubling of warranty?
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 7:56:07 PM

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
> Tim wrote:
>
>> I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best Buy?
>> My major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) .
>
> I bought a Toslink cable for $18 at Best Buy. They offered me a 5 year PSP
> for $12. I asked if he was serious. He was.
>
> Matthew

Its not just Best Buy. Everyone does it.

I bought a $300 dollar dishwasher from Sears. I asked about a service plan.
They offered one for one year of coverage past the regular 90 day warranty
period and it would cost me $250.

Why would I buy a plan for $250 for just another year past 90 days when I
would just be able to buy another new machine for $50 more.

Deborah Proctor
maraskywalker@earthlink.net
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:57:55 PM

You would not want to buy an extended warranty like this, obviously. These
warranties are big profit items in Best Buy stores and other retail outlets
and salespeople are pressured to push them. Most of the time, it is not a
good deal for the customer to buy the extended warranty.

On the other hand, there may be specific items where it may be a good idea.
While I almost never buy one of these things, I did pay $400 for a 3-year
service policy from Sears on my Sony KDF-60XS955 TV. Lots of things can go
wrong on these new TV's, Sears has a good rep for its TV warranty service
and they will fix anything, a $200 lamp -- even something just cosmetic.

But I would not buy an extended warranty for a regular TV or almost anything
else. Best to just "self-insure", most of the time.

mack
austin

"Debbie Proctor" <maraskywalker@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
> > Tim wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best Buy?
> >> My major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) .
> >
> > I bought a Toslink cable for $18 at Best Buy. They offered me a 5 year
PSP
> > for $12. I asked if he was serious. He was.
> >
> > Matthew
>
> Its not just Best Buy. Everyone does it.
>
> I bought a $300 dollar dishwasher from Sears. I asked about a service
plan.
> They offered one for one year of coverage past the regular 90 day warranty
> period and it would cost me $250.
>
> Why would I buy a plan for $250 for just another year past 90 days when I
> would just be able to buy another new machine for $50 more.
>
> Deborah Proctor
> maraskywalker@earthlink.net

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 3:29:51 AM

I have a rock that keeps tigers away. I have not had any tigers near my home.

>n message
>> I have no problems with Best Buy because I do not patronize that
>> store.
>
>I have no trouble breathing on Mars because I don't go there. Is there some
>point to your post or are we getting into a philosophical discussion?
>
>Leonard

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:12:55 PM

"No!" is good. "Just what don't you understand about No?" as a follow-up
is also good. Walking out of the store works too.

Bill

[...]
December 7, 2004 6:21:02 PM

I bought my Samsung HDTV at Sears with the extended three-year warranty.
I discovered that my Sears Master Card, which I used to buy the set
since I didn't have to make any payments for a year, included a warranty
extension of one additional year for the manufacturer's warranty. And
Samsung extended their one-year warranty from twelve to fifteen months.
I then cancelled the Sears extended warranty as I was really paying for
just nine months more coverage. And, yes, I am aware that Sears
warranties are better than most. There was really no high-pressure
attempt by the Sears salesman and absolutely no problem with the
cancellation.

Bill

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote
in message news:D 41td.79136$g21.44687@fe1.texas.rr.com...
You would not want to buy an extended warranty like this, obviously.
These
warranties are big profit items in Best Buy stores and other retail
outlets
and salespeople are pressured to push them. Most of the time, it is not
good deal for the customer to buy the extended warranty.

On the other hand, there may be specific items where it may be a good
idea.
While I almost never buy one of these things, I did pay $400 for a
3-year
service policy from Sears on my Sony KDF-60XS955 TV. Lots of things can
go
wrong on these new TV's, Sears has a good rep for its TV warranty
service
and they will fix anything, a $200 lamp -- even something just cosmetic.

But I would not buy an extended warranty for a regular TV or almost
anything
else. Best to just "self-insure", most of the time.

mack
austin

"Debbie Proctor" <maraskywalker@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
> > Tim wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to know if anyone else is having a problem with Best
> >> Buy?
> >> My major complaint is Best Buys, Performance Service Plan (PSP) .
> >
> > I bought a Toslink cable for $18 at Best Buy. They offered me a 5
> > year
PSP
> > for $12. I asked if he was serious. He was.
> >
> > Matthew
>
> Its not just Best Buy. Everyone does it.
>
> I bought a $300 dollar dishwasher from Sears. I asked about a service
plan.
> They offered one for one year of coverage past the regular 90 day
> warranty
> period and it would cost me $250.
>
> Why would I buy a plan for $250 for just another year past 90 days
> when I
> would just be able to buy another new machine for $50 more.
>
> Deborah Proctor
> maraskywalker@earthlink.net

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:23:24 PM

And I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing in my pajamas I
have no idea.
(apologies to Groucho Marx)

"SpiderManHouston" <spidermanhouston@aol.com> wrote in message
I have a rock that keeps tigers away. I have not had any tigers near my
home.

