windows XP home OEM....64 bit???

4sfed5

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
going to build a new PC and need a windows disc...was going to get a windows home edition......is it available in 64 bit version???

if not what should i get...(NOT VISTA!)

G

Why do you suggest paying the extra $$$ for Pro. What advantages are there for a non-domain user?

Grumpy

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I like and prefer the pro, I had home but now I'm on pro and if one day he decides he wants a network then he does not need to own a home and a pro, I always recommend what I use.

G

You still haven't given any technical reasons. How many home users setup a Windows Domain? I'm always curious why posters recommend Pro over Home. I'm lead to believe that it has more to do with the ability to pirate Pro.

Grumpy

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
honestly when I had home some patches that worked for XP only would work with the pro and to me it seems like pro runs better, I understand that they have the same core.

but thats just me, and my copies are legal.

Like I said, I have used both and I like pro so I recommend pro, I wish somebody had done the same with me and saved me the money I paid for home version.

G

That's interesting. I have both and have never seen a difference in Windows patches. The only thing I miss in Home is the ability to disable Simple File Sharing so you can change folder/file security without booting into Safe Mode.

Grumpy

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
not windows patches, some application patches, for example you can't run softice on xp home and the xp patch for it works only for the pro version.

G

Ahhh!!! I've never used either of those applications. I'll have to check them out sometime.

Grumpy

If you want Windows XP and if you want 64-bit, your ONLY option is Windows XP Professional x64. If you want a Home version of Windows that is 64-bit capable, your ONLY option is Windows Vista Home Premium. (Well, there is Vista Ultimate as well... but that's not exactly a Home Edition, is it?)

Clear as mud?

G

well take something to keep clam before you try otherwise I'm not responsible for any PC that might be shattered to pieces

:D

I'm not quite sure what you mean but I would never test anything software on anything but a test computer. What is XP Patch? I googled it but didn't find anything but patches for XP.

Grumpy

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
XP patch = a patch for an app that is made to run on XP

as for what I meant grumpy, I meant that its gonna drive you crazy and gonna take the hammer to your PC so take some kind of a sedative so you don't' get that upset when you come across all the headaches ;) :lol:

and as psc would say:

he is grumpy :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

I think you misjudge me. I work on computers about 12 hours every day and have only taken a hammer to 1 in 4 years.

What ever happened tp psc. I can't believe he got mad at me and quit posting unless you're also psc.

Grumpy

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
lol no, I don't think he was at you, he quit cause his work got busy unless ofcource you know something I don't.

as for misjudging you, I did not, I was merely joking about how much of a headache it is, your posts speak clearly of how knowledgeable you are ;) I for one enjoy reading your posts very much :D

The guys here seem to disagree with you. Sounds more like a problem with XP itself, not XP Home specifically. The ONLY way that an app won't work on XP Home is because it woud require a service found only on XP Pro... which seems highly unlikely. Although with SoftICE being a hacking tool... it wouldn't surprise me. However, if it worked on 98, why not XP Home?

There are very few apps that won't run on both versions. (There is none that I personally know of).