4:3 vertical lines curves

Hi,
I just bought a Samsung dlp tv (HL-P4674W).
When I view something in 4:3 the left and right black vertical lines are not
straight.
The have a small curve. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is normal.
Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about vertical lines curves

    Require loosening of the actual screen assembly mounts to allow the screen
    to flatten out and get rid of the viewed (pincushion) distortion. In these
    specific devices the only thing that would typically cause the symptom is
    the physical curve and stress on the screens. Seen this on many Samsung and
    a few other DLP sets. There are no pincushion correction adjustments in
    these sets. Be advised, this is normally not a DYI procedure, requiring
    disassembly of the set.
    "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I just bought a Samsung dlp tv (HL-P4674W).
    > When I view something in 4:3 the left and right black vertical lines are
    > not straight.
    > The have a small curve. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is normal.
    > Thanks

    That seems to be common in the wide screen models most noticeable when
    viewing 4:3 material. The term is convergence and can be adjusted, usually
    in the service menu.

    J.C. may I professionally ask how to converge an DLP SET??
    "J_C_" <jchervek@nothome.com> wrote in message
    > That seems to be common in the wide screen models most noticeable when
    > viewing 4:3 material. The term is convergence and can be adjusted,
    > usually
    > in the service menu.

    I have only heard the term convergence used to describe aligning the 3
    colors in a CRT based set. Are you sure that is the correct term?

    Thanks!
    --Dan

    Art wrote:
    > J.C. may I professionally ask how to converge an DLP SET??

    I don't think there's any way to adjust this with DLP. If this were a
    CRT-based TV you could adjust it electronically; if it were a LCD-based
    projector it would probably be the fault of the lens and therefore
    incurable... a DLP projector just shouldn't have such a problem! If it
    does, I sure don't know a cure.

    That is specifically why I posted my initial reply, actual case symptoms and
    rectification per the help of the manufacturers respective service technical
    lines. I have done quite a few DLP and LCD Rear Projection Monitors devices
    in this manner and in almost every case resolved the symptom to the
    sastification of the consumer.
    <paul-NOZPAM@paulkienitz.net> wrote in message

    > Art wrote:
    >> J.C. may I professionally ask how to converge an DLP SET??
    >
    > I don't think there's any way to adjust this with DLP. If this were a
    > CRT-based TV you could adjust it electronically; if it were a LCD-based
    > projector it would probably be the fault of the lens and therefore
    > incurable... a DLP projector just shouldn't have such a problem! If it
    > does, I sure don't know a cure.

    Sorry, should have said Screen Geometry. Adjusted in the service menu. Not
    recommended for novices, but there is a lot of info in various HDTV forums
    like http://www.avsforum.com/

    a technician came today. he put a signal generator in one of the tv's inputs
    and after he looked at the curves for a minute he said that this is
    acceptable on a dlp TV and can not be adjusted.
    I am kind disappointed that this is expected on a $3.500 TV

    "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > That is specifically why I posted my initial reply, actual case symptoms
    > and rectification per the help of the manufacturers respective service
    > technical lines. I have done quite a few DLP and LCD Rear Projection
    > Monitors devices in this manner and in almost every case resolved the
    > symptom to the sastification of the consumer.
    > <paul-NOZPAM@paulkienitz.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Art wrote:
    >>> J.C. may I professionally ask how to converge an DLP SET??
    >>
    >> I don't think there's any way to adjust this with DLP. If this were a
    >> CRT-based TV you could adjust it electronically; if it were a LCD-based
    >> projector it would probably be the fault of the lens and therefore
    >> incurable... a DLP projector just shouldn't have such a problem! If it
    >> does, I sure don't know a cure.

HDTV TV Samsung Home Theatre