Sign in with
Your question
Closed

unable to play video full screen on second display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2007 11:53:19 AM

I have 2 displays hook up to 8800gts. Primary display is a 15"lcd secondary display is 32"lcd. The problem is when I play a video, it only appears on my 1st lcd, then I need to drag it over and enable it full screen to play. My previous set up was a agp ati card which work like a charm, it opens the video in both screens, full screen on the 2nd display.

I am using the driver from nvidia website, currently struggling to make it work.
Can any one pls help me out?
thanks in advance
May 2, 2007 12:30:27 PM

I have similar setup to you. In the "display setup" or'setup multiple displays' (depending on version) section of the Nvidia control panel you can select either 'clone display' or 'dualview'. You want clone if you want it to show up automatically.
May 2, 2007 3:26:20 PM

yes i tot of that as a last resort however my 32" lcd would be at at reduce resolution. currently 15 " set at 1027*768 and 32" at 1360*768.
Read up in the nvidia help section it states 8 series cards do not support full screen video display on secondary display. I feel so disappointed in their high end cards
thanks anyway
anyone with the same setup that can solve this?
pls...
Related resources
May 2, 2007 6:39:21 PM

make the 32'' your primary when you run those videos?
May 2, 2007 7:19:55 PM

well I have a 21" LCD and a 32" Hd TV. I simply drag the video over and then doubleclick the view window, which in most video players triggers full screen, the rsulting full screen video is perfect and in my HD default res of 1080i. I prefer this anyway as I can go on using my PC monitor for other stuff while the video plays. Since you ought to be able to do this too I don't see the need for using 'clone' at all. Dualview works for me every time.
May 2, 2007 7:32:53 PM

From the Microsoft Technet website:
Quote:
Multiple Monitors and DirectX
Only the primary monitor in a multiple monitor configuration can accelerate Direct 3D functions using the full capabilities of the monitor. Additionally, only the primary monitor can run DirectX applications in full-screen mode. For this reason, you need to make sure that the monitor with the best Direct 3D performance and features is the primary monitor.

To set the primary monitor in a multiple monitor configuration

In Control Panel, double-click Display .

Click the Settings tab, and select Use this monitor as the primary display .

Click OK .

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows200...
May 3, 2007 12:16:06 AM

firstly thanks to all
yes i am already in dual view and i can drag it over to make it full screen.
Previously my X1600pro ati can perform a full screen meaning when i play a video file, it will appear on both screens but a minimise screen on pri and full screen on sec while i can do whatever on the pri and watch the video on the sec. There is also a option setting in the ati control panel to select it full screen or non full screen while watching video on sec display. I do not need to drag anything as it is auto.
But now nvidia seems to remove this function in their nvidia control panel for 8 series cards. In their help section in the nvidia control panel, it shows how to enable full screen video play in the secondary display but i could not find this option in my setup
Anyone can confirm ?
Anyone with 7 or 6 series card can confirm if there is such a function for multiple display?
Thanks
May 13, 2007 10:26:42 PM

Quote:
From the Microsoft Technet website:
Multiple Monitors and DirectX
Only the primary monitor in a multiple monitor configuration can accelerate Direct 3D functions using the full capabilities of the monitor. Additionally, only the primary monitor can run DirectX applications in full-screen mode. For this reason, you need to make sure that the monitor with the best Direct 3D performance and features is the primary monitor.

To set the primary monitor in a multiple monitor configuration

In Control Panel, double-click Display .

Click the Settings tab, and select Use this monitor as the primary display .

Click OK .

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows200...

That's a real big problem if you want to use an external screen to play games / watch movies on a laptop (which will be my future situation since my beloved desktop system is too big to be moved over the ocean). I tried and googled for hours, but could not find any possibility to make the external monitor the primary display (option is always grayed out). The only solution that works is to switch off the notebooks screen, then use the key to switch internal - external. Now, only the external screen is active and has primary status. However, it uses the display settings from the notebook screen (which is widescreen), and hence is completely distorted. So I in addition need to adjust the resolution settings every time I want to play a game. If I extend the desktop to the external screen (use it as secondary), then it remembers the correct settings, but of course won't be used for DirectX applications due to the above reasons.

Is there really no simpler way? Is there any tool or hack which forces the stupid notebook to swap primary <-> secondary display, or at least remember correct settings for the external screen?

I don't understand why notebooks have to be such a pain in terms of displays. If I connect an external screen to my notebook, it is obviously better than the notebook screen. So it would seem just logical to automatically use the external screen as primary. But nooo, not only does it not switch automatically, it is not even possible manually!

Sorry for loosing it ... trying to find a solution for an obvious thing and failing after several hours just makes my blood cooking ...

So, any help would be highly appreciated :) 

- spitfire
Anonymous
May 28, 2010 4:28:02 AM

:hello: 
plz right click on desktop a popup menu is generate and go to properties now you click on setting tab and set the screen resolution on 1024 by 768 and click apply and OK, it could be work properly.
November 4, 2010 7:20:27 AM

hell sir Iam Working from planetprojections

Iwhant to Playing to Videos From My Loptop
Iwhant to Secand Display Softwar pl......Make Sher

THANK YOU
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 4, 2010 7:53:28 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!