Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Leo Laporte and Samsung DLP

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 3:59:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I'm new to the HDTV world, but now that I've been into a few stores there's
no way I am going to be able to resist. I'm willing to spend up to $4k
(Canadian) and have room for something with an outside width of up to 55
inches.

I've been doing a lot of reading and had just about decided on a Sony WEGA
LCD 50-inch projector, which appealed to me because I have a 5-year old 36
inch WEGA CRT that's been very reliable, although I hate the fact that I
need a fork lift to get it off the stand.

But then I watched an episode of "Call for Help", where Leo said that he
thought that the Samsung DLP was the best technology. One thing he said was
that it is brighter than the LCD projectors, which is important for me
because like most people I don't have a dedicated theatre room, but have to
use my living room. He also seemed to suggest that it would be the longest
lasting and easiest to repair (the entire module is user-replaceable for
$350).

He also mentioned a next generation DLP that avoids some of the problems of
the first generation, including halos.

Looking up on the Samsung website, I see that the gen3 Sammy DLP is just
out, and further has a very narrow outside frame, which means that I can get
a 56-inch screen into my space (the biggest with any other technology is
50). Finally, it weighs under a hundred pounds, way less than half the old
monster.

Best Buy Canada lists the 56-inch gen3 at $3999 Canadian, which is pushing
my max, but still within range.

Questions:
a) does anyone own a gen3 Sammy DPL and how do you like it
b) anyone know of any possible bugs in this new design (I gather it's just a
refinement of the first DLPs)
c) given that gen3 is a new model, do you think it would be worth waiting a
few months for a price drop?
d) is there a downside to getting a 56-inch vs. a 50 or 46 i.e. picture
quality etc?
e) general comments on Leo's evaluation or Sammy DLPs
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 1:40:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

See responses embedded below:

"Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message
news:5pydnSHCY6jj0S7cRVn-pg@magma.ca...
> I'm new to the HDTV world, but now that I've been into a few stores
> there's no way I am going to be able to resist. I'm willing to spend up to
> $4k (Canadian) and have room for something with an outside width of up to
> 55 inches.
>
> I've been doing a lot of reading and had just about decided on a Sony WEGA
> LCD 50-inch projector, which appealed to me because I have a 5-year old 36
> inch WEGA CRT that's been very reliable, although I hate the fact that I
> need a fork lift to get it off the stand.
>
> But then I watched an episode of "Call for Help", where Leo said that he
> thought that the Samsung DLP was the best technology. One thing he said
> was that it is brighter than the LCD projectors, which is important for me
> because like most people I don't have a dedicated theatre room, but have
> to use my living room. He also seemed to suggest that it would be the
> longest lasting and easiest to repair (the entire module is
> user-replaceable for $350).
>
> He also mentioned a next generation DLP that avoids some of the problems
> of the first generation, including halos.
>
> Looking up on the Samsung website, I see that the gen3 Sammy DLP is just
> out, and further has a very narrow outside frame, which means that I can
> get a 56-inch screen into my space (the biggest with any other technology
> is 50). Finally, it weighs under a hundred pounds, way less than half the
> old monster.
>
> Best Buy Canada lists the 56-inch gen3 at $3999 Canadian, which is pushing
> my max, but still within range.
>
> Questions:
> a) does anyone own a gen3 Sammy DPL and how do you like it

[BG] I own a Samsung HLN567W, which is the gen2 version of the HLP5674W. I
have been very happy with it so far. I just bought it a few weeks ago. I
was actually planning to get a HLP5674W but then a used HLN567W came along
at about half the price so I went for it.

> b) anyone know of any possible bugs in this new design (I gather it's just
> a refinement of the first DLPs)

[BG] Like the HLN567W the HLP5674W still has a six segment color wheel.
Other HLP models have a 7 segment color which spins faster. The faster
spinning is believed to reduce the "rainbow effect" (the more common name
used for what Leo called the "halo effect"). The HLP5674W does not benefit
from this though since it is using the six segment color wheel.

> c) given that gen3 is a new model, do you think it would be worth waiting
> a few months for a price drop?

[BG] I think you'll probably wait a while for any significant price cut
(till the next model comes out). I would say to either go for an HLN567W
like I did (if you can find a great deal somewhere) or just bite the bullet
and shell out the bucks for the HLP5674W.

> d) is there a downside to getting a 56-inch vs. a 50 or 46 i.e. picture
> quality etc?

