Upgrade...PLEASE

G

Hello All!
First post to this forum...LOVE the site.ROCKS!
The jist...
40gig Maxtor being taken from Compaq and being put in 1.4 tbird I am building. On a home LAN also...if makes differance.
What do I need to delete from Windows ME the LAST time I shut it down on current machine???Right before first boot in new MoBo.
I know there has to be a way....I do not want to reload Windows on this drive. Network and sound cards from current system are going to new rig too.
If ANYONE has the answer to this PLEASE post it. Step by Step if possible. This is my first "built -by me".
:)
I have studied for 2 months now, and this question still stumps me.

----------God Bless America

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
Scary as it sounds... last time I had to do that I simply plugged the drive into the new system and booted. ME pleasantly surprised me by discovering the new hardware by itself and uninstalling the old. I was not expecting it to work out well, but that time it did. I know of no way to reset your driver list or config. I wouldn't even suggest this kamikaze method if you had NT or 95. But it worked at least once so far for me on Millenium. just be sure to have 3rd party drivers on hand in case.

G

Thank Youu!!! Anyone else have a "special way"?? I have heard five or so different answers Here's one I'll share. "Prior to shutting down- open control panel --->device manager - system devices and remove them. Also remove the hard drive controller. The preference is to do this from safe mode. "

I am NOT sure this works...Try at own risk!!

This is part of my confusion. People say this,people say that. Ah Heck!
Thank you to all that take time to read this post and go the extra mile to reply or clarify what has already been posted. I think "Tom's" will will be my only source for this type of question! Great board!!!

------My thoughts are with anyone who has family involved in the terrorism attacks in this country. This has shaken me personally, and I can't imagine what life is like for the families of the lost and missing. God be with you all.

Sometimes I stop to think then forget to begin again.

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
Yes you could do that, and I have done it on older OS's. Supposedly you shouldn't have to, but I doubt removing all devices from the device manager would hurt. Windows will find most (or all) devices again upon reboot. Still not as clean as a fresh install, but if it works it works. Let us know what you try and how it works out, I for one am interested in the results.