Sign in with
Your question

Houston, we have a problem

Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2007 12:18:25 AM

Building my new machine I made a major booboo. I installed everything and turned the box on- totally forgetting that I had popped the cpu in with no heat sink! It hadnt been delivered yet so there was no box to remind me that I was missing something. I saw this of course immediately after the machine shut itself off. Idiot.

The cpu is an e6600 and the motherboard is an evga 680i LT.

So the $235 question is, did I fry my cpu, or are modern mobos/cpus smart enough to shut themselves down before they melt? To protect themselves from morons like myself?

I guess Ill find out definitively when the heat sink arrives, but the not knowing is killing me...

More about : houston problem

May 2, 2007 1:11:30 AM

Thankfully manufacturers take these sorts of booboos into account when they design stuff. They protect us from ourselves! :D 
May 2, 2007 1:55:01 AM

Ah, most excellent news. Would be a shame to roast my machine without ever having really turned it on...

Thanks!
Related resources
May 2, 2007 3:29:29 AM

This is Houston , false alarm repeat false alarm , moron syndrome approaching take caution ---Houston out :lol: 
May 2, 2007 4:21:40 AM

Cpu's are designed to shut down to prevent such mishaps as inadvertantly forgetting to install the heatsink.Nothing overheats to the point of frying these days.At least not often.You should be good to go as soon as your HS arrives.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471
May 2, 2007 5:06:31 AM

You're darn lucky you didn't have an old socket A Duron in there! BOOM!
:lol: 
May 2, 2007 5:33:22 AM

Quote:
You're darn lucky you didn't have an old socket A Duron in there! BOOM!
:lol: 

Anybody have a link to the old THG video where they pulled the heatsinks off of P3, P4, and the original Athlon under load? The intels all throttled to save themselves, but the AMDs, well, BOOM! about sums it up. I assume AMD has fixed that by now and I know Intel still has the throttling.
!