DLP Chip

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 5, 2004 11:54:30 PM

Does anyone know what the life expectancy is on these display chips?

The One & Only,
Oglebooger

More about : dlp chip

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 4:14:14 AM

Elgo Draloow wrote:

> Does anyone know what the life expectancy is on these display chips?
>

> The One & Only,
> Oglebooger

Long enough that people don't argue about it. With the DLP RP TVs, the
life span will be limited by how many $200 to $300 light bulbs you are
willing to replace every 4000 to 8000 hours of use over the years,
possibly a failure of the color wheel or electronics after the warranty
has expired, and maybe aging of the lenses. Newer, cheaper, better HD
TVs in 4-5 years may cause you to replace the set before it wears out.

Alan Figgatt
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:59:15 AM

Probably depends on what specific chip the gent is referring to, there are
many chips (IC Circuits) within these teles all designated to do
specifically differing processes. Generically I feel the response posted is
a relatively good response regarding the total lack of information from the
original poster. T/I may shed some information of their specifically
supplied micromirror device but the others maybe necessary to get into some
really in-depth search from each manufacturer and manufacturer of the
specific chip(s) referred to.
"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Elgo Draloow wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what the life expectancy is on these display chips?
>>

>> The One & Only,
>> Oglebooger
>
> Long enough that people don't argue about it. With the DLP RP TVs, the
> life span will be limited by how many $200 to $300 light bulbs you are
> willing to replace every 4000 to 8000 hours of use over the years,
> possibly a failure of the color wheel or electronics after the warranty
> has expired, and maybe aging of the lenses. Newer, cheaper, better HD TVs
> in 4-5 years may cause you to replace the set before it wears out.
>
> Alan Figgatt
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:01:11 PM

"Elgo Draloow" <ogleboogernospam@charter.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know what the life expectancy is on these display chips?

TI claims >100,000 hours

http://www.dlp.com/about_dlp/about_dlp_FAQs_technology....
!