Ely

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
Greetings again, fellow forum dwellers. As I continue my quest of building a new pc, I had an idea (a Very dangerous prospect to say the least).
It went on something like this: "How about a different looking computer case...? One of those small ones? With a cool LCD-display on the front... Yeees... :twisted: " and paid a visit to those made by Shuttle (The only one I know) and found them to be a bit unsuitable. I really think that a mini-case for my as of yet un-born computer would would be nice, but I don't know any other mini-case maker from where to look.
So the unavoidable questions. Are Shuttles (or any other manufacturer) worth the trouble? I really would like to build the actual 'puter for my self. Are they difficult to assemble? Where to look? Does NewEgg deliver their products to EU?

Thanks again in advance.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Here's a link to Tiger Direct with the cases they sell: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1508&
A google search of "micro atx case reviews" yields several pages of reviews, although some are rather dated, but should give you a good start. I know I saw a comparison of 3 or 4 different matx cases a few months ago but can't find the link now.
Here's another link that will give you some ideas but not reviews: http://www.directron.com/cubecase.html

Sounds like fun - good luck.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The main problem will probably be getting all the components to go inside (they'll be pretty pricey). Good luck, though.

From the reviews I've seen, they take standard components. It sounds like power supplies and heat management may be the biggest challenges but it depends on what you want to do with the system. If I had a need for another computer, I'd be looking at that option myself. I know an IT guy at a small company who swears by the matx cases and is putting together all the replacement machines as matx units.

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Yeah, I considered putting my own mATX system together, as I rarely ever use the PCI slots. But, heat management is a problem, especially as I intend to overclock. Plus, I have 3 HDDs at the moment and intend to get a Raptor in my next build. If the hard drive space wasn't an issue, I still wouldn't get a mATX system, though - just get a Mac Book Pro instead.

occdavid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
If you haven't seen these two yet - take a look at the Sugo series by SilverStone. Their older one, the SG01 is nice. But I'm waiting for the new SG03. I emailed their sales and they replied back that the SG03 should be available mid May.
Link

Maturin

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005
Check out the Silverstone SG-01 paired with the Silverstone NT-06 Lite CPU cooler. It runs cool and quiet and will fit everything except the 8800gtx, and even that is doable with a bit of modding.

People also like the Ultra MicroFly aka the X-Qpak there is a new version of that one on Newegg.

ThermalTake Lanbox and Lanbox Lite are TT's venture into the non-standard realm.

I'm a Shuttle enthusiast myself, maybe I can direct you to a suitable one...

Ely

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
Aye. I was thinking the Shuttles my self but somehow they just don't feel right. Yea, there are powerful compys on their 'site, but with a wee bit expensive pricetag attached... The size would indeed become a problem as I have a bad habit of stuffing my HDs with all kinds of stuff :twisted: Need to keep looking though. Thanks for the suggestions

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Check out the Silverstone SG-01 paired with the Silverstone NT-06 Lite CPU cooler. It runs cool and quiet and will fit everything except the 8800gtx, and even that is doable with a bit of modding.

People also like the Ultra MicroFly aka the X-Qpak there is a new version of that one on Newegg.

ThermalTake Lanbox and Lanbox Lite are TT's venture into the non-standard realm.

I'm a Shuttle enthusiast myself, maybe I can direct you to a suitable one...

I have a Microfly/Qpak for my HTPC. It will hold a standard mATX motherboard, and a standard Power supply, two hard drives and an optical drive. The motherboard tray slides out nicely for mounting components. It can sometimes be had for as little as $40.

The "bad" news: the onboard PS is iffy (lots of people have had them die) and noisy. The onboard blue fan is noisy. There is virtually no overhead for anything bigger than the standard HSF (no high overclocking). Further, the MB is horizontal which means most HSF with heatpipe will not be oriented correctly. The plastic window version scratch easily and the blue fans/ps is annoying. The handle on the front is for looks only.

All small cases are going to be a tradeoff. The fact that it will take a uATX MB and standard PS is what swayed me to it. Most other uATX cases take non-standard PS which are genenerally low powered, hard to find, and noisy.

I'm looking to build an SSF pc myself this summer. The TT Lanbox Lite really caught my eye. 2x60mm fans and a 90mm intake. It has a good look, cheap price and will fit standard ATX PSUs and they say it will fit an 8800 series card (with HDD cage removal, which is what I will do).

TT Lanbox Lite

Maturin

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005
Aye. I was thinking the Shuttles my self but somehow they just don't feel right. Yea, there are powerful compys on their 'site, but with a wee bit expensive pricetag attached... The size would indeed become a problem as I have a bad habit of stuffing my HDs with all kinds of stuff :twisted: Need to keep looking though. Thanks for the suggestions

Yeah the most hard drives you can fit in a Shuttle is 3 with the P/P2 series. Its enough for me, but maybe not for you :/
BTW the Shuttle PSUs run much better than spec, if anyone was wondering. It can power anything you can fit in there stock. (except probably 2900xtx)

I was thinking of this case for my next build. Lots of room for fans (and radiators :D), 4 3.5 bays, shoebox form factor... Looks pretty good. Not sure if its avalable in EU though