NightWyrm

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
I've got a custom-built PC that occasionally locks on the initial boot screen - always halfway through the word "Memory" when bringing up the RAM details. My usual fix involves unplugging the power cord for a minute then plugging back in before rebooting (can sometimes take several goes). Flashing the BIOS has also helped at times. Her Indoors is quite fond of using Hibernate instead of shutting down properly (can go up to a week like that) but I don't know if that would be a contributor.

Here are the mobo and RAM specs:
- 2 sets of GeIL Ultra Platinum Dual Channel Memory Kit, 2x256MB, DDR-SDRAM, DIMM, DDR400
- Gigabyte Socket 775 (for Pentium 4) GA-8I915P Pro, Socket 775, Pentium 4, Intel 915P Chipset, 800MHz FSB

I've run Windows Memory Diagnostics on 'extended testing' for 12 hours with no errors found. Running for another 12 to confirm.

I did think about reseating the RAM but with no error found, I'm not sure if there's much point. Is there a chance it could be the PSU (Cooler Master Real Power 450W) or any other problem?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I would remove and re-seat the ram.

But it acts like something is not getting up to speed in time. Your PS may be weak when it comes to inrush current.

I have never had any luck with memory86 for testing memory. Use prime95 does better stress testing, provided you set the parameters for your hardware.

TRENDING THREADS