Nearly final specs for new PC - NEED OPINIONS

sekroob

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hi all,

Not being an expert I'd really appreciate youse to have a look at the following specs and tell me if anybody can see any problems/incompatibilities.

Antec Performance One P180
Gigabyte S775 Intel 965P ATX GLan 8CH Audio ATX
Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II
Intel Quad Q6600
Zalman CNPS9500AT Ultra Quiet CPU
Corsair Memory TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2x1GB 240-Pin DIMM XMS2-6400 CL4
Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
BFG Graphics GeForce 8800GTX OC2 768MB GDDR3 Dual DVI 626/2000

The only missing component I need is the PSU, has anybody got any ideas. I believe the Antec P180 needs fairly long cable to reach parts.

I'm still not 100% sure on whether I'll go for the 8800GTX and may wait a couple of weeks to see how the R600 gets on.

Comments and opinions appreciated.

ThunderChunky

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
The RAM will run at a lower speed too. But it looks like you are not from the USA so pricings might make your choice the better decision. If you plan to run you RAM at greater than 800mhz, these higher clocked RAMs will work great, or you can get DDR2 800 RAM that uses micron ICs (G.Skill HZ's, crucial ballistix, buffalo firestix), these have been known to OC up to DDR2 1000 at spec.

You dont need it though, it just might be something you could consider.

akhilles

Splendid
I bowed down to ThunderChunky when he suggested the best overclocking ram.

I would get any of the 3 if I had the money. Any of them will o/c like mad.

You don't need to worry about "the mobo's 800mhz ram support" won't run higher speed ram. See that's what overclocking is for. Maximum stock is 800. You CAN turn it up all the way to specs like 1066 or even high if the ram can take the heat. Yes, you have to up the vdimm volt as well.

The only thing I'd change is the cpu cooler. It'll be loud at full speed. You have to go full speed to o/c or you'll limit your o/c. Freezer 7 Pro, Infinity, Ninja (see my sig), etc. are quieter ones.

sekroob

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Didn't realise this akhilles/thunderchunky, thanks. I've never looked into overclocking before so i'm not sure what's possible. dabs.ie and komplett.ie don't seem to stock the crucial memory but komplett.ie stocks the OCZ stuff but it brings my budget over the €2000 mark. Any suggestions from those 2 web sites that might suit my system better than what I specified?

Anybody got suggestion of a suitable PSU around €160.

Cheers

akhilles

Splendid
They do have Ballistix in stock.

http://komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10605

I know a lot of people look at the price tag of micron d9 ram & go, "whoa that's a ripoff." The real ripoff is the premium OCZ/Corsair that have d9 chips & cost much more.

If you're not getting d9, might as well get kingston valueram. The one in your 1st post may go up to 950mhz.

The only worthy OCZ ram is 7200 & faster ones. They o/c better than the rest of OCZ.

The low to mid OCZ/Corsair ram isn't worth the money, imo. Sure they look good. They don't o/c as well as the D9. They're more expensive than value ram.

As for psu, find one here:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1491422#1491422