[BG] Only upside! The picture is GREAT!!! Plus, the HLN567W and HLP5674W
are both the thin bezel models which I think look better and in addition
they both have a built-in speaker shelf on top to set your center channel
stereo speaker. As far as I know these models are the *only* DLPs to offer
the speaker shelf. Make sure you get HD material from somewhere (i.e. OTA,
cable, satellite, SOMEWHERE!). The HD material looks so fantastic you won't
want to watch anything else! Of course, when you have to watch "normal" tv
it still looks good, but not like the HD.

> e) general comments on Leo's evaluation or Sammy DLPs

[BG] There are a lot of advantages to DLP though I am not convinced about
the ease of repair. The only easy repair is to change the light bulb if
that goes out. I believe that will cost you about $250 for a new bulb which
you can change yourself. It's highly unlikely the DLP chip itself will
fail, but if something happens with the color wheel that could be costly to
repair.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 9:07:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

BTW: Leo is no longer on "Call For Help" nor associated with the G4/Tech TV
Productions, Wonder Why they cut him, really enjoyed his quality of sharing
technologies with the masses. IMHO: Samsung is poor quality, poorly
supported equipment, the company is trying to exhibit itself as a "Cutting
Edge" developer and supplier however the overall experience servicing their
products is rather disappointing.
"Brad Griffis" <bradgriffis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:r7Msd.28929$Rf1.1157@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> See responses embedded below:
>
> "Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message
> news:5pydnSHCY6jj0S7cRVn-pg@magma.ca...
>> I'm new to the HDTV world, but now that I've been into a few stores
>> there's no way I am going to be able to resist. I'm willing to spend up
>> to $4k (Canadian) and have room for something with an outside width of up
>> to 55 inches.
>>
>> I've been doing a lot of reading and had just about decided on a Sony
>> WEGA LCD 50-inch projector, which appealed to me because I have a 5-year
>> old 36 inch WEGA CRT that's been very reliable, although I hate the fact
>> that I need a fork lift to get it off the stand.
>>
>> But then I watched an episode of "Call for Help", where Leo said that he
>> thought that the Samsung DLP was the best technology. One thing he said
>> was that it is brighter than the LCD projectors, which is important for
>> me because like most people I don't have a dedicated theatre room, but
>> have to use my living room. He also seemed to suggest that it would be
>> the longest lasting and easiest to repair (the entire module is
>> user-replaceable for $350).
>>
>> He also mentioned a next generation DLP that avoids some of the problems
>> of the first generation, including halos.
>>
>> Looking up on the Samsung website, I see that the gen3 Sammy DLP is just
>> out, and further has a very narrow outside frame, which means that I can
>> get a 56-inch screen into my space (the biggest with any other technology
>> is 50). Finally, it weighs under a hundred pounds, way less than half the
>> old monster.
>>
>> Best Buy Canada lists the 56-inch gen3 at $3999 Canadian, which is
>> pushing my max, but still within range.
>>
>> Questions:
>> a) does anyone own a gen3 Sammy DPL and how do you like it
>
> [BG] I own a Samsung HLN567W, which is the gen2 version of the HLP5674W.
> I have been very happy with it so far. I just bought it a few weeks ago.
> I was actually planning to get a HLP5674W but then a used HLN567W came
> along at about half the price so I went for it.
>
>> b) anyone know of any possible bugs in this new design (I gather it's
>> just a refinement of the first DLPs)
>
> [BG] Like the HLN567W the HLP5674W still has a six segment color wheel.
> Other HLP models have a 7 segment color which spins faster. The faster
> spinning is believed to reduce the "rainbow effect" (the more common name
> used for what Leo called the "halo effect"). The HLP5674W does not
> benefit from this though since it is using the six segment color wheel.
>
>> c) given that gen3 is a new model, do you think it would be worth waiting
>> a few months for a price drop?
>
> [BG] I think you'll probably wait a while for any significant price cut
> (till the next model comes out). I would say to either go for an HLN567W
> like I did (if you can find a great deal somewhere) or just bite the
> bullet and shell out the bucks for the HLP5674W.
>
>> d) is there a downside to getting a 56-inch vs. a 50 or 46 i.e. picture
>> quality etc?
>
> [BG] Only upside! The picture is GREAT!!! Plus, the HLN567W and
> HLP5674W are both the thin bezel models which I think look better and in
> addition they both have a built-in speaker shelf on top to set your center
> channel stereo speaker. As far as I know these models are the *only* DLPs
> to offer the speaker shelf. Make sure you get HD material from somewhere
> (i.e. OTA, cable, satellite, SOMEWHERE!). The HD material looks so
> fantastic you won't want to watch anything else! Of course, when you have
> to watch "normal" tv it still looks good, but not like the HD.
>
>> e) general comments on Leo's evaluation or Sammy DLPs
>
> [BG] There are a lot of advantages to DLP though I am not convinced about
> the ease of repair. The only easy repair is to change the light bulb if
> that goes out. I believe that will cost you about $250 for a new bulb
> which you can change yourself. It's highly unlikely the DLP chip itself
> will fail, but if something happens with the color wheel that could be
> costly to repair.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:38:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:MLudnZmjUPz0oCncRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
> BTW: Leo is no longer on "Call For Help" nor associated with the G4/Tech
> TV Productions,

