Ubuntu 7.04

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I read that this version fixes the problem of linux writing on windows.
My question is what was the problem?
. I tried ubuntu 2 versions ago and I remember somebody telling me to format a partition with FAT32 so it would be the bridge between Linux and windows.

What happened when linux wrote on windows?
Was there a problem also with windows writing in Linux?

Excuse me if these are dumb questions, I'm trying to learn linux.
I tried about a year ago but I wasn't ready for the transition, hopefully I am now.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Thanks linux!

Does somebody has the link to download Ubuntu 7.04?
I checked Ubuntu's site yesterday and it said that the release date was tomorrow (meaning today), I check today and it still says that the release date will be tomorrow.
When you go to the download link it only gives the option for 6.10

linux_0

Splendid
Looks like Ubuntu is getting overwhelmed:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

7.04 seems to be up on the mirrors.

:-D

Thanks linux!

Does somebody has the link to download Ubuntu 7.04?
I checked Ubuntu's site yesterday and it said that the release date was tomorrow (meaning today), I check today and it still says that the release date will be tomorrow.
When you go to the download link it only gives the option for 6.10

linux_0

Splendid
Sorry for the double post.

I would urge you and everyone wishing to download 7.04 to wait until after hours to download your copy or use bit torrent.

It appears the mirrors are getting hit hard as is the ubuntu website to the point that they put up a mirror list on the main page and yanked everything else.

Ubuntu is a victim of its own popularity.

:-D

linux_0

Splendid
Sorry I do not have one handy, however the procedure is very simple.

Boot the XP install disk

Create an XP partition ( /dev/sda1 ) occupying a certain percentage of your disk leaving at least 20GB free for Ubuntu

Install XP as you normally would

After XP is installed boot from the Ubuntu CD

Install Ubuntu following the prompts using the 20+GB of free space

The Ubuntu installer should detect XP and add it to the GRUB bootloader configuration file

Be sure to install GRUB on /dev/sda or whatever your 1st boot drive is.

That's about it, enjoy :-D

https://help.ubuntu.com/ has good documentation

The docs for 6.10 also apply to 7.04 to a large degree.

GL :-D

Hey Linux, do you have a link to a detailed guide or a tutorial on how to setup a dual boot with Ubuntu and XP?

Thanks in advance

Yes indeed :-D

Only problem is ubuntu.com won't even load at the moment :cry:

I guess they got slashdotted and then some.

On the download site list includes torrent servers. These will be flying at the moment!!

Well the servers seem to be back up and responding well. Much to my surprise the new look site no longer seems to have links to torrents on the main download pages.

I've just pulled my copy down at ~320Kb/s from the UK mirror. Guess its time to take that last backup and get round to the long overdue clean install / rebuild..

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I was able to install it yesterday.
It worked great!
Maybe the biggest advantage is that I was able to access the internet while installing, and I could google the questions I had at that moment.

linux_0

Splendid
Awesome :-D

Remember aptitude is your friend and we are here to answer any questions you may have :-D

I was able to install it yesterday.
It worked great!
Maybe the biggest advantage is that I was able to access the internet while installing, and I could google the questions I had at that moment.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
I tired upgrading my Edgy to Feisty three or four times, but an hour or two into it it would just give up. The servers were overloaded. I just grabbed an .iso torrent from the list and that was definitely the way to go... 1MB/s. It took me about as long to burn the .iso as to download it!

Speaking of torrents and Feisty, the version of Azureus that Feisty installs is not stable. I think it's 3.0 instead of 2.5. Anyway, I'd had a lot of trouble with it but then I uninstalled Azureus and grabbed it using Automatix2. I also used Automatix2 to get DVD playback working (please don't arrest me!). I've been using Feisty beta on my Media Centre for a couple weeks now, but I didn't put it on my desktop until the 20th.

Now if only I could get a few more of my old games and MATLAB working though WINE, I could wipe my XP partition for good!

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Yes... I have MATLAB R14, which comes on an install disk for Windows, Mac, and Linux, all in one. However, I've never been able to get the Linux installation to work, so I tried using WINE with the windows installation, but that didn't work either. For now, at least, I'll be booting into XP for it.

Never used it myself but I was a post on the ubuntu forum that said they had gotten it going following the client install guide on the site: Client installation

The guide is a bit duff as it keeps referring back to the server install guide but you should be able to follow the steps. On ubuntu you might well have to prefix the commands with

[code:1:4a286b1461]sudo[/code:1:4a286b1461]

to run them as root to ensure you have permissions. I suspect the b man might be in the know on this one..

EDIT: The original Ubuntu form thread here

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I was one of the lucky 1000+ users to get 7.04 when the servers first opened up :lol: I set up Opera to refresh the page every 60 seconds until it was finally released 8)

Then using the 8Mb line at work, history was made :lol:

I like the new "Manual Network" icon on the desktop bar, it's handy when I'm travelling to LAN and I need to change IP's with out doing it the hard way. Yet to test out some of the other things as I've just been using it normally, but so far it looks good!

I had a small issue with VMWare breaking, but it was as simple as a

[code:1:985987d116]sudo apt-get g++[/code:1:985987d116]

:)

Ubuntu is my OS to be :wink:

I've now joined the 7.04 club. Fresh install and moved over my preferences / mail from my old 6.10. One day MS will make their installations this easy... Whole process less than 40 mins on an old AthlonXP and just the one re-boot. I've even treated myself to a visit to the Gnome artwork site and I've got a snazzy new theme going to increase the shinny newness factor to the max.. :p

I've been on Ubuntu since 5.04 and in the last two years those guys and the FOSS community in general have moved mountains. Quality piece of software that I just can not recommend enough.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
I tried to follow the MATLAB installation guide from the ubunto forums, but I ran into errors when trying to copy the contents of the CD. The strange thing is that they say to instert disk #1. This confuses me because I only have one disk. I get the feeling that the disk I have is different than the one they've used, and that's where the trouble lies.

I've decided to move my work over to a laptop that's running XP. It won't be much longer before I'm done using MATLAB for anything serious.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I found this and it worked for me:

"Compiz will be installed by default in Ubuntu Feisty Fawn just you have to enable this.

Go to System->Preferences->Desktop Effects, click the ‘Enable Desktop Effects’ button.

If you want to get the cube to work do the following commands

gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/hsize 4

gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/number_of_desktops 1

If you want to configure compiz use the following command

gconf-editor"

Enjoy :D

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
PM me if you need help getting MATLAB running on Linux, I've done it many times and know the dark and lurid ways of the License Manager.

MATLAB.png