Possibly Bad ASUS Striker Extreme?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Striker Extreme
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 2, 2007 1:00:32 PM

Hi All,
Full computer specs: computer specs (using bios 1102)
_Fully_ Patched and Updated Windows XP Professional.

I am trying to figure out if I had a bad board. Here are the symptoms:

I bought PC2-8500 DDR2 that should be able to run at 1066 5-5-5-15 @ 2T. When I installed the RAM and fired up the computer it reported 800 5-5-5-15 @ 1T. I have tried everything I can think of in "Extreme Tweaker" seeing it is SLI-Ready Memory I set CPUOC to 0% and when rebooting it reports 1066 5-5-5-15 @ 2T. Unfortunately the system is not stable, infact it wont even boot. So i was poking around in the bios and when I looked at the voltage monitor I saw:
VCore Voltage
3.3V Voltage
5V Voltage
12V Voltage

In the Manual it also shows (I do not have these):
Memory Voltage
1.2 HT Voltage
NB Voltage
SB Voltage
CPU VTT Voltage
DDR2 Termination Voltage

One final symptom:
Both ASUS PC Probe II and AI Booster fail to run correctly. The icons appear in the system tray and but when I try to open it nothing happens. Not only that but when I try to restart/shutdown the process will not end and it forces me to hit the reset button.

NOW... I am not sure it is a motherboard problem. I can play ghost recon and Sims 2 for hours and hours without a problem.

What is your opinion? Thanks!

Sam

More about : possibly bad asus striker extreme

May 2, 2007 1:15:11 PM

I have been thinking about picking up the board myself.Seems to me there's a lot of probs with this board.A stable board is most important.At at the price this board is a piss off.
Hope you get some answears.
May 2, 2007 2:32:20 PM

I have this board as well. Just flashed it to the 1102 bios myself from the 1002 bios. Unsure as to why your voltages are not showing up under the voltage monitor as they do show up under mine. I would try downloading the 1102 bios and flashing it. I would think those options would then be present again in your bios. Make sure to use the EZ flash option in the bios and not the windows version to flash it.

As far as stability goes with the Striker good luck. I have had mine for 2 months or better now and still having issues even while running stock clocks. The best results I have had so far though is increasing voltages on the following:

1.2 HT@ 1.5v
NB@1.5
SB@1.5
CPU VTT@ 1.5 (FYI This setting has to do with the FSB)

Also disable sli memory support as this board has had issues with this with older revisions of the bios. Its best to choose the expert mode and choose the timings yourself.

Also disable spread spectrum in the bios as well. Hope this helps.
May 2, 2007 2:49:27 PM

Oh crap.

I already flashed to 1102.... but I used the windows version. Is it too late to go back and flash it with EZ?

The EZ flash is the one through the bios correct, not the Award Flash program.
May 2, 2007 3:17:39 PM

You can still flash it through bios. IIRC its under the tools option in the bios. Its called EZ Flash2. You can use a thumbdrive or a floppy to flash it.
May 2, 2007 3:21:17 PM

Ok, tried that... still missing the hardware monitoring on the previously mentioned settings. hrmm. This makes me very sad.
May 2, 2007 3:24:48 PM

Do you have those voltage options under Tweaking>>Voltages? Tweaking is exactly the right heading in the bios but its something like that. I think its the 2nd or 3rd tab in the bios.
May 2, 2007 3:48:50 PM

yep, I can set

1.2 HT@ 1.5v
NB@1.5
SB@1.5
CPU VTT@ 1.5 (FYI This setting has to do with the FSB)

under : Extreme Tweaker -> Over Voltage

I just can't monitor... It is interesting, I also can not monitor the Optional Temperature Sensors and there are only three fans I can monitor as well.
May 2, 2007 4:00:54 PM

Unless you used the optional thermocouples that came with your board the optional temp sensors will not show anything. There are three headers on the board that the thermocouples plug into. If you are using them then you got me on that one. Same thing with the fans. As long as they are the fans with the rpm indicator wire ( 3 wire) fans and you have them plugged into the mobo it should read those. Wish I could help more, but at this point you have me at a loss as well with your voltages not showing up under the voltage monitor.

Maybe time to get a replacement. Sensors that read those may be bad. I really don't know at this point.
May 2, 2007 5:36:43 PM

Alright, thanks for the help :) 

I plugged in one of the temp probes and it still didn't show up in the bios screen. It doesn't show blank or disabled... it is like it really doesn't exist.

So I guess it is time to RMA. Do you know if I RMA through the vendor that I bought it from (zipzoomfly) or Asus?

Actually what I am considering is buying the evga 680i board, RMAing this ASUS board and sell the replacement on EBAY.

Thanks again for the help.
!