32bit Vista, 2gb ram + 2gig USB works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Okay from what i understand.. 32bit vista can only recognise 2.5 - 2.75 gb of ram... What if i have 2gb of ram, and use a 2gb usb for ready boost. Will it work ?

Thanks.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
2nm38lk.jpg

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
* 512MB required for Vista Capable. 1GB required for Vista Premium Ready systems.

** Approximately 3.3GB addressable memory. Vista reserves upper memory space for hardware usage.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
Okay from what i understand.. 32bit vista can only recognise 2.5 - 2.75 gb of ram... What if i have 2gb of ram, and use a 2gb usb for ready boost. Will it work ?

Thanks.
As far as memory is concerned, it should run nice and Readyboost will operate great (if you need it). Any benefit seen from Readyboost is only a function of how often you hit your pagefile<period>

Just so you know, most flash drives are not fast enough for Readyboost so unless the manufacturer has certified it or you actually run 'the' test, you won't know if your particular one will work.

Good luck.

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
The question is, will it recognise and use all 4gb of ram for superfetch and etc? or just 750mb of the 2gb usb?

I am using 32bit vista and i heard it can only recognise up to 2.75gb of ram

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
The question is, will it recognise and use all 4gb of ram for superfetch and etc? or just 750mb of the 2gb usb?

I am using 32bit vista and i heard it can only recognise up to 2.75gb of ram
I think you may be a bit mixed up about how the 2G flash-drive works with ReadyBoost and Vista. The quick answer is that you will only have 2G of ram and faster access to your page-file (a.k.a. virtual memory). In Vista (or most anything else for that matter) the flash-drive is just another disk drive, it does not increase or change your system's available ram in any way.

ReadyBoost uses the flash-drive to 'mirror' the page-file that Vista automatically creates on your hard-drive. It then configures Vista to read page-file request from the flash drive rather than the hard-drive. This read-redirection gives Vista an improvement in overall system performance because the seek-time for a flash-drive is around 900us (its really 0 but there is some small overhead) and the seek-time for a hard-drive is around 10,000us. You will even see a more significant improvement using ReadyBoost if you are also working with other files since you do not need to actually move the disk heads to access the page-file (saving 2x seek times).

A lot of people think that you won't see any advantage with ReadyBoost unless you have a small amount of memory. This is just not true but it may be where you are coming from. ReadyBoost _really_ has nothing to do with the amount of memory in your system. It only improves the access-time for reading the page-file. Systems with little memory often access the page-file just as a 4G system that is being run hard will often access the page-file. Both can easily be put in a low-memory state, it depends on what the user is doing.

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Joke : Thanks alot, that was what i was confused about.

ASsman : Thanks for the reply, a computer savvy person would understand what you said, but im not :). Vista is new to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.