Any Experience w/ Vista Freezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Well... So far its done it I think maybe 3 or 4 times. I want to say its some sort of a driver or software issue? Its done it once while watching TV on my Fusion 5 USB TV tuner and while listening to music (so maybe DVICO driver or Creative Driver Issue or maybe the Fusion and Winamp Programs)? The computer will completely freeze with no warning and on pretty simple tasks.

I have done some slight overclocking (pretty minute) and I've ran memory tests and torture tests on Prime95 and check my Temps regularly and all seems stable.

While playing games I have not experienced any of these problems and seems to work just fine. So kinda confused and a little concerned.

Its a fairly new system (built in december) and ran XP Pro and switch to Vista Ultimate about 1-2 months ago. Never experienced these problems with XP.

(I was to lazy to list my bios settings but if it helps let me know and I will post them right away)

Thanks

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
I have a simmilar issue. E6400 @ stock vcore & FSB, Ram at 4-4-4-15@2.0. Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

90% of the time it happens with IE, but not always. The system will sort of "soft freeze" (I can still move my mouse, and occationally can move windows around) for about 20-40 seconds. Any clicks that I made during this time will "catch up" almost instantly eventually. For example, if I was trying to open or close a few IE windows, everything I clicked will happen eventually, just all at once at 30 seconds later.

I am 90% sure this is a software problem of some kind, but I can't seem to isolate it. Any help would be appreciated.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Interesting, When it happens to me the my mouse freezes as well but every time its happened its with some sort of media so the sound and everything just stops instantaneously, but I never bothered waiting it out.

I'm also running 32bit as well.

Winamp does seem to crash on me quite often too. And I know that DVICO is having some driver and software issues they still need to work out as well as creative and I suppose everyone else. lol

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Usually music will just keep playing when it happens to me. In fact, it happened when I clicked "reply" right now... only this time it lasted only about 20 seconds. Boo for random bugs.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I have an ASUS M2NPV-VM and it happens randomly, but usually when media content is playing. Also, the freezing never showed up on any of the stress test tools when I tested the RAM/CPU/GPU/mb. When I went out to the ASUS boards, most of them point to the known NVidia GPU driver issues, but also to an incompatibility of the nForce drivers. Simply uninstalling/disabling nForce and updating my Nvidia GPU drivers has, so far, resolved my problems.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I have an ASUS M2NPV-VM and it happens randomly, but usually when media content is playing. Also, the freezing never showed up on any of the stress test tools when I tested the RAM/CPU/GPU/mb. When I went out to the ASUS boards, most of them point to the known NVidia GPU driver issues, but also to an incompatibility of the nForce drivers. Simply uninstalling/disabling nForce and updating my Nvidia GPU drivers has, so far, resolved my problems.

Hmm... I'm currently running the latest Nvidia Driver but how do I uninstall and disable nForce?

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
This probably doesn't apply to you then unless if you have an ASUS board and haven't flashed the BIOS lately.

I am not currently on the PC, but in your System I believe it is under the network devices.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
This probably doesn't apply to you then unless if you have an ASUS board and haven't flashed the BIOS lately.

I am not currently on the PC, but in your System I believe it is under the network devices.

I have the P5B deluxe but I've recently updated my BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.