Best video playback/gaming card in the $150-200 range?

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
My current X850XT is really starting to show it's age. It struggles playing FEAR at 1024x768 (using default settings by the game) but handles Oblivion at medium settings just fine at 1360x768. If I turn down the settings in FEAR, it works fine but the game still stutters from time to time.

Not only that but the video playback isn't the best. With my new 32" Sharp Aquos coming soon, I've been pondering the idea of getting a better card.

So, what's a good card in the $150-200 range that'll be better than my X850XT in games (maybe handle FEAR at medium settings on and video playback?

Needs to be PCI-e, at least one DVI and analog out (VGA and composite/component/s-vid), dual DVI would be nice (or single DVI and HDMI), don't care if it's dual slot, don't care about DX10 too much, and some overclock-ability would be nice.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Wait for the new HD2600 series to come out and then pick the best between it and the GF8600 series.

No No NO remmember the 8600 is bad.

Well the HD2600 could also be bad. They're both using 128-bit memory bus widths and XT uses DDR4 which is doing horrible for the 2900 XTX.

Wait for the new HD2600 series to come out and then pick the best between it and the GF8600 series.

No No NO remmember the 8600 is bad.

After that big long thread you still don't get it.

I never said the GF8600 was bad, I said it was bad value for most GAMERS,

By the time the HD2600 comes out the GF8600 will have droped in price, and will be more attractive. And they both have better video option than the last generation.

Since he has time in that he has a working card already, then he can wait until the Gf8600s come down in price, right now today they're overpriced for game, and still not compelling enough to pay a premium for video unless you absolutely need something right away.

Perhaps that's explicit enough that even you can understand it. :roll:

Well the HD2600 could also be bad. They're both using 128-bit memory bus widths and XT uses DDR4 which is doing horrible for the 2900 XTX.

GDDR4 is doing just fine on the X1950XTX, and the only rumour about the GDDR4 on the HD2900XTX sofar is from the debunked DT who didn't even have a real XTX. If it were GDDR4 itself that were the problem there'd be more information about GDDR4 than about specific cards even in the rumour mills.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Thanks for the tips guys. That X1950XT looks pretty solid. If I can get $50 (at the least, should be able to get more) for my current X850XT, then that'll help bring the price down to around $125.

If I like what I see in the HD 2600 series (price vs performance wise), I might jump on that but I'm guessing more DX10 cards will drive down DX9 cards even more so I might still go for that 1950XT. Plus, I can reuse my current VGA cooler on that 1950XT since those stock coolers are loud as hell (or at least the ones on the 850XT are and I think that same cooler is used again with the 1950XT).

I don't know about the 8600GT though... it seems like it can barely keep up with the 7600GT (which can be had for like $70 now).

But I'm in no rush... I gotta RMA some of my parts anyway so it'll be fine if I have to wait.