Vista Home Premium 32-Bit and NEC 3550A DVD unusable

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Ok, I finally figured out why Vista kept asking me for a driver during install... I think.

For some weird reason, my DVD-RW drive works flawlessly in XP, but not in Vista. Anyone else have this issue? I just ordered the new Plextor DVD drive that is suppose to be "Vista Compatable". Imma be p!$$ed if I didn't have to!!!

Oh yea, I did do a firmware update, just in case. Vista sees the DVD drive, but whenever I put a CD or DVD in it, the drive just spins and Vista goes about it's business and doesn't do anything with the drive!!!

Thank God I made virtual ISO's with the majority of the software that I do own!

Anyone care to comment and give me some advice?

Last, don't suggest to me those stupid MS help site about the whole "edit the registry" should help, because I'm not gonna mess with it! And I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive and still no luck!

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I have the exact same DVD drive (3550A) and haven't had any issues under Vista RC2. I never tried burning anything, but it never asked me to download drivers and it reads discs just fine.

Sorry if that p!$$3$ you off. I have a copy of Vista: HP that I haven't installed yet, so I could try to duplicate the problem...

ahkilleux

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
I am haveing the same problem with the same drive and the same OS. I would also like to note that my drive worked fine when I was running RC2. In fact it wasn't until a few months after my Home Premium installation that it stopped working. It works well in Ubuntu, and Windows XP. Any one else encounter this with a fix?

ahkilleux

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
Nero Fixed my problem. This has been driving me crazy for almost 2 weeks now. I'm not sure what caused it but my suspicions are Virtual clone drive or alcohol 120. But then I don't think either claims to be vista compatible.

Anyway after installing nero and rebooting nero said that the upper something and the lower something registry something had the wrong drivers and corrected the issue. Unfortunatly in my excitement I closed it without getting it word for word. Drive works great now. I hope this helps.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
For me, it was the IDE cable. If you look around forums, they state that the ASUS IDE cables are faulty. Changed the IDE cable out, and everything worked... of course, after I spend $80 on a new DVD burner -.-

Oh well, it's nice having a Plextor and a NEC burner :tongue:

mpjesse

Splendid
Ok, I finally figured out why Vista kept asking me for a driver during install... I think.

For some weird reason, my DVD-RW drive works flawlessly in XP, but not in Vista. Anyone else have this issue? I just ordered the new Plextor DVD drive that is suppose to be "Vista Compatable". Imma be p!$$ed if I didn't have to!!!

Oh yea, I did do a firmware update, just in case. Vista sees the DVD drive, but whenever I put a CD or DVD in it, the drive just spins and Vista goes about it's business and doesn't do anything with the drive!!!

Thank God I made virtual ISO's with the majority of the software that I do own!

I used to own that exact drive. It's a piece of shi*t. I moved on to a lite-on and I love it.

Anyone care to comment and give me some advice?

Last, don't suggest to me those stupid MS help site about the whole "edit the registry" should help, because I'm not gonna mess with it! And I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive and still no luck!

transgenic452

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
For future readers of this thread:

NEC ND-3550A apparently doesn't officially support Vista OS. A 1-page promo-overview I got said this:

"...supports Windows 98SE, 2000, Me and XP and 2003 server. Windows NT 4.0 is also supported if the video editing function is not required...."

One would think Vista would be a no-brainer, but there may be some unusual limitations/interactions applicable for this drive.

heavyartillery

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I have this same ND-3550A drive and I run Vista Ultimate 32-bit. My drive worked 100% FINE until I installed a new motherboard recently and now it will not play or write to discs at all.

I saw the message about NEC not supporting Vista, but it used to work fine. When I tried updating the drivers it was I have the most current one already installed.

Can anyone help me figure out why this has stopped working?

My specs are as follows:

-Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W
-GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775ATX Motherboard
- MS Windows Vista Ultimate 32x
- Antec Performance One P182 ATX Mid Tower Case
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
- MSI GeForce 8600GTS 256MB (128bit) GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
- HIPER HPU-4K530-MS ATX12V v2.2 530W Power Supply
- A-DATA 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit