Remote desktop Question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am running XP Pro SP2.
I have enabled remote desktop connections on the XP worstations in the
domain. I want to be able to log onto these workstations and NOT log the
user off that is logged on locally. Can this be done?

Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop question
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Mike,

    Remote desktop works like that "only one user at a time" However you can do
    remote assistance.
    With Remote Assistance the main user can grant you limited access to JUST
    see what's on screen or give you FULL control of his computer while still
    looking at what you are doing.

    Rafael

    "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    >I am running XP Pro SP2.
    > I have enabled remote desktop connections on the XP worstations in the
    > domain. I want to be able to log onto these workstations and NOT log the
    > user off that is logged on locally. Can this be done?
    >
    > Mike

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thats too bad. The idea is that I would be able to do any administrative
    tasks on their worstation without having to log them out and log in as
    administrator. I would rather not have to have them stop working in order
    to do administrative tasks. Oh well, maybe in Longhorn?

    Mike

    "Rafael T" <okinawapro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    >
    > Remote desktop works like that "only one user at a time" However you can
    > do remote assistance.
    > With Remote Assistance the main user can grant you limited access to JUST
    > see what's on screen or give you FULL control of his computer while still
    > looking at what you are doing.
    >
    > Rafael
    >
    > "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
    >>I am running XP Pro SP2.
    >> I have enabled remote desktop connections on the XP worstations in the
    >> domain. I want to be able to log onto these workstations and NOT log the
    >> user off that is logged on locally. Can this be done?
    >>
    >> Mike

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hello,

    You can do many tasks remotely with windows
    tools. It is not my field exactly however the services manager,
    perfmon, event viewer,
    regedit, can all be pointed at another machine and I am sure that there
    are more.
    You can clearly mount drives.

    There is some software, Dameware NT utilities, that allows many admin
    tasks to be carried out remotely.
    There is a free trial period, have a look.

    Usual caveat, I am a satisfied user with no other connection
    to Dameware. www.dameware.com.

    Windows server allows up to 2 additional remote users without
    purchasing terminal services licenses.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I know, I use most all of the remote tools. However there is alway
    situation where I have to ask the user to log out, and I have to sit at
    their machine and log in as administrator. This woudl be much easier/better
    if I could do these things without interrupting the users. No big deal
    though, just a minor inconvenience.

    Mike
    <anybody43@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > You can do many tasks remotely with windows
    > tools. It is not my field exactly however the services manager,
    > perfmon, event viewer,
    > regedit, can all be pointed at another machine and I am sure that there
    > are more.
    > You can clearly mount drives.
    >
    > There is some software, Dameware NT utilities, that allows many admin
    > tasks to be carried out remotely.
    > There is a free trial period, have a look.
    >
    > Usual caveat, I am a satisfied user with no other connection
    > to Dameware. www.dameware.com.
    >
    > Windows server allows up to 2 additional remote users without
    > purchasing terminal services licenses.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Mike,

    Have you tried remote assistance? It can be configure to send request for
    help (initiate by the user) or provide help (initiate by you)
    give it a try, it might be all you need.

    >I know, I use most all of the remote tools. However there is alway
    >situation where I have to ask the user to log out, and I have to sit at
    >their machine and log in as administrator. This woudl be much
    >easier/better if I could do these things without interrupting the users.
    >No big deal though, just a minor inconvenience.
    >
    > Mike
    > <anybody43@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> You can do many tasks remotely with windows
    >> tools. It is not my field exactly however the services manager,
    >> perfmon, event viewer,
    >> regedit, can all be pointed at another machine and I am sure that there
    >> are more.
    >> You can clearly mount drives.
    >>
    >> There is some software, Dameware NT utilities, that allows many admin
    >> tasks to be carried out remotely.
    >> There is a free trial period, have a look.
    >>
    >> Usual caveat, I am a satisfied user with no other connection
    >> to Dameware. www.dameware.com.
    >>
    >> Windows server allows up to 2 additional remote users without
    >> purchasing terminal services licenses.

Remote Desktop Microsoft Windows XP