Norton Ghost and Activation

May 2, 2005 10:00:49 PM

Maybe a stupid question here:
If I need to put in a new Hard Disk, would Ghost preserve the activation?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:00:50 PM

I have done it and yes there was no need to reactivate.

"Pete" wrote:

> Maybe a stupid question here:
> If I need to put in a new Hard Disk, would Ghost preserve the activation?

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:07:35 PM

GHOST neither preserves nor destroys the activation of XP. Activation is
independent of GHOST.

The problem, if any, will be that (1) XP senses new the new hard drive, (2)
that you have made other changes, (3) that the sum of all the changes will
cause XP to ask you to re-activate.

By itself, re-activation is no big deal, IF YOU OWN A RETAIL LICENSE, full
version or upgrade. However, if you own an OEM license (e.g., Dell,
Gateway, Compaq PC), then you will not be able to re-activate, if XP decides
that re-activation is required.

However, most OEM licenses are "BIOS locked", which is different from the
activation for retail versions of XP. With such an OEM version of XP, you
can change anything EXCEPT for the motherboard. The only cheap way to avoid
activation issues, and still to replace the motherboard, is to get one from
the original PC vendor, who will also handle the activation issues. But,
(1) if a warrantee claim, the PC maker may give you only an equivalent to
the original motherboard, hard drive, etc, (2) they may require you to use a
restoration CD, meaning that your hard drive will be formatted, losing all
data, settings, etc, (3) if out of warrantee, they may charge a lot, or
refuse to even do anything.

If you attempt to replace the motherboard on your own on an OEM machine,
plan on buying a full retail copy of XP (about $200), then perform a "repair
install" before attempting to boot XP using the new hardware. Of course,
with a full retail copy of XP, you can also change anything else you want,
like hard drive, video card, etc at the same time.

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Maybe a stupid question here:
> If I need to put in a new Hard Disk, would Ghost preserve the activation?

Related resources
May 2, 2005 11:46:59 PM

Great.

"uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have done it and yes there was no need to reactivate.
>
> "Pete" wrote:
>
> > Maybe a stupid question here:
> > If I need to put in a new Hard Disk, would Ghost preserve the
activation?

May 3, 2005 2:37:08 AM

I just tried it on a new HD and it didn't work.

"uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have done it and yes there was no need to reactivate.
>
> "Pete" wrote:
>
>> Maybe a stupid question here:
>> If I need to put in a new Hard Disk, would Ghost preserve the activation?

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:37:09 AM

Just save the file "wpa.dbl" from the system32 folder, then copy it to the
same folder on reinstall...now the activation is carried over.

Bobby

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o Yxde.405$6E.391@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
>I just tried it on a new HD and it didn't work.
>
> "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have done it and yes there was no need to reactivate.
>>
>> "Pete" wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe a stupid question here:
>>> If I need to put in a new Hard Disk, would Ghost preserve the
>>> activation?

May 3, 2005 6:31:55 PM

thank you.
-Pete

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> Just save the file "wpa.dbl" from the system32 folder, then copy it to the
> same folder on reinstall...now the activation is carried over.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o Yxde.405$6E.391@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> >I just tried it on a new HD and it didn't work.
> >
> > "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have done it and yes there was no need to reactivate.

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:44:06 PM

Wow, very good dude........................

I constantly have to waste time calling MS to reactivate. Thanks.

!