Remote desktop Question

May 2, 2005 2:00:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am running XP Pro SP2.
I have enabled remote desktop connections on the XP worstations in the
domain. I want to be able to log onto these workstations and NOT log the
user off that is logged on locally. Can this be done?

Mike
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:18:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Mike,

Remote desktop works like that "only one user at a time" However you can do
remote assistance.
With Remote Assistance the main user can grant you limited access to JUST
see what's on screen or give you FULL control of his computer while still
looking at what you are doing.

Rafael

"Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
>I am running XP Pro SP2.
> I have enabled remote desktop connections on the XP worstations in the
> domain. I want to be able to log onto these workstations and NOT log the
> user off that is logged on locally. Can this be done?
>
> Mike

May 3, 2005 1:18:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thats too bad. The idea is that I would be able to do any administrative
tasks on their worstation without having to log them out and log in as
administrator. I would rather not have to have them stop working in order
to do administrative tasks. Oh well, maybe in Longhorn?

Mike

"Rafael T" <okinawapro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
>
> Remote desktop works like that "only one user at a time" However you can
> do remote assistance.
> With Remote Assistance the main user can grant you limited access to JUST
> see what's on screen or give you FULL control of his computer while still
> looking at what you are doing.
>
> Rafael
>
> "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
>>I am running XP Pro SP2.
>> I have enabled remote desktop connections on the XP worstations in the
>> domain. I want to be able to log onto these workstations and NOT log the
>> user off that is logged on locally. Can this be done?
>>
>> Mike

May 3, 2005 3:20:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,

You can do many tasks remotely with windows
tools. It is not my field exactly however the services manager,
perfmon, event viewer,
regedit, can all be pointed at another machine and I am sure that there
are more.
You can clearly mount drives.

There is some software, Dameware NT utilities, that allows many admin
tasks to be carried out remotely.
There is a free trial period, have a look.

Usual caveat, I am a satisfied user with no other connection
to Dameware. www.dameware.com.

Windows server allows up to 2 additional remote users without
purchasing terminal services licenses.
May 3, 2005 5:11:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I know, I use most all of the remote tools. However there is alway
situation where I have to ask the user to log out, and I have to sit at
their machine and log in as administrator. This woudl be much easier/better
if I could do these things without interrupting the users. No big deal
though, just a minor inconvenience.

Mike
<anybody43@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> You can do many tasks remotely with windows
> tools. It is not my field exactly however the services manager,
> perfmon, event viewer,
> regedit, can all be pointed at another machine and I am sure that there
> are more.
> You can clearly mount drives.
>
> There is some software, Dameware NT utilities, that allows many admin
> tasks to be carried out remotely.
> There is a free trial period, have a look.
>
> Usual caveat, I am a satisfied user with no other connection
> to Dameware. www.dameware.com.
>
> Windows server allows up to 2 additional remote users without
> purchasing terminal services licenses.

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:56:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Mike,

Have you tried remote assistance? It can be configure to send request for
help (initiate by the user) or provide help (initiate by you)
give it a try, it might be all you need.

news:o $i7cxBUFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!