New Motherboard and XP activation

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Windows XP
May 2, 2005 8:21:14 PM

I have a Dell PC and the motherboard, power supply, went bad. (monster surge
knocked them out). I decided this is a good time to upgrade my tiny HD
since it's in the shop anyway. The hold HD will become a second HD.
Once I have the motherboard replaced etc., can I still install and activate
XP home?

More about : motherboard activation

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 8:21:15 PM

When the time comes to activate, try to activate online. If it has been
longer than four months since the original activation, it may work. If not,
call the number listed in Activate by Phone. Explain what happened to
Microsoft and they will give you a new activation number to type in. It
should not be a problem. If there is a problem, ask to speak to a manager and
explain it to them.

"Pete" wrote:

> I have a Dell PC and the motherboard, power supply, went bad. (monster surge
> knocked them out). I decided this is a good time to upgrade my tiny HD
> since it's in the shop anyway. The hold HD will become a second HD.
> Once I have the motherboard replaced etc., can I still install and activate
> XP home?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 8:21:15 PM

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Pete" wrote:

| I have a Dell PC and the motherboard, power supply, went bad. (monster surge
| knocked them out). I decided this is a good time to upgrade my tiny HD
| since it's in the shop anyway. The hold HD will become a second HD.
| Once I have the motherboard replaced etc., can I still install and activate
| XP home?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0518-0, 05/02/2005
Tested on: 5/2/2005 3:10:41 PM
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 2, 2005 8:54:13 PM

"uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When the time comes to activate, try to activate online. If it has been
> longer than four months since the original activation, it may work. If
not,
> call the number listed in Activate by Phone. Explain what happened to
> Microsoft and they will give you a new activation number to type in. It
> should not be a problem. If there is a problem, ask to speak to a manager
and
> explain it to them.
>

> "Pete" wrote:
>
> > I have a Dell PC and the motherboard, power supply, went bad. (monster
surge
> > knocked them out). I decided this is a good time to upgrade my tiny HD
> > since it's in the shop anyway. The hold HD will become a second HD.
> > Once I have the motherboard replaced etc., can I still install and
activate
> > XP home?

I was afraid of the combination of the new MB and OEM version of XP.
-Pete
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 9:15:24 PM

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote:

>I have a Dell PC and the motherboard, power supply, went bad. (monster surge
>knocked them out). I decided this is a good time to upgrade my tiny HD
>since it's in the shop anyway. The hold HD will become a second HD.
>Once I have the motherboard replaced etc., can I still install and activate
>XP home?

If your Dell system has a BIOS Locked OEM version of Windows XP then
you will have an activation problem.

Look on the Start Menu under Accessories - System Tools for the
"Activate Windows" entry.

If that item is not there then your OEM version is BIOS Locked and you
will not be able to activate it on a different motherboard, unless
that motherboard is also from Dell.

If you do have the Activate Windows item under Accessories - System
Tools then your Dell OEM Windows XP is from prior to Dell adopting the
SLP (BIOS Lock) system for their CDs and it should repeat should
activate okay if installed on different hardware.

p.s. If your hardware was fried by a power surge then the replacement
should be covered by your home insurance. Make sure you keep the
claim file active just in case you do have to purchase a new Windows
license.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 9:15:25 PM

I am assuming that the motherboard is from Dell. If not, Ron might be right.
If the replacement board is OEM, it should not be a problem.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Dell PC and the motherboard, power supply, went bad. (monster surge
> >knocked them out). I decided this is a good time to upgrade my tiny HD
> >since it's in the shop anyway. The hold HD will become a second HD.
> >Once I have the motherboard replaced etc., can I still install and activate
> >XP home?
> >

> If your Dell system has a BIOS Locked OEM version of Windows XP then
> you will have an activation problem.
>
> Look on the Start Menu under Accessories - System Tools for the
> "Activate Windows" entry.
>
> If that item is not there then your OEM version is BIOS Locked and you
> will not be able to activate it on a different motherboard, unless
> that motherboard is also from Dell.
>
> If you do have the Activate Windows item under Accessories - System
> Tools then your Dell OEM Windows XP is from prior to Dell adopting the
> SLP (BIOS Lock) system for their CDs and it should repeat should
> activate okay if installed on different hardware.
>
> p.s. If your hardware was fried by a power surge then the replacement
> should be covered by your home insurance. Make sure you keep the
> claim file active just in case you do have to purchase a new Windows
> license.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

May 2, 2005 9:30:00 PM

> p.s. If your hardware was fried by a power surge then the replacement
> should be covered by your home insurance. Make sure you keep the
> claim file active just in case you do have to purchase a new Windows
> license.
>
> Good luck

Thanks for the good information.

