Your question

Damn thing wont work

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2007 11:20:57 AM

Ok Ive finally gatherd all my hardware (after about a 2 month delay) and have put it all together.

When I first powered it up, I put the Windows XP disc in and it started to load windows as normal. It got half way and then decided that i didnt have a HDD (although I had checked the conections and the HDD LED is blinking). The BIOS recognises the SATA DVD drive and the SATA HDD.

Now when I try to install windows, the POST screen stops at 'verifying DMI'. Sometimes it says update complete, and then hangs again with a flashing underscore.

I've tried clearing the CMOS, doesnt help.

Sometimes it claims that the CPU doesnt work properly. Its temp is 32C.
Ive cheack the heatsink is positioned properly, although the TIM doesnt look like its spead properly on the CPU, its just a circle that doesnt cover the edges, but the CPU is not overheating.

Could it be that I need to install the latest BIOS for C2D compatability?

Could one the RAM sticks be bad (they are OCZ PC26400 platinum XTC edtion)

My MB is the Abit AW9D max, CPU is the E4300, HDD is a WD caviar 400GB (if that helps), the graphic card seems to be working fine (7600GT), the psu is the Corsair hx 620w (more than enough juice and it works fine with my old pc).

More about : damn thing wont work

May 2, 2007 12:03:05 PM

you probably need the disk with the s-ata driver

so, when the setup starts: press F6 and insert the disk that came with the motherboard.

good luck!
May 2, 2007 12:10:25 PM

might be SATA drivers. I would also run memtest86+. Are the Drives on the right ports and IDE set to right position on channel?
Related resources
May 2, 2007 12:25:32 PM

Whoppi! Its working now. I set it to boot from the CD drive first, and nows its fine. I was so worried I hastily came here for help without looking on Abits site, which suggested booting from CD drive first with windows in it. Phew!

Thanks anyway (can I delete my own topics?)
This should probably be locked now, crisis over.
May 2, 2007 12:32:10 PM

always wanted to say this: RTFM :lol: 
May 2, 2007 1:12:53 PM

just re iterating what others have said
but you'll need to press F6 to install sata drivers
!