Voxix

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Well first let me give you my Specs: " Just built"

Mobo: ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz (CPUZ shows it Conroe)
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
G Card: GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
PS:pS:APEVIA ATX-AS520W-BK ATX 520W Power Supply (+3.3V@30A, +5V@32A, +12V@35A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2A)

My issue is when im playing games sometimes I will get "Game" has had an error an needs to shutdown sorry for your incon. When I play Lord of the Rings online It will freeze my comp an ill have to restart.

Now at first I thought it was heat. But I have 2 rear fans, an exsaust fan under the 8800gts, and a front & side fan. Odd thing is my MB is running hotter then my CPU. Im useing stock CPU cooler btw.

Nothing is OCed. I have the newest version of mobo BIOS. Newest Vid Card & Chip set Drivers. The strange thing is it seems so speratic, sometimes it will run games for hours, then every 2min it will crash them.

Im using same HD from my last machine, would that cause the issue. Having a new mobo an Proc without a new windows refresh?

Thanks in adv, any help will be ... well helpfull.

nECrO1967

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
Is the side fan exhaust or intake? I've seen this problem with a few systems and the culprit has been the side fan causing hot spots on the mobo. If you have air blowing in every direction in the case this can happen very easily.

Other than that the Apevia PSU you have listed is crap. Sorry to sound rude, but Apevia PSU's are terrible. They are made by a company called Young Year. Below is a review of Young Year PSU's and I believe it's the 520W unit you have. HTH

Voxix

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
My side fan is an intake. I have all air coming in from back an side an back is pushing are out.

Yeah its a PS my friend had bought an I traded him an old 9800pro Gaffics card for a while back. You think thats the issue? I would hate to spend another 100+ bucks an that not be the issue.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, the quality of that unit is horrible. That's the first thing I would have replaced. In the mean time, run MemTest to see if your ram is ok, that could be the cause.

EDIT: Oh, missed the old install part. There's a good chance that could be it.

Kari

Splendid
It is not a good idea to use your old windows installation with new mobo, especially if the chipset on the mobo is different. And going from single core to dual core can cause some problems without fresh install aswell. (or a repair, not sure)

Voxix

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Ok ill look into my PS when I can, I looked up the reviews on it an most people like it but said it died very quickly. I would love to run Memtest86 but I have no floppy disk drive lol. I know its sad.

"It is not a good idea to use your old windows installation with new mobo, especially if the chipset on the mobo is different. And going from single core to dual core can cause some problems without fresh install aswell. (or a repair, not sure)"

Someone here at my job said taht same thing. Said I needed to do a repair to make sure I have all the files I need. Ill try that also when I get home.

nECrO1967

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
My side fan is an intake. I have all air coming in from back an side an back is pushing are out.

Yeah its a PS my friend had bought an I traded him an old 9800pro Gaffics card for a while back. You think thats the issue? I would hate to spend another 100+ bucks an that not be the issue.

Do you mean all air in from front? You said back twice, either way, I would make the side fan an exhaust. (IE, sucking out) Only intake should be from the front, the rest should be exhaust. I second the other guys suggestion to run memtest. Sorry, but I would replace that PSU ASAP. Some of those units can only sustain 150 watts!

EDIT: Ah, I just saw the old install of Windows comment. That is likely to be the culprit. I would sooner put my sensitive parts in a meat grinder than do this. Still replace the PSU ASAP though. Good luck!

Voxix

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Ok seems like the census is to Replace PS reguardless, and to fix my old windows issue. Person here just told me to put disk in an use the Repair fuction. Do you find this a good idea. I have over 100gig of games an stuff on my HD.

Or should I Fdisk it? If thats the choice I might just upgrade to a Sata Rapter. /evil grin

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You should backup anything that is important to you.

On a new build when your upgrading to a new MB/CPU, you should reinstall windows. The activation part is kind of a pain, but simple. Calling the number just gives you the opportunity to transfer the license to another new built system, which deactivates the older system that it was first installed on.

Fdisk will kill the partitions on it, so you will have to do a reinstall of windows.

Of course reinstalling all your applications/games will also be a pain, but it should be quite worth it, and the speed of your computer would take less time.

I was able to redo my dad's installation (everything back to normal) in less then 6 hours. Heh, it was actually really dependent on my backup I did on his system. :)

TRENDING THREADS