Help Setting up USB Connections

ObsidianII

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
A bit confused setting up additional usb connections with my motherboard. The connectors for the usb port are separate (not 1 solid plug) so I'm not exactly sure which connect to which pins.

The motherboard has the pins labelled:

1- USB+5v
2- USB P6-
3- USB P6+
4- GND
5- NC
6- USB+5v
7- USB P5-
8- USB P5+
9- GND

The connectors I have are labelled DATA+1, DATA+2, DATA-1, DATA-2, VCC 1, VCC 2, GND 1, GND 2 and SHIELD.

So obviously GND 1 goes to 4, GND 2 goes to 9 and SHIELD goes to 5 but I have no idea what goes where otherwise. Anyone have a clue? Thanks :D

Dave_McMahon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Which motherboard do you have? Get a manual for it and this will CONFIRM the pin outs.

Make sure you double check this with multimeter, put one end on the +5 pin's (ones marked +5) and other on ground (gnd). If the multimeter shows a - you have the pins reversed.

The VCC pin is the +5Vdc pin so normally connect the red to it

the gnd pin is normally two types, the outer shield of the USB plug and the normal gnd

dont think shield should go to Pin 5 (unless it is grounded) but you could always strip the wire and screw it to case (maybe on a drive mounting screw??)

I think you should connect as follows, most importan that you get the +5V correct or you would risk running 5Vdc across whatever you plug in! Plugin something old and crap to test the ports!

Data +1 goes to pin 8
Data -1 goes to pin 7
VCC 1 goes to pin 6
GND 1 goes to 9

Data +2 goes to pin 3
Data -2 goes to pin 2
VCC 2 goes to pin 1
GND 2 goes to pin 4

or the oppisite so the USB 1 wires use 1-2-3-4 and the USB 2 use wires use 6-7-8-9

Your board might even have more USB "headers" so you can connect more USB drvice without hub! (my board supports 10 ports, 4 in motherboard i/o panel and 6 with headers, so I connect 4 ports with a i.o bracket and two built into case at the front.