Uh, no, this is wrong. Remember, I said I am Canadian. Leo is now making
"Call for Help" on G4/Tech TV Canada, and that's where I saw him. He keeps
saying he's working to sell his show in the States.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:20:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Dave-
I have had a Sony KDF-50WE655 (50 Inch LCD) for two weeks now and
have been amazed by the brightness and clarity. For almost 3 months I
debated between the Sony that I bought and a Samsung HL-P5063W. Every
store I visited that had both tv's seemed to show that both sets
display an HD signal in stunning clarity. However, I decided to go
with the Sony LCD because Standard Definition signals looked better on
the Sony everytime.

Two weeks in and I couldn't be happier. An added bonus is that the
Sony was cheaper.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 7:47:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:MLudnZmjUPz0oCncRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
> BTW: Leo is no longer on "Call For Help" nor associated with the G4/Tech
> TV Productions, Wonder Why they cut him, really enjoyed his quality of
> sharing technologies with the masses. IMHO: Samsung is poor quality,
> poorly supported equipment, the company is trying to exhibit itself as a
> "Cutting Edge" developer and supplier however the overall experience
> servicing their products is rather disappointing.

I think they moved from the bay area to LA. I believe in relation to Leo it
had to do with stock options of some sort.

Its not worth watching now.

Deborah Proctor
maraskywalker@earthlink.net
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:09:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

CFH w/ Leo IS on the Canadian channel. He can be heard every Sat & Sun 3 to
6 PM Eastern on the KFI stream

http://ccdig.liquidviewer.com/kfi
YMMV
--
"Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
- Anon

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:MLudnZmjUPz0oCncRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
> BTW: Leo is no longer on "Call For Help" nor associated with the G4/Tech
> TV Productions, Wonder Why they cut him, really enjoyed his quality of
> sharing technologies with the masses. IMHO: Samsung is poor quality,
> poorly supported equipment, the company is trying to exhibit itself as a
> "Cutting Edge" developer and supplier however the overall experience
> servicing their products is rather disappointing.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:13:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Sure Hope So, miss him down here. Thanks Gov
"Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message
news:VdqdnegzjrlA_SncRVn-3g@magma.ca...
>
> "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:MLudnZmjUPz0oCncRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
>> BTW: Leo is no longer on "Call For Help" nor associated with the G4/Tech
>> TV Productions,
>
> Uh, no, this is wrong. Remember, I said I am Canadian. Leo is now making
> "Call for Help" on G4/Tech TV Canada, and that's where I saw him. He keeps
> saying he's working to sell his show in the States.
>
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:15:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I debated between the 2003 versions of the Sammy and the GWIII and went with
the Sony because of SD performance and the fear that, while I might not see
them, my guests might see rainbows. Others have said they did not see them
but developed headaches. Being prone to headaches, I voted the other way but
hear that the 2004 models are better. Much talk and comparison may be found
at AVS Forum > Display Devices > Rear Projection Units --
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&foru...

YMMV
--
"Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
- Anon

<Jeff96GT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1102360832.161236.213030@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Dave-
> I have had a Sony KDF-50WE655 (50 Inch LCD) for two weeks now and
> have been amazed by the brightness and clarity. For almost 3 months I
> debated between the Sony that I bought and a Samsung HL-P5063W. Every
> store I visited that had both tv's seemed to show that both sets
> display an HD signal in stunning clarity. However, I decided to go
> with the Sony LCD because Standard Definition signals looked better on
> the Sony everytime.
>
> Two weeks in and I couldn't be happier. An added bonus is that the
> Sony was cheaper.
>
!