Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

"Upgrade" or no? 7900GS vs. 8600GS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 1, 2007 9:33:52 PM

I bought a 7900gS around christmas time with the anticipation of building a new computer system. Well, I never got around to it and my old one was AGP, so this card has been sitting around since. I paid $120 for this XFX 7900GS with 256mb of DDR3 memory

Well... now I have the chance to buy a EVGA 8600GS with 256mb ddr3 memory for only 105$ locally from CC. Should I do it?

What would be the resell value of the 7900 GS if I were to upgrade?

The rest of the parts for this computer are coming later this week.

More about : upgrade 7900gs 8600gs

May 1, 2007 9:41:13 PM

A 7900GS for $120 last Christmas???? Really? Are you taking American Dollars? Must have been a good rebate deal.

I'm not familiar with an 8600GS but my guess would be no, it's not worth it seeing as how the 8600GTS trades blows with the 7900GS.
May 1, 2007 9:44:30 PM

yeah, it was a pretty amazing price. Got it off the egg or frys I think.

Only reason i bought was because the price was so sweet - didn't even have a computer to put it in =P

Guess I will be using my 15 off 99+ coupon for speakers or something else now.
Related resources
May 1, 2007 10:01:06 PM

Quote:
I paid $120 for this XFX 7900GS with 256mb of DDR3 memory


Damn, that is what I call a good deal for a 7900gs. I would not recommend purchasing a 8600gs, since you are not really upgrading your card. Instead, I would wait until ATI's cards come out, then get a 8800 GTS when the price drops.
May 1, 2007 10:22:12 PM

Quote:
I bought a 7900gS around christmas time with the anticipation of building a new computer system. Well, I never got around to it and my old one was AGP, so this card has been sitting around since. I paid $120 for this XFX 7900GS with 256mb of DDR3 memory

Well... now I have the chance to buy a EVGA 8600GS with 256mb ddr3 memory for only 105$ locally from CC. Should I do it?

What would be the resell value of the 7900 GS if I were to upgrade?

The rest of the parts for this computer are coming later this week.


Only worth upgrade is the 8600GTS as mentioned, anything below it is not worth it.
May 1, 2007 10:49:58 PM

Quote:
I bought a 7900gS around christmas time with the anticipation of building a new computer system. Well, I never got around to it and my old one was AGP, so this card has been sitting around since. I paid $120 for this XFX 7900GS with 256mb of DDR3 memory

Well... now I have the chance to buy a EVGA 8600GS with 256mb ddr3 memory for only 105$ locally from CC. Should I do it?

What would be the resell value of the 7900 GS if I were to upgrade?

The rest of the parts for this computer are coming later this week.


Only worth upgrade is the 8600GTS as mentioned, anything below it is not worth it.
The only upgrade about that would be DX10 compatibility. The performance, well...
May 1, 2007 11:02:18 PM

I logged in to ask basically the same question. I have a 7800GT CompUSA has a PNY 7900GS on sale for $150 out the door. I want to build a HTPC. Don't think the 42" panels I have do much better than the 720P or 1080i. Sweet price for the 7900GS but for what I am using it for could I get a DX10 card with approximate performance?

I am getting an ATI 2900XT when they arrive for my game machine. This is strictly for an HTPC.

Any thoughts

Thanks
May 2, 2007 12:30:44 AM

The 8600GS would actually be a downgrade.
May 2, 2007 1:25:55 AM

lol - Good to know!

I was under the impression that this new architecture with stream processors and all was a huge leap fwds, so that any 8xxx was better than 7xxx

nevermind then!

now to decide if I keep my lanboy or go for a p900 :wink:
May 2, 2007 3:14:08 AM

Quote:
I logged in to ask basically the same question. I have a 7800GT CompUSA has a PNY 7900GS on sale for $150 out the door. I want to build a HTPC. Don't think the 42" panels I have do much better than the 720P or 1080i. Sweet price for the 7900GS but for what I am using it for could I get a DX10 card with approximate performance?

I am getting an ATI 2900XT when they arrive for my game machine. This is strictly for an HTPC.

Any thoughts

Thanks


Technically speaking the 8600 series are fine HTPC cards since they don´t require huge amounts of power and their features are fine too. All the benefits are stained by their bad pricing (they are too expensive right now) and the fact that if you want to play games their performance is seriously lacking compared to other solutions.
I would google for some reviews that show and compare the video capabilities of the 8600 series and compare those with the probably cheaper offerings by AMD. Right now i can´t really recommend the 8600 cards because their pricing is bad and the gaming performance (which Nvidia claims is good - check their 8600 FAQ) is not competitive with even cheaper cards or the older 7600GT series.
May 2, 2007 4:12:59 AM

The only plus to having a 8600GS instead of the 7900gs isDX10.other than that,the 7900GS blows the doors off the 8600GS.The 8600GTS however is about on par with the 7900GS.But if you really want to upgrade,go with the 8800GTS 640.Or the GTX version.Either way,you'll have a card that is worth upgrading to.If money is an issue though,then I suggest sticking with the 7900GS until you can afford a 8800GTS.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471
May 2, 2007 4:38:34 AM

I own a 7900gs and it runs gr8. Don't buy the 8600gs as it will only be a downgrade. The only advantage is that it comes with DX10 support. But there aren't any games that require DX10 so its a waste. Wait for 8800gts to drop prices then go for them.
May 2, 2007 4:02:44 PM

Found an 8600GS for $200 at newegg
May 2, 2007 4:44:26 PM

Quote:
Should I do it?

I'll keep it short. No.
May 2, 2007 5:26:10 PM

lol! I get the point allready!!

Im not going to do it.
!