Sign in with
Your question

Intel cutting jobs - We hope our favorite NM worker is safe

Last response: in CPUs
May 2, 2007 2:26:39 PM

Article states that Intel is cutting 1,000 jobs from F11 as they make the transition to 300mm. They mention that basically better Automation means fewer workers required (although 1000 is a lot).

Link

NMDante - I forget if you're in 11 or 11x. Are you still ok? Or are you going to convert to the dark side? :D 

Any thoughts?
May 2, 2007 3:30:01 PM

Well, thanks for the concern.

The atmosphere here is pretty much expected - a bit tense, and everyone is on edge. I heard about the cuts on the news (which kind of pisses us off, since we are usually the last to find out).

I'm still employed, as I write this (from work, no less), and I'm trying not to think about what might happen. Yes, 1k people is a lot, but when 2 factories merge, there will be overflow, and it's gonna suck, since I realize that I might get canned, or people I know, or all of the above. I don't have any real information, since I'm just a FAB grunt.

As for the other FABs, I have no idea. Again, this was already anticipated, so a few of us (including myself) have been updating resumes and such, just in case.

Oh, I work at F11x, and no, I won't convert to the dark side. I'll just have to buy my CPUs at retail prices now. :( 
May 2, 2007 3:52:37 PM

Quote:

The atmosphere here is pretty much expected - a bit tense, and everyone is on edge. I heard about the cuts on the news (which kind of pisses us off, since we are usually the last to find out).

I'm still employed, as I write this (from work, no less), and I'm trying not to think about what might happen. Yes, 1k people is a lot, but when 2 factories merge, there will be overflow, and it's gonna suck, since I realize that I might get canned, or people I know, or all of the above. I don't have any real information, since I'm just a FAB grunt.

As for the other FABs, I have no idea. Again, this was already anticipated, so a few of us (including myself) have been updating resumes and such, just in case.

Oh, I work at F11x, and no, I won't convert to the dark side. I'll just have to buy my CPUs at retail prices now. :( 
GL NMDante, our fingers are crossed for you. :wink:

@wolverinero79: While the sentiment that you're trying to get across is nice, i think you could have named the thread...a bit more compassionately...i.e.

"Intel cutting jobs - i hope our favorite NM worker's future is safe". :wink:
May 2, 2007 5:29:56 PM

I'll fix that. I was geniunely concerned about his job and I'm not so good with the wordsmithing.

Intel vs AMD is one thing, but I dislike seeing seemingly good and knowledgeable people handed pink slips. :cry: 
May 2, 2007 6:22:41 PM

Quote:

Yeah man, good luck bro. Been there with layoffs. Very stressful.

High Regards,
Howard
May 2, 2007 6:29:26 PM

Quote:

Good luck man... hope everything goes well :) 
May 2, 2007 6:30:43 PM

Quote:
I'll fix that. I was geniunely concerned about his job and I'm not so good with the wordsmithing.

Intel vs AMD is one thing, but I dislike seeing seemingly good and knowledgeable people handed pink slips. :cry: 
Good man. :) 
May 2, 2007 6:44:07 PM

I wish gl to NMDante and another Intel fellow we have on these forums. Its annoying that big companies canns good workers when their times are tough and good. If in first case one may somewhat understand company, in second case as it is now its just lame. Intel is doing so well and instead of rewarding everyone in the company, they are cutting out ~11k workers this year only... :( 
May 2, 2007 7:13:25 PM

Hopefully everything goes your way.

Good luck man!
May 2, 2007 7:14:08 PM

When one door closes, another one opens. Take your experience and expertise, and get into your own venture. Thats the only way average people make real money. Never met a Joe Sixpack who go rich working for someone else.
May 2, 2007 7:15:49 PM

Quote:
I wish gl to NMDante and another Intel fellow we have on these forums. Its annoying that big companies canns good workers when their times are tough and good. If in first case one may somewhat understand company, in second case as it is now its just lame. Intel is doing so well and instead of rewarding everyone in the company, they are cutting out ~11k workers this year only... :( 

At the same time though, look how excited this board gets when price drops come around. I'm afraid both events are not mutually exclusive.

GL NMDante!
May 2, 2007 7:31:06 PM

Business is business, and fat, lazy companies don't stay on top for long. Especially in the computer hardware business where everything changes so fast. I'm not trying to be incompassionate here, it's just the reality of things. Nothing is ever certain in an uncertain world.

True, people feel a lot better buying from a company if they are a good corporate citizen and take care of their employees, but at the same time I doubt anyone is going to take their business elsewhere over this. Also there's a good chance that AMD has some massive layoffs planned as well; and not just the redundancy ones that come with a new acquisition, but the kind that come with a restructuring aimed at reducing operating costs to a bare minimum.

