Hard Drive died. Do I have to buy Vista again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlaavenger

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I had a Vista upgrade on my hard drive but I thinks the drive has died. Do I need to buy a full version of vista for the new hard drive I end up getting?
How does it work?

Solution
No, you don't need to purchase Vista again for a hard drive. Just replace your drive then either:
1) Re-install XP, then upgrade it to Vista again or
2) Do a "clean install" with your Vista upgrade. Instructions here:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Personally, I prefer the "clean install".

As long as you're just replacing the drive, you shouldn't have any problems.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I reinstalled twice. You do not have to buy vista again. Installed over xp pro then went fully to windows vista due to the fact I only had 60gb hard drive on my laptop. Next week I will reinstall again with a 250gb hard drive.

mirski57

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Just be prepared to have to call MS to get a new activation key.
I replaced my single C:\ drive with a RAID 0 C:\ and I had to call MS to get new activation ID. THe automated activation system didn't let me do it; I had to talk to a actual person.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I had a Vista upgrade on my hard drive but I thinks the drive has died. Do I need to buy a full version of vista for the new hard drive I end up getting?
How does it work?
Yes!
You need to buy a new copy of Vista each time you install it, the only exception is for the full-on retail Ultimate version.

j/k

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
You do NOT need to buy a new copy of Vista if your hard drive dies. I've got an OEM copy of Home Premium that I installed once and then reinstalled twice, once on a different hard drive. You'll have to call home to MS, but all they'll ask is if you have Vista on more than one computer.

Just tell them what you're doing and why, and tell them you only have one computer, and they'll give you a new activation key.

Status
Not open for further replies.