• Yes, but its just OK

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • No(fill in reason here lol

Votes: 12 20.3%

• Total voters

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I went out and bought a couple new games on a whim yesterday because i nver buy anything 8) So i saw the Dawn of War set for $19.99 and Supreme Commander for $39.99. Now i know SC is supposed to be a cpu intensive game, but i have a few questions.

First off, I thought this game was supposed to support up to four cores, but when i play, it doesn't even utilise two.

The second thing, do frames matter in this game? I was playing with my processor at stock on max settings at 1024x768(till my new monitor eventually comes) and i was getting around 45 most times, but the zoom level depeneded. Extreme heights and low to the ground gave me like 60, but at the point where you can see every unit, but just barely, that gave me like 10-20, BUT, it didn't seem bad, infact i barely noticed, not like FEAR where that could cost you a death.

So ya, I'm kinda busy and i can't think of what else i wanted to ask. I'd also be interested in your opinions of the game. I played the tutorial, and was still excited even though there was no enemy :p . The best surprise i had, was when the range limit on the uber artillery gun experimental unit was a min range not max range 8O

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I went out and bought a couple new games on a whim yesterday because i nver buy anything 8) So i saw the Dawn of War set for $19.99 and Supreme Commander for $39.99. Now i know SC is supposed to be a cpu intensive game, but i have a few questions.

First off, I thought this game was supposed to support up to four cores, but when i play, it doesn't even utilise two.

The second thing, do frames matter in this game? I was playing with my processor at stock on max settings at 1024x768(till my new monitor eventually comes) and i was getting around 45 most times, but the zoom level depeneded. Extreme heights and low to the ground gave me like 60, but at the point where you can see every unit, but just barely, that gave me like 10-20, BUT, it didn't seem bad, infact i barely noticed, not like FEAR where that could cost you a death.

So ya, I'm kinda busy and i can't think of what else i wanted to ask. I'd also be interested in your opinions of the game. I played the tutorial, and was still excited even though there was no enemy :p . The best surprise i had, was when the range limit on the uber artillery gun experimental unit was a min range not max range 8O
30FPS is more than enough for most RTSs. And... Dawn of War is the $hit. Get Dark Crusade and play as Tau. They are the best race, period. Best in the computer game, best on the tabletop :tongue:

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

30FPS is more than enough for most RTSs. And... Dawn of War is the $hit. Get Dark Crusade and play as Tau. They are the best race, period. Best in the computer game, best on the tabletop :tongue:

Ya, I wanted to get Dark Crusade becuase of the tau, but it was another $30, and although i could have bought it, i wnated to keep some money, as i only hd $115

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I like supcom. 8 player net game on 81x81 maps ;)
All about getting a really quick start so you don't get raped.

Ya, I played the tutorial, without watching any of the extremely helpfull videos, and had a stalled economy within a couple minutes :p . I was also a little confused at first that i had all three races, but i caught on fast.

Which race do you like best? I'm leaning towards the aeon? the red dudes 8)

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
SC is real good game. i enjoy playing it, tho non of my friends know how to play it, coz for them it seems complicated (noobs).
but my pc will be crying out loud, i have 2.8Ghz P4 HT. with 7600GT. n 1MB ram. aint that good. so it goes all crazy when the number of units reach the limit.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
SC is real good game. i enjoy playing it, tho non of my friends know how to play it, coz for them it seems complicated (noobs).
but my pc will be crying out loud, i have 2.8Ghz P4 HT. with 7600GT. n 1MB ram. aint that good. so it goes all crazy when the number of units reach the limit.

Ya, well that makes sense since the recomended RAM is 1 gig not 1 mb :p , that would be a huge bottleneck.

:wink:

MonocleCat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007

Ya, well that makes sense since the recomended RAM is 1 gig not 1 mb :p , that would be a huge bottleneck.

:wink:

Beats the hell out of a commodore 64 though...

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

in my humble opinion, the game's ok.. but its very very heavy in computer requirements.. :|

and yeah once you get the place filled with battlecruisers, fliying ships, lots of shields & lots of turrets, its gets slow to a crawl... sort of less than 10 fps..
but as long you get more than 30 you wont see much problem there.. :eek:

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I like supcom. 8 player net game on 81x81 maps ;)
All about getting a really quick start so you don't get raped.

Ya, I played the tutorial, without watching any of the extremely helpfull videos, and had a stalled economy within a couple minutes :p . I was also a little confused at first that i had all three races, but i caught on fast.

Which race do you like best? I'm leaning towards the aeon? the red dudes 8)

I like them all tbh. Each has their strengths. Arttillary annoys me :mad:@ except when i have it ;)

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Supcom is bad..... lol you thought it would support 4 cores, it doesnt even support SLI! I bet you've never read their tech support forum, too many issues. I'm not sure if anything has been resolved, because after a month (got it the day it was released), I stopped playing.

For me, the missions were boring and felt extremely repetitive. I had some fun with multiplayer.. but the connection issues......

There *was* (dont know if its been fixed, dont really care) an issue with vsync, although it would say its off, it was actually on, you had to turn it "on" then "off" in game....

3 of my coworkers bought the game soon after I did, we're all playing other stuff now (2 of us c&c3).

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
i thought the large scale was awesome for a while but supcom isnt really a game that you can pick up, play and leave after an hour like c&c3. they are just different games. its pretty awesome for a lan party but the way me and all my friends play (turtling) it takes forever to take out one guy. we're all horrible at siege and assault so they almost never work.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Stemnin, the connection issues (all the ones I'm aware of, anyway) have been fixed.

It does use 2 cores (the performance difference is quite large between 1 and 2 cores), but not more than that, as far as I know.

I haven't played through all the missions, but multi with friends is a blast.

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
My opinion:
CNC 3 > Dark Crusade > Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander is awesome, but it's kind of slow & boring & it takes more than 2 Hours to have some T4 units.
Dark crusade is the best in GamePlay & unit Voices!
CNC 3 is the overall winner!
Supreme Commander has the best graphics & worst voices!

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Stemnin, the connection issues (all the ones I'm aware of, anyway) have been fixed.

It does use 2 cores (the performance difference is quite large between 1 and 2 cores), but not more than that, as far as I know.

I haven't played through all the missions, but multi with friends is a blast.

I read a review some days ago. Somebody tried it on a quad-core and it turned out it was using the 3rd and 4th core after all but only at 10% of their capacity or so. Obviously they tried to delegate some tasks to additional threads but these tasks were not that intensive. Oh well, it's a good start anyway :lol: :lol:

TMSter

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Hello, I didn't read everyones posts. I know shame, shame. Anyway I think the gameplay even on fast is to slow seems to take hours to do anything. lol Besides that i like it. :p By the way i put yes i could play it all day, cause frankly it takes all day. :twisted:

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
I really enjoyed Supreme Commander, although it took a long time to finish without trainers. The Aeon were my favorite race, by a long shot. My only complaint is that I couldn't get the Czar until the very last mission.

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
:D I also liked the zooming in and out feature a lot in Supreme Commander, it made the huge maps much easier to manage. Don't get me wrong, C&C3 is a very fun game. However, that RTS feels watered down compared to Supreme Commander.