Best Company to buy a built system

gerryroberts

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
I am in the market for a fast computer to do video editing and photo shop on. I don't have a lot of time shopping around and putting together a system. I am looking for a good quality company to build a top rated computer with some of my specs. Can someone be so kind and recommend a company that can build a system with top rated components?

Thanks

Nizandrvn

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
expect to pay a little premium for a companies that use consumer products in their PCs. You are basically paying for someone to set it up for you, and for any tech support you may need in the short run. ibuypower (saw them on CNET), realtively inexpensive, don't much about them. then there are companies like Falcon Northwest, expensive. Alienware comes with a premium, too.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Before building my own computers I had used cyberpowerinc.com for my prebuilts. Never had any problems with them. My brother used his for 5 years before upgrading. Might want to give them a whirl.

sailer

Splendid
The answer depends a bit on your budget. I bought a Cyberpower over a year ago and its been a good enough computer. Nothing fancy, but good enough. On top end, I bought an Alienware once and it was great. The differences are mainly in warrenty service, quality of parts and care in putting it together.

I've built my own computers the last few times and its a trade off. A homebuilt is definitely cheaper and you know exactly every part that goes into it, but if anything goes wrong, then you have the sole responsibility of fixing it.

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
There's also a middle ground between building it yourself and Alienware. Your local computer shop will be happy to assemble a PC for you and it will cost $30 or $50 or so for assembly. At least that's how it works in my city. Component prices vary, not much, but enough to warrant some shopping around. In general I can get a great gaming machine for about 10% more from my favourite local shop than if I ordered all the pieces online and built it myself. It would be about 25% more from the worst local shop I know of, or 50% more from Alienware...

jjknoll

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I'm glad to see Stewart had good luck with CyberPower. I did not. I thought I had done my homework but obviously not good enough. I had a TON of problems with them. As to this day I do not have the computer I ordered from them. I have the computer, just the components were not as ordered. Their tech support is terribly rude and had to send my computer back after it crashed repeatedly after just a few hours of use. They then had the computer for nearly 2 months. By the time I recieved it fixed (but still not as ordered) it was practically out of date as quads and new gfx cards had come out. It was a real nightmare. I wish I could remember some of the articles I was pointed to after the fact as they were rated very poor by some review sites for some of the very problems I experienced. They do have very good prices but it is not worth the headache of the problems that may follow.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I'm glad to see Stewart had good luck with CyberPower. I did not. I thought I had done my homework but obviously not good enough. I had a TON of problems with them. As to this day I do not have the computer I ordered from them. I have the computer, just the components were not as ordered. Their tech support is terribly rude and had to send my computer back after it crashed repeatedly after just a few hours of use. They then had the computer for nearly 2 months. By the time I recieved it fixed (but still not as ordered) it was practically out of date as quads and new gfx cards had come out. It was a real nightmare. I wish I could remember some of the articles I was pointed to after the fact as they were rated very poor by some review sites for some of the very problems I experienced. They do have very good prices but it is not worth the headache of the problems that may follow.

Ouch that sucks to hear that. Me and my brother ordered computers from them along time ago around 1999-2000 era so maybe that had something to do with it. As far as the parts not being what you ordered I have heard about that before and how they will use a part similar to whatever you selected based on price. I think that's messed up but what are you going to do you know. As far as price goes they do seem to have really good priced systems but I'm sure that's from using low shelf items.

At any rate I'm sorry you had so much trouble with them. I hate to hear of anyone having a bad experience with computers.

jjknoll

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Yeah. Thanks for the reply. I'm glad your rigs didn't have the same problems. I was really geeked when I first ordered as this was my first gaming computer with high end stuff. I had previously bought Dells, which were OK for what I needed at the time. But boy did I get a bad deal with CyberPower. After posting a couple tidbits on Tom's I came to find I was not the only one as one poster had said that anyone that buys from there eventually comes crying about it on the forums.

erik_tilton

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I love my ABS computer

l_c2945c8285228d42efe6789a6206e7a8.jpg

l_b9e294eb8d6c860c59454226cdd84ad6.jpg

e6600
8800GTS
680i motherboard
2GB Corsair (forgot what kind)

Brings me great pleasure 8O

It costs, I dunno, $300-400 more than building one with the same parts. But that's $300-$400 of what could have been frustration for me since this is my first custom-built computer.

ABS is an acronym for "Newegg's Prebuilt Computers", by the way.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Yeah, its called learning how to build your own, it really very simple and cheaper. and best of all you dont use cheap parts, there must be 1000+ guide on the internet telling you how to do so.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
i did ibuypower.com over 2 years ago. Harddrive went , they sent me a new one once they got the old one back. Then mobo chipset fan went bad they sent me a new Mobo chipset fan. Once warrenty is up next year will probably buy from them again. I heard they sell there preconfigured systems at wallmart now too. if you don't need your hand held all the time they are fine.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
My last build I had the shop build it. Once you are spending over a certain amount it was $15.00. Some places are free once you have spent a certain amount.

There are disadvantages to having them do it but for $15.00 they get can get all the components, make sure they work, handle anything that needs to be RMA'd and install windows(boring).

Then I got it home, update the bios, drivers and windows, redo some wiring, turn the psu around so it can breathe and laugh at how they put the antec 900's top rubber mat under the psu.

I wouldn't pay a lot to have it built or more for components but for $15.00 they get to deal with any issues.

sailer

Splendid
There's also a middle ground between building it yourself and Alienware. Your local computer shop will be happy to assemble a PC for you and it will cost $30 or $50 or so for assembly. At least that's how it works in my city.

Unfortuantely, the local computer shops where I live charge between $200-$500 to assemble a computer. The $200 price still isn't too bad compared to buying one from Alienware or FNW, but you're still stuck with warrenty and service costs afterwards. The $500 price gets a bit of service work. Still, I'd rather put it together myself than pay that price.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Charging $200+ to assemble a computer is ridiculous, at least if you buy all the parts from them. Sometimes they will assemble it for really cheap, but will charge more if you want the OS installed, since that can be the most time consuming part. Of course if they don't install the OS, you still have to deal with faulty parts and most stores won't give you an in store warranty.

tdank

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
The one time I bought a prebuilt was from Alienware. I had the money and wanted to see what the hype was all about.

System was very clean and ran superbly. But I wouldnt say it was great enough to warrant the attached premium. Customer service was sketchy on some bad RAM as well. They did exchange it but they werent exactly forthcoming about it.

Cyberpower I have heard mixed reviews on, as you see in this thread. Falcon Northwest has decent machines but I dont think they justify the premium either.

Bottom line is all companies have their perks and their flaws. You can pick through them all or just accept the fact youll have goods and bads with all of them.

I would suggest that you try to find a local shop that will build what you want and can support it. If the builder is remote, you will have communication and shipping costs to get things fixed.

singhr3

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
i bought my prebuilt from velocitymicro and i am very satisfied.
highy recommended.

I would not recommend cyberpowerpc / ibuypower, their support is terrible, i myself had a bad experience with them.

Search google for ibuypower nightmare

shawnpaul3

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Friend, whatever you do, avoid Gateway at all costs. I won't go into detail with the trouble I've personally experienced with them. Suffice it to say, anybody is a better a choice than that big waste.

sailer

Splendid
Funny that you should mention Gateway. Fifteen years ago it was one of the up and coming companies that offered a great deal and good service. Now the only things I hear about it bad service and no deal at all.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I think in the end it just boils down to personal perference and perks. Just make sure you research where ever you decide to go and make sure they will give you support if you need it. Remember it's your money and in the end it will be your computer so try and get the best you can for what your spending.

My 2 copper