GL m8 hope you make it through this.
May 2, 2007 7:50:52 PM

Good luck to you bro.
May 2, 2007 7:53:04 PM

Quote:
Dante ,if you get canned well all gang up on their smrfy azzes and haze them till you get a new position :twisted: We take care of our own here. :wink:

Ah, I'll take it in stride.

I have offers from other places, I just really don't feel like moving again (was in military for 10 years).

I can only hope that my skills and knowledge of the tools I work on will help me keep my job.

I would just hate to have to buy my CPUs for retail... LOL. Gotta have my sense of humor, or I'll go nuts. :D 
May 2, 2007 8:12:04 PM

Quote:
When one door closes, another one opens. Take your experience and expertise, and get into your own venture. Thats the only way average people make real money. Never met a Joe Sixpack who go rich working for someone else.

let us rephrase this

When god closes a window he opens a door
May 2, 2007 8:16:24 PM

Quote:

let us rephrase this

When science closes a window it opens a door

fixed :lol: 
May 2, 2007 8:50:21 PM

Quote:

let us rephrase this

When science closes a window it opens a door

fixed :lol: 

Let's not go there, both of you.
May 2, 2007 8:50:58 PM

MonocleCat - awesome sig! AHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
May 2, 2007 8:57:53 PM

Quote:
MonocleCat - awesome sig! AHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Haha, heck yeah! I didn't even notice that.
May 2, 2007 9:11:42 PM

Hey dante, I work at Fab11 and like you I'm just a grunt. I work the back end of the week so hopefully I'll get more info tonight. What worries me is that from what I've been reading on the news, it seems that the layoffs are only coming from Fab11 and not 11x. That would pretty much mean that everyone but a handful of people would be laid off. That is really scary....well I guess this is out of our hands so we'll see what happens. Good luck.
May 2, 2007 9:16:20 PM

As someone who also is from ABQ... I wish good luck (though they have done this more then a few times).

However, didn't they mention an opportunity to move about the company? Depending on what you do, and your skills, you may not be in such a bad position.

Then again, if all else, the severance pays have been quite generous last major layoff where I had inside contacts.
May 2, 2007 10:00:13 PM

This is sad news, it seems like everyone is laying off these days. NM Dante and qurious69ss, I wish both of you the best of luck.
May 3, 2007 2:06:58 AM

Living in the shadow of Hillsburrito it seems that of the people under 40 around here, 75-80% either work or worked for Intel at some point. Some of us work construction and have never been slaves :lol:  Good luck!
May 3, 2007 2:27:30 AM

Hope you retain your job.
May 3, 2007 2:49:42 AM

Quote:

High Regards,
Howard

@NMDante. Good Luck....hey, if it helps, you can dig through the threads and show the bean counters all the extra corporate defense youve been providing at no additional cost to the company.

@ Howard Stern...I fell for ya bro...losing out on the paternity suit to that posterboy freakshow Larry Birkhead must have been a hard blow...but I wouldnt call it getting laid off.
May 3, 2007 3:04:51 AM

Quote:
Hey dante, I work at Fab11 and like you I'm just a grunt. I work the back end of the week so hopefully I'll get more info tonight. What worries me is that from what I've been reading on the news, it seems that the layoffs are only coming from Fab11 and not 11x. That would pretty much mean that everyone but a handful of people would be laid off. That is really scary....well I guess this is out of our hands so we'll see what happens. Good luck.

Good luck to you, as well.

It was all wrong about just F11 getting nailed, it's both sites.
May 3, 2007 3:53:30 AM

Quote:

Good to luck to both of you. Hope you don't lose your jobs, that would be bad. :( 
May 3, 2007 10:33:37 AM

Quote:
Well, best of luck, qurious69ss....hopefully the suits will pass over your name, as well as Dante's.....GL Both. :) 
May 4, 2007 2:39:22 AM

I supposed black mail is always an option.
a c 99 à CPUs
May 4, 2007 3:56:23 AM

Just how good of a deal do you get on CPUs?
May 4, 2007 5:34:17 AM

Quote:
Just how good of a deal do you get on CPUs?

It's pretty nice. I am not sure if I can really say, but it's nice...very nice.
Let's say that I bought my E6600 for much less than what it was listed, when they first were available. MUCH less. :) 

Also, I have an E6700 ES in my possession right now. Along with some space heaters (840EE and some other P4 CPU, can't remember which).
May 4, 2007 6:05:52 AM

Quote:

High Regards,
Howard

Wow, are you really Howard Stern? I didn't think you would know anything about computers, to be honest, because I thought the only thing you knew about was how to be a goddamn a$$hole on the radio.
Cheerio.
-cm
!