**cheap trick for ati x1950pro**

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
I own a x1950pro 256 pcix and tried different combination of fans to cool it
but it was not efficient. i was running 65 idle and 85+ full load
i even got a overheat warning when playing titan quest.

The solution i found is placing a old p3 heat sink (no fan) on the back of the
card where the '' x '' is located.

I applied double faced tape on the lower half of the x only and applied some themal paste in the middle of the x to make good contact with the heat sink
then putted the heatsink in place.

now i'm running 55 idle and 75 full load.

http://gallery.photoshack.com/index.php?cat=10143

Cheap trick : )

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Heh sweet picture. I've always wondered if that would help.

Something that will help would be to clean up that rat's nest of wires you have going on there :p

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Also i've found out that the RPMs of the fan don't scale up when the temps aren't that high (~45-60C), so i would recommend using either ATItool or TrayTools to set the tresholds for the fan Speeds, and just to let you know under F@H GPU loads, i only get 58C with a fan speed of 60%.

Also nice HSF setup you got there. But the wire clutter won't help the airflow one bit tough.

TonyStark

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Mine hits 55C max after hours of heavy loading, with the stock cooler and overclocked. What sort of x1950PRO did you buy? One without a heatsink?

randomizer

Champion
Imageshack is so annoying, too many ads and popups. Thats why i use photobucket. Also I cant view the pic very well, its just a thumbnail for me no matter how I try to view it. How big is it meant to be?

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
i have an accelero x2 cooler, i get temps of 45-65 on my x1950xtx, which is a much hotter card, maybe you should invest in it, plus, it is very quiet, no reason for it not to run at full speed.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Mine hits 55C max after hours of heavy loading, with the stock cooler and overclocked. What sort of x1950PRO did you buy? One without a heatsink?

I don't have an x1950Pro but 55C under heavy load is a fairly low temp for a loaded, stock cooled x19 anything.

The Pro run cooler than most but I've seen people complaining about 80C+ temps.

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
An aluminium heat sink dose not weight much...

Any quality printed board card is more tough than most people think.

Try to break an old one you will see what i mean : )

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Oh yeah, that kind of heatsink weighs hardly anything. In that first pic it looked like one of the bulkier Al heatsinks. Cool that you see results!

mrmez

Splendid
Not a bad idea really.

Only bad thing with that 'X' is (on mine at least) there isnt that much metal-metal contact. There is some plastic to protect the pcb from the x bracket.

If u can, try get some thermal tape, im pretty sure its not electrically conductive, take the bracket off and put a layer between it and the pcb.

This will prob give much better heat transfer from the core to the sink.

Hot bastards arent they. Even on water mine idles ~40c

randomizer

Champion
So you are basically drawing heat away from the bracket is that right? Didnt know the bracket got that hot...

I think I recently threw out a PMMX HS :( Hope I am wrong and its lying around my room.

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
Yes it becomes very hot.

There is a kind of round small probe in the center of it.

I think it communicates with the other side under the gpu
but i'm not shure.

Any way it is ok for a little boost in cooling for a light overclock.

: )

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
It would be overkill to go for more.
This heat sink does not get very hot.
The heat transfer from the pcb to the bracket via the little probe in the center of it is not good enough for more cooling.