• NO!

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
i'm very upset that Newegg doesn't ship to Canada. if i wanted to buy some stuff from a Canadian site it would cost me SOO much more. if you factor in the differences of our dollar, it still wouldn't be as much as it's being sold. Why cant Newegg just ship to Canada? it would be soo good for they're profits cuz up here we enjoy modding and upgrading our comps as everyone else in the US. it just doesn't make any sense.

i'm very upset that Newegg doesn't ship to Canada. if i wanted to buy some stuff from a Canadian site it would cost me SOO much more. if you factor in the differences of our dollar, it still wouldn't be as much as it's being sold. Why cant Newegg just ship to Canada? it would be soo good for they're profits cuz up here we enjoy modding and upgrading our comps as everyone else in the US. it just doesn't make any sense.

Why cant Newegg just ship to Canada?

I think the reason is because once a package leaves the US borders Newegg can no longer turn to the US side of the shipping company if there is a problem. A different set of laws may apply at the point the package leaves the country making things more difficult if not impossible for Newegg. I'm sure some laws along the lines of the package leaving US borders is the reason.

When I lived in Canada, I couldnt get alot of american products. Canada is, and should be proud of their homemade products. I sensed alot of retention in regards to the american products. I think they should ship there, but its not like its only newegg in this scenario, you may look right there at home, to your government

Gundam1s

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Aren't the prices about the same when if newegg did ship to canada?
This would of course include the 15%(?) tax and shipping.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Obviously Newegg and many other companies have determined that the red tape/hassles of shipping to Canada are greater than the profit. There are probably several reasons why this is the case.

mythos

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Between NCIX and directcanada.com (as well as Anitec if you're in BC) you can get most anything you can get at newegg, minus just some very speicality products.

Stay away from tigerdirect.ca whatever you do, their prices are always - ALWAYS - 15-30% higher than the other places mentioned and their customer service sucks.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
There are business and legality issues.

From a business perspective the administrative costs of export shipments can be significant. Beyond administrative costs, there is just a certain level of hassle with export shipments which are not easily quantified in dollar and cents.

Take something as simple as the Canadian Postal Code. My web site, internal business documentation, creditcard software and shipping software was set up to handle the USA Zip Code. The cost of adding alternative postal codes to our system could far outweigh any financial benefit of exporting shipments.

From the legal perspective there are VAT and other tax issues.

And the USA limits certain classes of computer software and hardware from being exported to undesirable or hostile countries. While Canada is not at war with us (not yet anyway), Canada or any other country could be added to that list of prohibited countries. More importantly Canadian laws on prohibiting the continuing exportation of these products is not the same as the USA.

Bottom line is exporting is a huge can of worms with little upside and huge downside.

Can anybody blame computer supply companies with their decision to NOT export?

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006

Have you checked out OEM Express on Catherine Street? Their return/exchange policies suck but their prices are great. They're selling boxed retail Athlon 4600+ X2 processors for $159, for example. No shipping fees and instant gratification. The same CPU at Tiger Direct is $187 plus $15 shipping. These prices are in $CDN, of course.

The selection will be a fraction of Newegg's but if they've got your item, they're hard to beat.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
all i can say is NCIX.com
As long as you don't say us.ncix.com in the US where newegg is an option. Well they're a good source for Noctua fans at least...

Actually it's probably better for them if Canadian DON'T compare prices on Newegg vs us.ncix.com.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
If you live in Alberta, www.memoryexpress.com (Calgary) has great prices.

The problem with shippping products to Canada from the US is the brokerage fees for couriers.

I had to pay $72 bucks for brokerage fees (not including shipping) to recieve a replacement Killer NIC card.

Paperwork has to be in triplicate just to send a package from Canada to the states. I imagine its just not worthwhile for them considering the margins for most of the stuff they sell would be quite low.

My company deals with a Canadian supplier that buys their product from the states, but they send their own truck down everyday to pick their stuff up. Apparently that makes a big difference.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006

The problem with shippping products to Canada from the US is the brokerage fees for couriers.

I had to pay $72 bucks for brokerage fees (not including shipping) to recieve a replacement Killer NIC card.

I don't know the details of your particular situation but I don't see why you should have had to pay that fee for an RMA'd item. I experienced something similar last month. I shipped my faulty AMD processor to the US and got slapped with a FedEx invoice for brokerage fees for the return. I complained to AMD and they took good care of me. They cleared up the bill right away and upgraded me from a 3000+ to a 3700+ for my trouble.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Newegg has 3 warehouses located throughout the US, so shipping is always lightning fast. If Newegg started shipping to Canada they would have to open up atleast 1 new warehouse in Canada or along the border, or risk damaging their shipping rep. I imagine those warehouses arent cheap, all the equipment, the building itself, the workers, not to mention all the new inventory costs to keep the new warehouse(s) stocked at all time.

Although there is a Chinese Newegg, and if they could have a warehouse in bloody China...

JCon

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Yes, Newegg would have to open a Canadian warehouse if the offered service up here.

Also, remember when products enter the US from outside North America, they are subject to duties and when those products then enter Canada they are subject to even more duties. So Canadians would be forced to pay US duties and then Canadians duties on top of that. The only way that this is avoided is if the product is made in North America or to open a Canadian warehouse that could receive products directly.

I'm sure Newegg has looked into the possibility of expanding Northward but just have not done so yet for whatever reason. Though, if they did expand up here, I'm not convinced the prices would be much lower than what we see here anyhow.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006

I don't know the details of your particular situation but I don't see why you should have had to pay that fee for an RMA'd item. I experienced something similar last month. I shipped my faulty AMD processor to the US and got slapped with a FedEx invoice for brokerage fees for the return. I complained to AMD and they took good care of me. They cleared up the bill right away and upgraded me from a 3000+ to a 3700+ for my trouble.

Bigfoot put a value of $300 US on the card, which is why I had to pay. Funny thing was, they said they sell a card direct for $289 US. They wouldn't pay the fees, and it was tough convincing them they should pay at least for shipping - which they do (both ways) for US customers.

metrazol

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
It can suck being a Canadian sometimes indeed. We have all these free trade agreements with the US, yet the average person ordering items off of amazon or ebay will still be nailed with outrageous customs charges on top of the shipping. I guess something has to pay the salaries of those $25/h knuckledragging unionized paper pushers. At least we have public health care... as long as you don't mind wait...

Can't complain about ubiquitous cheap and quality weed though. :D

JCon

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
You do understand that "Free Trade" only applies to products made in North America, right? And is still limited thereafter?

I don't think it "sucks" is how I would EVER describe living in Canada.

glupee

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
You do understand that "Free Trade" only applies to products made in North America, right? And is still limited thereafter?

I don't think it "sucks" is how I would EVER describe living in Canada.
:trophy:

while the selection for some specialty items is pretty limited, most things can be found at pretty good prices.
I myself usually go to canada computers since it's in town, but ncix does have a really good selection. And if anyone lives in toronto they know that anything can be found and had for cheap in chinatown!

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
It can suck being a Canadian sometimes indeed. We have all these free trade agreements with the US, yet the average person ordering items off of amazon or ebay will still be nailed with outrageous customs charges on top of the shipping. I guess something has to pay the salaries of those $25/h knuckledragging unionized paper pushers. At least we have public health care... as long as you don't mind wait...

Can't complain about ubiquitous cheap and quality weed though. :D

I'm sure the intent is to protect Canadian businesses, but then again I could also see it helping Canadian businesses if they could get products across the border cheaper. The Canadian government is quite protective, the CRTC being a good example of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS