Sign in with
Your question

Ubuntu 7.04

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 18, 2007 9:29:40 PM

I read that this version fixes the problem of linux writing on windows.
My question is what was the problem?
. I tried ubuntu 2 versions ago and I remember somebody telling me to format a partition with FAT32 so it would be the bridge between Linux and windows.

What happened when linux wrote on windows?
Was there a problem also with windows writing in Linux?

Excuse me if these are dumb questions, I'm trying to learn linux.
I tried about a year ago but I wasn't ready for the transition, hopefully I am now.

More about : ubuntu

a b 5 Linux
April 18, 2007 11:17:17 PM

NTFS-3G has offered safe write support for quite a while and is available for most distros.

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/
April 19, 2007 2:19:42 PM

Thanks linux!

Does somebody has the link to download Ubuntu 7.04?
I checked Ubuntu's site yesterday and it said that the release date was tomorrow (meaning today), I check today and it still says that the release date will be tomorrow.
When you go to the download link it only gives the option for 6.10
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
April 19, 2007 2:27:06 PM

Looks like Ubuntu is getting overwhelmed:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

7.04 seems to be up on the mirrors.

:-D

Quote:
Thanks linux!

Does somebody has the link to download Ubuntu 7.04?
I checked Ubuntu's site yesterday and it said that the release date was tomorrow (meaning today), I check today and it still says that the release date will be tomorrow.
When you go to the download link it only gives the option for 6.10
a b 5 Linux
April 19, 2007 2:33:16 PM

Sorry for the double post.

I would urge you and everyone wishing to download 7.04 to wait until after hours to download your copy or use bit torrent.

It appears the mirrors are getting hit hard as is the ubuntu website to the point that they put up a mirror list on the main page and yanked everything else.

Ubuntu is a victim of its own popularity.

a b 5 Linux
April 19, 2007 5:48:03 PM

On the download site list includes torrent servers. These will be flying at the moment!!
a b 5 Linux
April 19, 2007 8:23:09 PM

Yes indeed :-D

Only problem is ubuntu.com won't even load at the moment :cry: 

I guess they got slashdotted and then some.

Quote:
On the download site list includes torrent servers. These will be flying at the moment!!
April 20, 2007 3:55:03 AM

Hey Linux, do you have a link to a detailed guide or a tutorial on how to setup a dual boot with Ubuntu and XP?

Thanks in advance
a b 5 Linux
April 20, 2007 6:16:16 AM

Sorry I do not have one handy, however the procedure is very simple.

Boot the XP install disk

Create an XP partition ( /dev/sda1 ) occupying a certain percentage of your disk leaving at least 20GB free for Ubuntu

Install XP as you normally would

After XP is installed boot from the Ubuntu CD

Install Ubuntu following the prompts using the 20+GB of free space

The Ubuntu installer should detect XP and add it to the GRUB bootloader configuration file

Be sure to install GRUB on /dev/sda or whatever your 1st boot drive is.

That's about it, enjoy :-D

https://help.ubuntu.com/ has good documentation

The docs for 6.10 also apply to 7.04 to a large degree.

GL :-D

Quote:
Hey Linux, do you have a link to a detailed guide or a tutorial on how to setup a dual boot with Ubuntu and XP?

Thanks in advance
a b 5 Linux
April 20, 2007 12:31:21 PM

Quote:
Yes indeed :-D

Only problem is ubuntu.com won't even load at the moment :cry: 

I guess they got slashdotted and then some.

Well the servers seem to be back up and responding well. Much to my surprise the new look site no longer seems to have links to torrents on the main download pages.

I've just pulled my copy down at ~320Kb/s from the UK mirror. Guess its time to take that last backup and get round to the long overdue clean install / rebuild..
April 20, 2007 12:58:08 PM

I was able to install it yesterday.
It worked great!
Maybe the biggest advantage is that I was able to access the internet while installing, and I could google the questions I had at that moment.
a b 5 Linux
April 20, 2007 4:08:46 PM

Awesome :-D

Remember aptitude is your friend and we are here to answer any questions you may have :-D

Quote:
I was able to install it yesterday.
It worked great!
Maybe the biggest advantage is that I was able to access the internet while installing, and I could google the questions I had at that moment.
April 22, 2007 9:57:56 PM

I tired upgrading my Edgy to Feisty three or four times, but an hour or two into it it would just give up. The servers were overloaded. I just grabbed an .iso torrent from the list and that was definitely the way to go... 1MB/s. It took me about as long to burn the .iso as to download it!

Speaking of torrents and Feisty, the version of Azureus that Feisty installs is not stable. I think it's 3.0 instead of 2.5. Anyway, I'd had a lot of trouble with it but then I uninstalled Azureus and grabbed it using Automatix2. I also used Automatix2 to get DVD playback working (please don't arrest me!). I've been using Feisty beta on my Media Centre for a couple weeks now, but I didn't put it on my desktop until the 20th.

Now if only I could get a few more of my old games and MATLAB working though WINE, I could wipe my XP partition for good!
April 22, 2007 10:59:31 PM

Yes... I have MATLAB R14, which comes on an install disk for Windows, Mac, and Linux, all in one. However, I've never been able to get the Linux installation to work, so I tried using WINE with the windows installation, but that didn't work either. For now, at least, I'll be booting into XP for it.
a b 5 Linux
April 22, 2007 11:28:34 PM

Never used it myself but I was a post on the ubuntu forum that said they had gotten it going following the client install guide on the site: Client installation

The guide is a bit duff as it keeps referring back to the server install guide but you should be able to follow the steps. On ubuntu you might well have to prefix the commands with

[code:1:4a286b1461]sudo[/code:1:4a286b1461]

to run them as root to ensure you have permissions. I suspect the b man might be in the know on this one..

EDIT: The original Ubuntu form thread here
April 22, 2007 11:36:55 PM

Cool, thanks. I'll have a look at those sometime when I have time to try it out. I'll post again with results.
a b 5 Linux
April 23, 2007 12:03:06 AM

As for the games you can install WINE through the package manager and then take it from there. I'm sure some of the crew here will be able to help with tweaking for a given game.
April 23, 2007 12:15:00 AM

I was one of the lucky 1000+ users to get 7.04 when the servers first opened up :lol:  I set up Opera to refresh the page every 60 seconds until it was finally released 8)

Then using the 8Mb line at work, history was made :lol: 

I like the new "Manual Network" icon on the desktop bar, it's handy when I'm travelling to LAN and I need to change IP's with out doing it the hard way. Yet to test out some of the other things as I've just been using it normally, but so far it looks good!

I had a small issue with VMWare breaking, but it was as simple as a

[code:1:985987d116]sudo apt-get g++[/code:1:985987d116]

:) 

Ubuntu is my OS to be :wink:
a b 5 Linux
April 23, 2007 9:16:19 PM

I've now joined the 7.04 club. Fresh install and moved over my preferences / mail from my old 6.10. One day MS will make their installations this easy... Whole process less than 40 mins on an old AthlonXP and just the one re-boot. I've even treated myself to a visit to the Gnome artwork site and I've got a snazzy new theme going to increase the shinny newness factor to the max.. :p 

I've been on Ubuntu since 5.04 and in the last two years those guys and the FOSS community in general have moved mountains. Quality piece of software that I just can not recommend enough.
April 23, 2007 9:29:14 PM

I tried to follow the MATLAB installation guide from the ubunto forums, but I ran into errors when trying to copy the contents of the CD. The strange thing is that they say to instert disk #1. This confuses me because I only have one disk. I get the feeling that the disk I have is different than the one they've used, and that's where the trouble lies.

I've decided to move my work over to a laptop that's running XP. It won't be much longer before I'm done using MATLAB for anything serious.
April 24, 2007 2:36:13 AM

Hey does anyone know how to enable the desktop effects for Feisty?
I can get the wobbly windows but not the cube

Thanks in advance
April 24, 2007 3:17:03 AM

I found this and it worked for me:

"Compiz will be installed by default in Ubuntu Feisty Fawn just you have to enable this.

Go to System->Preferences->Desktop Effects, click the ‘Enable Desktop Effects’ button.

If you want to get the cube to work do the following commands

gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/hsize 4

gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/number_of_desktops 1

If you want to configure compiz use the following command

gconf-editor"

Enjoy :D 
a b 5 Linux
April 24, 2007 6:21:24 PM

Nice.. :D 

Now if only I had a decent graphics card :cry: 
a b 5 Linux
April 25, 2007 10:13:37 PM

PM me if you need help getting MATLAB running on Linux, I've done it many times and know the dark and lurid ways of the License Manager.

April 27, 2007 2:10:08 AM

I finally got to test the codec finder/installer for 7.04. Works great!!!! No more chasing down links from google 8)

Also, previously in 6.10, NTFS-3G didn't work for me (Linux_0, you remember the crap message I was getting) and now with the install of 7.04, it all works!!!

Ubuntu... I love you :lol: 
April 29, 2007 12:38:41 AM

Hello :D 

it's been a while since I last visited the linux forum

I was a suse user...but it gave some headaches with codec/xgl/ati/beryl issues, so, off with suse and now im trying ubuntu 7.04

I was installing it today and it all went fine, except from this, I have 2 HDDs on this pc, a SATA and a PATA...

in the sata I have 3 partitions, one for linux, one for swap and one for XP, the other HDD has 2 ntfs partitions, and there's my back up

the problem es that the bootloader gets installed on the pata drive (hd0) and the pc wont boot if I dont have that drive working

so, the question is, how do I manage to set the bootloader on my sata drive?
a b 5 Linux
April 29, 2007 6:13:10 AM

Hey :-D

[code:1:21b04a5c73]
man grub-install

/sbin/grub-install --help

/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda

# or

/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda --recheck

[/code:1:21b04a5c73]

assuming /dev/sda is your SATA drive

then set your BIOS to boot from your SATA drive rather than the PATA drive.

Quote:
Hello :D 

it's been a while since I last visited the linux forum

I was a suse user...but it gave some headaches with codec/xgl/ati/beryl issues, so, off with suse and now im trying ubuntu 7.04

I was installing it today and it all went fine, except from this, I have 2 HDDs on this pc, a SATA and a PATA...

in the sata I have 3 partitions, one for linux, one for swap and one for XP, the other HDD has 2 ntfs partitions, and there's my back up

the problem es that the bootloader gets installed on the pata drive (hd0) and the pc wont boot if I dont have that drive working

so, the question is, how do I manage to set the bootloader on my sata drive?
a b 5 Linux
April 29, 2007 6:17:28 AM

Good to hear it's fixed :-D

Must have been the FUSE driver in 6.10 because it worked on FC6

I believe 6.10 runs 2.6.17 while FC6 2.6.18 - .20+

Quote:
I finally got to test the codec finder/installer for 7.04. Works great!!!! No more chasing down links from google 8)

Also, previously in 6.10, NTFS-3G didn't work for me (Linux_0, you remember the crap message I was getting) and now with the install of 7.04, it all works!!!

Ubuntu... I love you :lol: 
April 29, 2007 6:21:59 PM

hi linux_0!

well, I managed to fix it by doing

sudo grub

find /boot/grub/stage2

root (hd0,2)

setup (hd0,2)

it all worked fine

now I'm having some trouble with clvm...

when I try to install some packages it says that there was a fatal error in apt and "installation unsuccessful", it has given me errors 1 and 3

It happened when I was installing some packages from synaptic and with automatix (most of the packages installed by autopmatix had this issue)

funny thing is, the installed apps work fine, but the error persists when installing additional packages...

also, I'd like to know how to use a USB net card on this pc
ubuntu does not have the drivers for it and I think that the driver cd has the fedora drivers, but I'm not sure...

so, with NDISWrapper I could do it, but is there an easier way to do it?

I need it because my other PC has only eth connection to internet so while I'm using this pc, the other one does not have access to internet :p , that's why I need to have the usb net card working under ubuntu, to let the other pc have internet :p 
April 30, 2007 8:46:32 PM

I'm having a problem with cowbell.
I heard that it's very good for editing mp3 tags but I installed it and it's not working.
When I click on Cowbell Music Organizer it just says:

starting Cowbell Music Organizer.

Does anyone know what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
a b 5 Linux
April 30, 2007 9:10:16 PM

Good job fixing GRUB :-D

I am not sure about the apt errors. Have you checked the log files in /var/log for details?

Some USB ethernet adapters are very difficult to work with.

Run dmesg before you plug it in and after along with /sbin/lsusb -vv and /sbin/lspci -vvv and post or PM me the output

Have to find out what chipset it is using and look for the appropriate driver or find you a $5 PCI NIC, unfortunately the international shipping may cost a small fortune.

a b 5 Linux
April 30, 2007 9:31:27 PM

Try running it from the command line / gnome-terminal / konsole and see if you get any errors also run dmesg and see if there are any kernel messages / errors

Also it wouldn't hurt to check the log files in /var/log

Did you apt-get it or install it some other way?

Quote:
I'm having a problem with cowbell.
I heard that it's very good for editing mp3 tags but I installed it and it's not working.
When I click on Cowbell Music Organizer it just says:

starting Cowbell Music Organizer.

