XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
I have two 1gb sticks of ram on my Evga 680i motherboard. Total 2 gigs. When I run Memtest, how many Memtests should I run at one time, and how many mb should be on each one? Also, about how many hours does it take to finish? My Cpu is the E6600 C2D.

there is no advantage in running one at a time unless you get errors.

IF you do get some errors then you try one at a time to see what stick is bad.

The time varies, but it is fast of DDR2.

Your best bet is to run it over night as some errors don't show up until its been stressed for hours. If there are any real bad errors they will pop up in less then an hour. Better to be safe tho.

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
The instructions says to run multiple memtests at once so that all the memory gets tested. So how many tests, and how many mb's should I test it at?

Mondoman

Splendid
If you are referring to memtest86+ (which is the program you should be using), it's only possible to run one instance at a time from its bootable floppy or bootable CD.
Let it run through at least a couple of complete cycles (this will likely take some hours, so it may be convenient just to let it run overnight).

memtest runs itself through multiple tests one after the other. thats another reason for a long run is that there are allot of tests.

All it does it put a pattern into ram(lets say 1F1F1F1F) then read it(it it gets back 101F1F1F, the ram did not hold the pattern and it gets an error). do this enough and you test all the ram :)

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
It says its called Memtest for windows. It's version 3.5 It doesn't make me use a floppy or a cd. It just unzips then I use it after clicking setup. I got it here at this website -> http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
It says its called Memtest for windows. It's version 3.5 It doesn't make me use a floppy or a cd. It just unzips then I use it after clicking setup. I got it here at this website -> http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

i've never heard or seen that one and franly wouldn't trust it as far as i could throw rosie o'donnel.

get the dos version boot cd and use that, that's the best thusfar.

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
Well Memtest has run for 22 hours , so I just stopped it. I wonder how long it would run if I didn't stop the testing? Anyway, no errors were found so I guess I can feel secure in that my memory is ok.