Why does my old PC boot XP faster than my new one?

Hey all. Well i built a new PC a while ago, and i was about to sell my old one when my mother said she wanted to buy it from me (she offered to pay for it; I didn't ask her to buy it).

SO anyway, tonight I wiped my old computer and put Windows XP Pro back on it. Well i was amazed at how much faster it boot into windows than my new PC. It does about 3-4 bar moves (the green bar moves front to back 3-4 times) and then bam, into the log in screen/ desktop.

It takes my new PC about 8 bar passes to boot into windows.

Old PC stats:
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz @ 3.5Ghz
Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
creative audigy 2
duel 36gb raptor in raid 0
1GB RAM

New PC stats:
C2D x6800 @3.4 GHz
SLi geforce 8800 GTX
duel 75Gb raptor Raid 0
creative x-fi
4GB ram

The only differnce between OS's is my new OS has x64, old has x32

So what gives? you guys think i had a shitty OS install on my new PC or something?

thanks for the input.
5 answers Last reply
More about boot faster
  1. Try loading BootVis on both to see what the diffeence is.

Grumpy
  2. bootvis won't work on my new PC. When it loads after it reboots, the progress bar only moves about 1/8th of the way and then the program seems to hang and not do anything. Maybe it's not x64 compatible.
  3. My guess is the 64-bit is slowing you down a tad... drivers for 64-bit Windows aren't as mature as those for 32-bit Windows. Also if you were going to go 64-bit, you'd be better off with Vista than with XP. Driver development for XP Pro x64 was virtually non-existant until Vista's release was imminent. The situation has improved, but I think most companies are going to focus on Vista x64 development and start dropping XP Pro x64.

The RAID 0 is also overkill. Unless you're doing a lot of video editing or something requiring moving a lot of large files around, RAID 0 isn't going to give you much benefit. You would have also been better off getting a nice, large hard drive with 16MB of cache... the Raptors don't offer a great enough performance increase to justify the price premium... not to mention they're downright tiny.
  4. Quote:
    My guess is the 64-bit is slowing you down a tad... drivers for 64-bit Windows aren't as mature as those for 32-bit Windows. Also if you were going to go 64-bit, you'd be better off with Vista than with XP. Driver development for XP Pro x64 was virtually non-existant until Vista's release was imminent. The situation has improved, but I think most companies are going to focus on Vista x64 development and start dropping XP Pro x64.

The RAID 0 is also overkill. Unless you're doing a lot of video editing or something requiring moving a lot of large files around, RAID 0 isn't going to give you much benefit. You would have also been better off getting a nice, large hard drive with 16MB of cache... the Raptors don't offer a great enough performance increase to justify the price premium... not to mention they're downright tiny.

I find the raid 0 decreases load times for games. That's what i'm using the PC for.

And i do have a larger harddrive, i just didn't list it, didn't think it was relevant. i have 2 seagate barracuda 750GB

And i did have vista ultimate 64bit, but damn nvidia's drivers are terrible. Haven't tried their new beta released last month though.

It was screwing up a couple games, namely FEAR, i couldn't turn shadows on in FEAR without getting like 20FPS everytime i'd load/save/checkpoint. THen i would have to wait a minute for the FPS to go back up to 130's. So annoying.
  5. Yes, thus far nVidia's drivers for Vista have been horrible compared to ATi's.
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot Windows XP Product