Does anyone know what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
a b 5 Linux
April 30, 2007 9:43:37 PM

PS A more technical way to find out why it's not working is to run the [code:1:e787be4110]?trace[/code:1:e787be4110] commands

Let me know if you want to hear more
May 1, 2007 1:44:49 PM

I selected it from the Synaptic Manager.

How do I run dmesg?

Excuese my dumb questions, I'm a Linux noobie :D 
May 2, 2007 1:29:51 AM

well, I managed to uninstall clvm by doing

sudo rm /etc/init.d/clvm

and then

sudo apt-get remove clvm

It was here :p 
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/5799

the net card...Ill give it a try this weekend if I can, I have thermodynamics test tomorrow, thremodynamics lab test on thursday and materials for engineering lab test on friday, so it'll be a busy week from now on...

btw, do you know of any software that runs on linux for finite element analysis, preferably compatible with some format used by the ones that work in windows like ansys or autodesk inventor?
a b 5 Linux
May 2, 2007 12:12:40 PM

Open / run a terminal such as

gnome-terminal ( on gnome )

konsole ( on KDE )

xterm ( on good old X )

etc

inside the terminal run:

[code:1:1ec477954e]
cowbell

# or

/path/to/cowbell

# watch for errors

strace /path/to/cowbell

# trace the execution of cowbell and see where it dies ( post or PM me the output )

# check the kernel messages

dmesg

# or

dmesg |less

# or

dmesg |more
[/code:1:1ec477954e]

On Gnome you can usually click on Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal or right click on the desktop and select "Open Terminal" ( not available on all distributions )

On KDE K -> System -> Terminal or right click on the desktop and select "Konsole"

Quote:
I selected it from the Synaptic Manager.

How do I run dmesg?

Excuese my dumb questions, I'm a Linux noobie :D 
May 2, 2007 2:25:04 PM

Thanks I'll try it today and post the results :D 
a b 5 Linux
May 2, 2007 6:16:15 PM

Cool :-D

Those commands may produce a lot of output, especially dmesg normally only the last few lines printed by dmesg are relevant.

strace will probably produce a lot of output as well

You can PM me the whole thing and just paste the last page or last few lines for everyone else.

If you are not sure where cowbell is installed

[code:1:1822571fe9]
whereis cowbell

# or

which cowbell

[/code:1:1822571fe9]

or right click on it in GNOME select "Add this launcher to desktop"

then right click on it on the desktop click Properties -> Launcher and look for the command which starts the program.

May 4, 2007 5:12:15 AM

I typed cowbell in the terminal and this is what I got

[code:1:3c0beab2f9]dunklegend@dunklegend-desktop:~$ cowbell

** (/usr/lib/cowbell/cowbell.exe:7938): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /usr/lib/cowbell/cowbell.exe could not be loaded:
Assembly: glib-sharp (assemblyref_index=4)
Version: 2.10.0.0
Public Key: 35e10195dab3c99f
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/usr/lib/cowbell).

** (/usr/lib/cowbell/cowbell.exe:7938): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'glib-sharp, Version=2.10.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=35e10195dab3c99f' or one of its dependencies.

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'glib-sharp, Version=2.10.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=35e10195dab3c99f' or one of its dependencies.
at <0x00000> <unknown method>
at Cowbell.Runtime.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]
[/code:1:3c0beab2f9]
a b 5 Linux
May 4, 2007 8:22:06 AM

If I am reading this correctly the glib-sharp library and possibly some associated libraries are not installed on your system.

Use apt-get / aptitude / etc to install glib-sharp and glib-sharp-devel then try again.

If it complains about other libraries install them as well

Quote:
I typed cowbell in the terminal and this is what I got

[code:1:e9e21fd9be]dunklegend@dunklegend-desktop:~$ cowbell

** (/usr/lib/cowbell/cowbell.exe:7938): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /usr/lib/cowbell/cowbell.exe could not be loaded:
Assembly: glib-sharp (assemblyref_index=4)
Version: 2.10.0.0
Public Key: 35e10195dab3c99f
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/usr/lib/cowbell).

** (/usr/lib/cowbell/cowbell.exe:7938): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'glib-sharp, Version=2.10.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=35e10195dab3c99f' or one of its dependencies.

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'glib-sharp, Version=2.10.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=35e10195dab3c99f' or one of its dependencies.
at <0x00000> <unknown method>
at Cowbell.Runtime.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]
[/code:1:e9e21fd9be]
May 4, 2007 5:28:53 PM

Well, I decided to take the plunge and migrate from FC6 over to ubuntu to give it a fair chance, and thus far I think I like what it has been able to do with a few minor dislikes included as well.

