Status
Not open for further replies.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
For the life of me i cannot get this to work!

I have a PC and a laptop, both with vista ultimate, bot connected to our wireless broadband downstairs.

Yet i cannot get either to acces either shared folders. Access denied, and login type box appear.

Ive been on microsofts site, read there stuff, i have surfed and read peoples posts, but i cannot get this to work.

Can anyone help im going insane here!

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
For the life of me i cannot get this to work!

I have a PC and a laptop, both with vista ultimate, bot connected to our wireless broadband downstairs.

Yet i cannot get either to acces either shared folders. Access denied, and login type box appear.

Ive been on microsofts site, read there stuff, i have surfed and read peoples posts, but i cannot get this to work.

Can anyone help im going insane here!
I don't know if this will help but here are a couple of ideas that you may not have considered...

In addition to sharing, we also do a lot of remote logins and found that we all needed to be members of the 'Remote Desktop Users' group in order to accomplish this. The only exception is 'the' administrator which is not even enabled but it apparently cannot do remote logins<period> Also, I have set all of my shares to allow 'everyone' rather than just individual users (no one can get into my wireless network<also period> so that is not an issue). I am using Norton 360 which has built in firewall rules for allowing remote access (any ip (mac-addr) on my subnet), I do not know what 'defender' does.

I am succesfully sharing files, drives, printers and just about anything else you can think of so speak-up if you continue to have issues.

Good luck.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Still nothing, i have tried enabling remote control etc on both machines, i've been through every option i can think of, why is it so complicated? xp file sharing was so much easier.

I've double checked that all workgroups are the same.

Can anyone help?

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Can you see the other PC? In other words, if you placed the file you want to share in the Public Shared folders, are they showing up as even being seen by the other PC?

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
At the moment, i can acces the laptops public folder from the pc, but i cannot even get into the pc via the laptop. only the public folder is accessible, cannot get any other folder to work.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
If you get a public connection on either PC - the issue is all perms. You can create a user on the PC you want to access with a password and share out the folder that you want to access using that user in the share perms. Can you connect with the new user? If so, you just need to fix your perms on the other accounts (not Admin).

pdhcentral

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Within the network and sharing centre, there are options for the type of sharing your want to use. Pick the opposite one to the one you've currently got selected.

Then remove the share from the folders, restart pc, re-share making sure that the user EVERYONE is in the user permissions box, type it in if you can't see it, then select what level you want, read or read/change, etc.

This should work. I had Vista and this is how I did it.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Can someone possibly talk me through how to solve this problem? its such a pain in the ass not being able to just select any old folder and share it. This whole permissions thing is very confusing, so many god damn menu's.

mirski57

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
I had this problem on my file sharing and my printer sharing on a Vista Ultimate machine.

Turns out, that if you have be logged in as a user with a password when you share your items.

If you're logged in as yourself, and you have a BLANK or NULL password, then Vista won't allow anyone else to touch the files, even if they are shared to "everyone" with "full access".

I had to create a user called "printer" and setup a password for it, just to share out my printer with my other home PCs.

blowie_be

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I also have the same problem. Searched for hours for the solution, and I don't use an additione firewall or virusscanner. I have wirelless with my vista ultimate machine, and xp as file server with ethernet interface.
I can see the shares, but cannot acces them.

It seems that it can only access the shares with the ethernet interface. So I connected the lan cable with my vista, and I can access my files on my xp machine without any problems...

But I want it without wires... There must be an higher security level on the wlan adapter....

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
i set up another account called 'file sharing' and set it a password, restarted both machines and i could access my vista machine via my laptop. Thanks for the help people, life is so much better now :)

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Ok, so after goign away for a ocuple of days it seems my lovely file sharing has 'changed' and or stopped. (sigh) I can now only view 'my documents' of the PC from the laptop. Is working fine the other way aroudn tho.

Also does anyone know how to get the sync centre to work?

unclemeat

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
This was mentioned earlier but in case you didn't try it, right click the folder you shared and make sure in the Sharing settings "Everyone" is allowed access to your share. I don't have a machine with Vista on it so I can't do a walk through, but just check the Sharing permissions and add a user named "Everyone" if it isn't already there.

Status
Not open for further replies.