PS: the cost of the new hardware is LESS than our home insurance deductable.

-Pete
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 9:30:01 PM

You should still try activating over the internet. If that fails call them
and explain what happened omitting the generic mb info. If all else fails,
buy a new XP if you have $300 orn buy a Linux CD.
--
"Pete" wrote:

> > p.s. If your hardware was fried by a power surge then the replacement
> > should be covered by your home insurance. Make sure you keep the
> > claim file active just in case you do have to purchase a new Windows
> > license.
> >
> > Good luck
> >

> Thanks for the good information.
>
> PS: the cost of the new hardware is LESS than our home insurance deductable.
>
> -Pete

May 2, 2005 9:36:23 PM

> I am assuming that the motherboard is from Dell. If not, Ron might be
right.
> If the replacement board is OEM, it should not be a problem.

Replacement MB is generic "asrock"; NOT from Dell.
My computer shop does not have "Dell motherboards" as far as I know.
-Pete
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 10:22:11 PM

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell PC and the motherboard, power supply, went bad. (monster
>surge
> knocked them out). I decided this is a good time to upgrade my tiny HD
> since it's in the shop anyway. The hold HD will become a second HD.
> Once I have the motherboard replaced etc., can I still install and
> activate
> XP home?

Your Dell OEM Windows XP is BIOS locked to a Dell motherboard. That's why
Windows XP on a Dell doesn't require activation.

It may install with the new motherboard but activation will fail.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
May 2, 2005 10:26:51 PM

> You should still try activating over the internet. If that fails call them
> and explain what happened omitting the generic mb info. If all else fails,
> buy a new XP if you have $300 orn buy a Linux CD.
> --
XP home upgrade does not cost $300.
I would use Linux if I understood it better, and if it ran Office 2000.
-Pete
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 10:26:52 PM

One thing I forgot. The Dell CD might not install on a non Dell motherboard.

"Pete" wrote:

> "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You should still try activating over the internet. If that fails call them
> > and explain what happened omitting the generic mb info. If all else fails,
> > buy a new XP if you have $300 orn buy a Linux CD.
> > --
> XP home upgrade does not cost $300.
> I would use Linux if I understood it better, and if it ran Office 2000.
> -Pete

May 2, 2005 11:36:26 PM

Pete wrote:
|| I would use Linux if I understood it better, and if it ran Office
|| 2000.

It runs Open Office which for the "average" user is as good as Office 2000!

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

uggabugga wrote:
> You should still try activating over the internet. If that fails call
> them and explain what happened omitting the generic mb info. If all
> else fails, buy a new XP if you have $300 orn buy a Linux CD.

Now, I wonder why Ron is the MVP and not you...? Could it possibly have
something to do with the fact that he knows what he's talking about and you
don't? On a BIOS locked system there will *BE* no activation wizard because
it's not required as the installation is tied to that particular
motherboard. Without the wizard, how's he supposed to activate online (or
over the phone for that matter) brainiac?

Please don't give out misleading information.

May 3, 2005 6:31:12 PM

> uggabugga wrote:
> > You should still try activating over the internet. If that fails call
> > them and explain what happened omitting the generic mb info. If all
> > else fails, buy a new XP if you have $300 orn buy a Linux CD.
>

> Now, I wonder why Ron is the MVP and not you...? Could it possibly have
> something to do with the fact that he knows what he's talking about and
you
> don't? On a BIOS locked system there will *BE* no activation wizard
because
> it's not required as the installation is tied to that particular
> motherboard. Without the wizard, how's he supposed to activate online (or
> over the phone for that matter) brainiac?
>
> Please don't give out misleading information.
>

> --
> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

I have no idea what you're talking about, or why the antagonistic tone.
-Pete
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2005 8:38:16 PM

Whatever. I never claimed to be an expert. Just offering suggestions. All I
ever see from you is nasty comments to others. I'll bet everyone loves
working with you. I'll bet that's how you treat you users. Everyone is a
moron except for you. Brainiac. Who the heck would even use a word like that?
So, you insult people and resort to name calling because of something you
read on the Internet. Get a Life...............