For the most part, everything I have installed (including graphics drivers, linux_0 :D  ) has worked on the first try without any hassle, which is VERY nice. At the moment I am trying to make beryl work under this 'feisty' new environment (pardon the pun).

I know this would seem like a kind of stupid question, but how to I make changes to my command line prompt permanent? I have read the man page and a couple of pages online and they suggest sticking the following line in my .bashrc

[code:1:2567f35ee9]

export PS1= " INSERT PROMPT OF CHOICE HERE"

[/code:1:2567f35ee9]

I have followed this advice and added a line like that in my .bashrc, but for some reason, it doesn't apply the changes. Additionally, I know this may be unchangeable behavior on ubuntu's part, but is there any way for me to force it to ask for the root password for major changes instead of asking me 'for my password to do administrative tasks'? The fact that it wants me to do sudo for everything is a little unnerving...

I guess the final test that will see whether ubuntu swims or sinks for me is if I can finally play StarCraft via wine and not have evil slowdowns (due to graphics card issues). Wish me luck gentlemen!

-Zorak
May 4, 2007 9:49:16 PM

Can you give me the exact syntax to install the glib-sharp library?

I am a total newbie with the command line.

Thanks in advance!
a b 5 Linux
May 5, 2007 4:15:20 AM

Hey :-D

You definitely can make changes to the prompt permanent

Make sure your syntax is correct and your .bashrc is saved in your home directory

The system wide bashrc is in /etc/bashrc you may want to compare your changes in ~/.bashrc to /etc/bashrc

Editing /etc/bashrc is not recommended unless you have a good backup.

Any errors or problems in /etc/bashrc could potentially break bash for all accounts.

[code:1:0c3932cf6c]
echo $PS1

man bash

# /PS1

# search for PS1

# you can also change terminal colors

[/code:1:0c3932cf6c]

Glad to hear you like Ubuntu thus far :-D
a b 5 Linux
May 5, 2007 4:31:05 AM

You should be able to install it using aptitude or the GUI to apt-get

To do it on the CLI

[code:1:a509f960a2]
sudo su -

# type in the root password -- it will not appear when you type it

apt-get install package_name

# so for example

apt-get install glib-sharp
[/code:1:a509f960a2]

Give it a try and see if it works.

Quote:
Can you give me the exact syntax to install the glib-sharp library?

I am a total newbie with the command line.

Thanks in advance!
May 5, 2007 4:25:37 PM

hi linux_0

well, everything going ok over here, except the other day, I don't know why, when I started ubuntu, it didnt mount any of my NTFS/FAT partitions :p , but nothing a couple of good ol restars wouldnt fix

right now I'm having troubles with amule/firestarter

I have already opened the ports that I set on amule to work but it doest connect to any server...and when I shutdown the firewall it connects to ed2k but kad semms to be firewalled... :p 

I've searched on the net, but everything I've found is exactly the same that other people have done, except it works for them, not for me :p 

also, is there a flash player pluigin (amd64) for firefox?
May 5, 2007 10:01:52 PM

Cowbell is still not working.
I even installed ubuntu again, but it doesn't work.
Today I logged in and I was taking a look at the different themes, and the frames for my windows disappeared.

How can I reset my windows.

I already switched my theme to the ubuntu default theme.

:oops: 
a b 5 Linux
May 6, 2007 11:59:25 AM

Open a terminal

[code:1:9e28e80fb6]

cd $HOME

mkdir backup

mv ~/.??* backup

[/code:1:9e28e80fb6]

these commands will move your configuration files under your home directory to the backup directory

then log out and log back in

the gui should re-create them automatically and you should get your windows back.

Quote:
Cowbell is still not working.
I even installed ubuntu again, but it doesn't work.
Today I logged in and I was taking a look at the different themes, and the frames for my windows disappeared.

How can I reset my windows.

I already switched my theme to the ubuntu default theme.

:oops: 
a b 5 Linux
May 6, 2007 12:00:33 PM

You can use the 32bit flash player instead with a 32bit firefox.

May 6, 2007 10:36:15 PM

Quote:
You can use the 32bit flash player instead with a 32bit firefox.

I recommend using Kilz' script, which you can download from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202537" target="_blank">this thread[/ulr] over at the ubuntu forums. I use this every time I do a fresh install of Ubuntu 64-bit. It will get firefox, flash, java, and the mplayer plugin working for you. You select which components you want.

Cheers!
!