Sign in with
Your question

SPTD.SYS - Blue Screen of Death

Last response: in Windows XP
April 16, 2007 8:17:48 PM

Hello all!

Computer specs: 2.8Ghz P4, 1Gb pc3200 Kingston DDR HyperX, Inno3d GeForce 7800 GS 256mb (AGP version), 80Gb Maxtor Harddisk, 400W PSU. :oops: 
Runs Windows XP Proffesional.

This afternoon when I got home and booted up my computer, it started up as normally, right until it got to the point where Windows starts to load, where it gave me a blue screen with the usual "if this is the first time you see this bla bla bla...", then finally a long error code and mentioning something about some SPTD.SYS file.
It worked completely fine yesterday, only thing I might fear have damaged it was that instead of turning it off the "right" way, I just pressed and held the power button 'till it shut down. Stupid me. :cry: 

Now, I'm no genious on computers, so I really have no idea where to begin. I tried booting in safe mode, didn't work either. I can enter the BIOS, but everything in there looks normal (although I guess that some damaged file on my harddisk wouldn't have an effect on that?), so I haven't done anything besides this.

I certainly don't hope I have to format my disk to make it work again, as I have alot of school-related documents and music which I would like to keep. :x

NB: Forgive me for my English, it's my secondary language (I'm Danish). :wink:
April 17, 2007 4:14:51 PM

Quote:
Hello all!

Computer specs: 2.8Ghz P4, 1Gb pc3200 Kingston DDR HyperX, Inno3d GeForce 7800 GS 256mb (AGP version), 80Gb Maxtor Harddisk, 400W PSU. :oops: 
Runs Windows XP Proffesional.

This afternoon when I got home and booted up my computer, it started up as normally, right until it got to the point where Windows starts to load, where it gave me a blue screen with the usual "if this is the first time you see this bla bla bla...", then finally a long error code and mentioning something about some SPTD.SYS file.
It worked completely fine yesterday, only thing I might fear have damaged it was that instead of turning it off the "right" way, I just pressed and held the power button 'till it shut down. Stupid me. :cry: 

Now, I'm no genious on computers, so I really have no idea where to begin. I tried booting in safe mode, didn't work either. I can enter the BIOS, but everything in there looks normal (although I guess that some damaged file on my harddisk wouldn't have an effect on that?), so I haven't done anything besides this.

I certainly don't hope I have to format my disk to make it work again, as I have alot of school-related documents and music which I would like to keep. :x

NB: Forgive me for my English, it's my secondary language (I'm Danish). :wink:

Only plug in the mouse, keyboard, and monitor while booting, and reset the BIOS settings to default.
April 17, 2007 5:26:06 PM

Hmm, now it doesn't even get to the point where it starts loading Windows, it just freezes when a some point. :?
Related resources
April 17, 2007 9:09:33 PM

If possible, remove the hard drive, put it in another computer and backup your data. If you can't do this, it should be safe to do a Windows Repair booting off the CD.
April 19, 2007 12:49:12 PM

Quote:
If possible, remove the hard drive, put it in another computer and backup your data. If you can't do this, it should be safe to do a Windows Repair booting off the CD.

Thank you for the help, posting from my own computer again now! :D 
April 19, 2007 4:10:54 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the help, posting from my own computer again now! :D 

Love happy endings
January 24, 2009 8:33:56 PM

I just fixed FREQUENT Firefox crashes (and consequent system crashes) on my WinXP machine by updating sptd.sys to v. 1.56.

I downloaded it at http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads. It's free and apparently, essential. They have 32- and 64-bit versions.

Amazingly, months of browser crashes have stopped! And my Windows Event Viewer is longer filled with mysterious error messages.
Anonymous
August 7, 2010 1:53:14 AM

Well if I must ask do you use alcohol 52 or daemon tools? If you do and you installed a new version of this file you need to remove it. Install the one that comes with alcohol 52 or daemon tools. The ones that they come with are the version that have been tested with these programs and are stable. If you go to higher version number than what they came with you go at your own risk. What will happen from time to time is daemon or alcohol will have a conflict and give you your blue screen.
November 15, 2011 1:48:35 PM

:) 

Thanks to the previous post my computer is alive again!

On my laptop with Windows XP pro SP3, I had the same issue, continuous reboot with blu screen.
I had an hdd image made last year I put it on another HDD and try to boot with this new HDD, everything was OK
I decided to copy the sptd.sys file from my old image (dicember 2010) and then put it on my buggy HDD and I'm able to boot!!!!
I have an error with daemon tools lite but I will uninstall it :p 

Thanks again
!