>n message
>> I have no problems with Best Buy because I do not patronize that
>> store.
>
>I have no trouble breathing on Mars because I don't go there. Is there
>some
>point to your post or are we getting into a philosophical discussion?
>
>Leonard

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 8:53:24 PM

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv, Tim <govbank@astound.net> wrote:
> What can a person do to shop without
> being pressured into buying something he or she does not want? Timothy

I find that "No Thank You" works pretty well. But if it doesn't, then
"No Way" is a good second line of defense.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,

How do you explain Circuit City's long term sustained performance over the
past 15 years. They have been the subject of many success articles including
a book "From Good to Great".

It is not just Electronic Big Box stores, but all stores: Grocery stores,
drug stores etc...

Obviously not a student of business or the economy.

<freddy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 11:55:30 -0600, MrFixit@msn.com (Mr Fixit) wrote:
>
> >The salespeople are given a quota or certain dollar amount of PSPs which
> >they must sell else forfeit a percentage of their commission.
> >
> >A salesperson who habitually underperforms on PSP sales, regardless of
> >their other performance is first in line to be terminated when it comes
> >time to cut back.
> >

> When you live long enough you'll see that these electronic big box
> stores go out of business every 10-20 years and are replaced by
> another Pacific Stereo, Federated, etc, the list is endless.
>
> They lose money because their own managers/employees are usually
> stealing them blind. Those in authority have a license to steal.
>
> It's not an accident that poor management always exhibits the usual
> characteristics of coke and speed users ;)
>
> Ever wonder why you never see drug tests for management ?

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 6:07:19 PM

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:53:24 +0000 (UTC), EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com
wrote:

>I find that "No Thank You" works pretty well.

Works good for me too. But when the inevitable followup "why not?" is
asked, I just say I don't want to spend the money

Polite and persistent.. yeah that's the ticket
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 1:49:29 PM

> filing a compaint online, did nothing. What can a person do to shop
without
> being pressured into buying something he or she does not want?
Timothy

All due respect, are you really that weak minded that you get pressured
into buying something you don't want? How about a "no"??
November 10, 2008 1:14:25 AM

I have had many issues, and witness many incidents at best buys store in Philadelphia. I have seen a female latino who spoke broken English get lied to, while in a different occasion a White female returned an open XBOX game and was giving a new title when it clearly states that they will not accept open returned games. I came to the aid of the Latina female who was lied to, and was able to get her money back.
Just today I purchased a movie on video and was told that I needed a reward card in order to purchase. I told the young lady that I did have one but don't even bother to use it anymore since reward zone is nothing but a rip off. She said then that she can't take the purchase because I told her I had a reward zone but won't use it. I questioned her again "Are you telling me that I have to use the card, or I will be refused service" she said yes. I proceeded to walk out of the store with intentions of doing something about it, as I am walking out two employees called me back who recognized me and said that I can purchase now without the card.
The reason I no longer use the card is because for three years they have been telling me that either my e-mail does not work, (which we confirmed as a lie) and that the address I gave them is not valid. I use to get reward coupons for the first 6 months, my e-mail is the same, and I have not moved. Bottom line is best buys encourages you to purchase a reward zone for cash with a promise you will get some back, and you don't that equals RIPP-OFF the same thing goes for extended warranties. A dvd player has an average life of 10 years. A vcr will last even longer. They sell you a two years plan which is 5000 to one chance that it will ever need repair within the first two years. If you purchase a portable cd player and got an extension warranty you just got ripped off. A name brand portable cd player will out last you as long as you don't drop it, and if you do the warranty does not cover that. So you paid $19.99 for an extended warranty on a cd player hat will outlast you, and the only thing that can go wrong is it break due to abuse which is not covered. If they get 20,000 people at $19.99 each will do the math. Extended warranties, reward zone, and best buys bias, and bait and switch policies should be a crime yet they have been getting away with this just like walmart for years. Who is getting paid to keep shut?
I am contacting both a lawyer, and the media first thing Monday money. I encourage all who have been victimized by best buys to do the same.
!