Let's just review a few of your past unbelievably rude responses.

How the bloody hell should we know? You're the one sitting in front of your
computer!

The dummy should contact the application's developer, not the developer of
the operating system...

Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes your
posts very hard to read.

Now you're an expert on being rude too.......................................

And that's only what I could find in 13 seconds. I'll look through them all
and post them later.

Ever hear of Anger Management? How many times have you been divorced?

I can't believe that they made you an MVP. Oh yeah your just an angry whore.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> uggabugga wrote:
> > You should still try activating over the internet. If that fails call
> > them and explain what happened omitting the generic mb info. If all
> > else fails, buy a new XP if you have $300 orn buy a Linux CD.
>

> Now, I wonder why Ron is the MVP and not you...? Could it possibly have
> something to do with the fact that he knows what he's talking about and you
> don't? On a BIOS locked system there will *BE* no activation wizard because
> it's not required as the installation is tied to that particular
> motherboard. Without the wizard, how's he supposed to activate online (or
> over the phone for that matter) brainiac?
>
> Please don't give out misleading information.
>

> --
> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 12:41:13 AM

You delude yourself if you think Tick has a job!
He/she/it lives with Mum and Dad.

uggabugga wrote:
> Whatever. I never claimed to be an expert. Just offering suggestions.
> All I ever see from you is nasty comments to others. I'll bet
> everyone loves working with you. I'll bet that's how you treat you
> users. Everyone is a moron except for you. Brainiac. Who the heck
> would even use a word like that? So, you insult people and resort to
> name calling because of something you read on the Internet. Get a
> Life...............
>
> Let's just review a few of your past unbelievably rude responses.
>
> How the bloody hell should we know? You're the one sitting in front
> of your computer!
>
> The dummy should contact the application's developer, not the
> developer of the operating system...
>
> Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes
> your posts very hard to read.
>
> Now you're an expert on being rude
> too.......................................
>
> And that's only what I could find in 13 seconds. I'll look through
> them all and post them later.
>
> Ever hear of Anger Management? How many times have you been divorced?
>
> I can't believe that they made you an MVP. Oh yeah your just an angry
> whore.
>
>> uggabugga wrote:
>>> You should still try activating over the internet. If that fails
>>> call them and explain what happened omitting the generic mb info.
>>> If all else fails, buy a new XP if you have $300 orn buy a Linux CD.
>>

>> Now, I wonder why Ron is the MVP and not you...? Could it possibly
>> have something to do with the fact that he knows what he's talking
>> about and you don't? On a BIOS locked system there will *BE* no
>> activation wizard because it's not required as the installation is
>> tied to that particular motherboard. Without the wizard, how's he
>> supposed to activate online (or over the phone for that matter)
>> brainiac?
>>
>> Please don't give out misleading information.
>>

>> --
>> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2005 7:31:04 PM

Because she is an angry whore. Read past posts by her. Nothing but degrading
people & bitching and complaining. Her comments were directed at me.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

> I have no idea what you're talking about, or why the antagonistic tone.
> -Pete
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2005 1:59:51 PM

Any other mb will not work with your xp oem. It has to be dell and darn
close if not the exact motherboard. You will never get to try and
activate it. You will be informed to insert the correct disk and that
is all. Maybe not in those exact words but you get the point. Most oem
versions do have a bios lock and some even resort to strictly 1 certain
mother board even if it's the same pc mb model. My emachines pc for
example had oem, even an exact replacement mb wouldn't allow my oem to
work if it wasn't set for it at the company. A windows upgrade will not
work. it is not for oem and does not install a whole new OS. If you had
an original xp home then an xp pro upgrade would work. Not from an OEM.
You will have to buy xp home or pro if you have a different mb. Linux
is free, and i believe there is a fedora 4.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
!