Sign in with
Your question

Boot-up disk checking problem

Last response: in Windows XP
April 18, 2007 12:45:35 PM

Not sure what happened, or even if I did this, but I really would like to get it 'fixed' - meaning stopped!

Starting early yesterday, whenever I boot-up the comfuser, I get a blue screen stating that one of my drives needs to be checked for consistancy & that disk check is about to run (I press spacebar to stop it). This is my firewire-connected iPod Mini, & this never happened before. I don't need this to happen everytime I boot-up, or even at all.

Can anyone tell me how/why this started & how do I get it to stop :?:
April 18, 2007 8:53:45 PM

Suggest you get the diagnostic/repair software from you hard drive mfg web site and run it from a Floppy.
Anonymous
April 18, 2007 11:36:50 PM

I don't think it's available for an iPod Mini.

Grumpy
Related resources
April 19, 2007 2:00:22 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's available for an iPod Mini.

Grumpy

Was confued, thought it was his hdd. If this is a start up problem, sounds like he shouldn't plug in the iPod after he starts, which he may be doing but not real clear.
April 19, 2007 5:34:08 AM

The dock (w/iPod Mini docked) has always been connected to the comfuser by firewire w/o any problems. This problem just started Tuesday & I'm not sure as to why.

When the iPod is NOT in the dock (but dock still connected through firewire) I don't get the problem.

Anyone have an idea as to what's wrong?
April 19, 2007 11:11:23 AM

Once your computer boots into Windows and you dock the iPod, are there problems or do they only occur during start up when the iPod is docked? I don't know if iPods have firmware updates but if they do you could try that. It sounds like you may have a corrupt file on your iPod. I'd start with any files you put on Monday given the problem started Tuesday.
Anonymous
April 19, 2007 12:14:09 PM

FWIW, I have the same thing happen if I have a USB drive connected when my computer boots. Have you tried just letting chkdsk run?

Grumpy
April 19, 2007 1:22:20 PM

On my sister's XPC barebones I has similar problems except the PC would start up incredibly slow.

Only thing I can suggest is unplug the ipod mini from the PC!!
April 19, 2007 2:50:12 PM

g-paw: This only happens when the iPod is in it's dock (dock is always connected to the computer via firewire). I'm checking today if there is a firmware update I need.

Grumpy9117: I have let chkdsk run (2x) & no probs found either time. BTW, What is FWIW?

Once I check for any firmware updates, I'll post what I find. Thanks.
Anonymous
April 19, 2007 3:21:39 PM

FWIW = For what it's worth

Grumpy
April 22, 2007 4:32:19 AM

Not sure what happened. I did nothing to the iPod or it's connection to my computer. No updates, no iPod resets, not anything.

But the Blue Screen is not coming up anymore & both iPod & computer seem to be fine. Very weird...ending as it started, suddenly.

Oh well, everythings fine now. Thanks for the responses everyone.
Anonymous
April 22, 2007 1:00:39 PM

That's Windows for you. Always expected the unexpected.

Grumpy
!