dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
thats not really how the stock market works, just coz apple is bigger doesnt mean it is a worthy investment and can afford something like that

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Another clueless columnist doesn't realize that Apple is with Intel because they want the best low power processor solutions out there. AMD is not competitive in notebook processors and is falling further behind. Apple won't touch AMD with a 20 foot pole.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I would say they can afford it, no problems there and it could be a worthy investment because what the guy said in the link:....

Apple will reap out of this (other than adding another revenue stream) is to have complete control over its hardware from a cost standpoint. If it can convert Macs to AMD and ATI chips, all the key components are being developed in-house. Talk about increasing margins. Apple could either squeeze out higher margins-per-PC to lower the cost-per-Mac to allow for affordable switchover from Windows or improve its bottom line directly. Regardless of which way you cut it, Apple is going to be a winner in all of this

PS.not that i think this will happen.

Mandrake_

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Apple isn't even large enough to acquire ATi from AMD.. let alone AMD itself.

Apple has $12bn in cash sitting in the bank and a market cap of more than $85bn. :lol:

Of course, suggesting that Apple should buy AMD is just plain stupid. Why pay for all the CPU R&D and manufacturing costs when they can just buy the CPU straight from Intel?

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
wait apple has what kind of marketshare in the computer biz? its in a better position now than it would be if it acquired amd.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Interesting idea but why? What would Apple gain? Right now Apple can wrap shiny plastic around any off the shelf components and find buyers.

If AMD ends up in play there are far better names to pull out of the air; TSMC, (not seriously, just throwing a name out there)?

JCon

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Here's an argument for me to buy Apple:

I like apples and I'm hungry. Done, I've decided to buy apple (just one).

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I had a friend whom i told AMD acquired ATI, so he said 'why dont they also acquire Asus and make mobos?' this article comes in the same manner as wat my friend said.

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I would say they can afford it, no problems there and it could be a worthy investment because what the guy said in the link:....

Apple will reap out of this (other than adding another revenue stream) is to have complete control over its hardware from a cost standpoint. If it can convert Macs to AMD and ATI chips, all the key components are being developed in-house. Talk about increasing margins. Apple could either squeeze out higher margins-per-PC to lower the cost-per-Mac to allow for affordable switchover from Windows or improve its bottom line directly. Regardless of which way you cut it, Apple is going to be a winner in all of this

PS.not that i think this will happen.

Apple isn't thriving by saving on component prices. If they had acquired the powerPC business from Motorola or IBM, they would be trying to sell their powerbooks as space heaters. It isn't in their best interest to own their own chip manufacturing because it makes them hostage to those chips whether they are a good choice or not.

Samsung and IBM would both be better suited to acquire AMD, because they would both gain synergies from the acquisition, IBM in particular. I would have added Freescale to the list, but I'm not sure taking AMD private for ~$9Billion is a good idea. There would end up being way too much debt involved considering how the private equity guys like to do business.

This whole discussion could very well be moot if the terms on AMD's new $2.2Billion in debt are unfavorable toward early payment or the delisting of AMD as a publicly traded entity.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Editorial was poorly written. It doesn't even break the ice over the fact that Apple and Dell are PC/consumer device assemblers, whereas AMD is a silicon manufacturer - almost wholly separate industries requiring different expertise. At the surface it doesn't look strategic at all.

There's no accounting for the scenario that AMD develops chips inferior to Intel's (historically at the process, not architectural level) - wouldn't that put Apple in worse position than simply leaving AMD alone?

Jobs is an interesting executive and can probably pull off things we don't imagine, but I doubt we would be the first ones seeing the light in taking over AMD. A decade ago Apple was hardly bigger than AMD-ATI in terms of revenue, stock value, or cash on hand/assets. Losses were staggering and bankruptcy/acquisition rumors were ubiquitous - a similar position to AMD today. Jobs turned all that around, but the difference is he co-founded Apple and basically grew up with it. All along his company has left it to others to do the nitty-gritty manufacturing.

futurelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
amd being mostly a semiconductor manufacturer aquired by apple would subvert the somewhat adverserial arrangement between retail product manufacturer and component supplier. If you own the entire process you assume the liability for the availability deadlines of everything and are not able to get compensation when a deadline is not met. AMD may be experiencing some of this phenomenon.