I'm amazed that...

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 7, 2004 2:02:40 AM

got my OTA HD working (just needed a little height) and have been
watching all the networks in HD.... looks awesome! What I find so
amazing is nobody really even knows about it.. I mean, I talk about
it at work, out with friends, family, and everyone is like, "huh?"
"what do you mean?" "antenna?" - I'm watching college and pro
football in HD, watched Perfect Storm in HD, watched CSI in HD - all
for FREE! Even when these programs say Available in HD these people
still don't know anything about it! These are people in a 300,000
pop. city in Indiana... Doctors to janitors... even the CBS news
anchor (a friend of mine) didn't even know - or care - about HD
content from her local station... Anyway, not one person knew they
can get HD content for free OTA.... makes me wonder how long these
stations will continue to broadcast in HD instead of straight SD...

Kevin

P.S. not to mention the local weather radar on HD and the menu system
which works much like a satellite - cool!!

More about : amazed

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:18:50 AM

For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.

My neighbor who recenty got a HDTV set and receives his HD content via
cable was baffled when he saw me installing a roof antenna and rotor. He
claims to be well read on the subject, but was clueless about OTA
potential.

A local DirecTV installer was also suprised with what I was receiving on
my roof antenna. He installs those little flying saucers for OTA
reception for DirecTV and NOW says they don't work. He's been telling
people in my area that reception is poor...until he came to my house.

If you're in a good OTA HDTV market, satellite without locals is very
cost efficient when combined with FREE OTA HD.

I'm in the NYC market. I get CBS, FOX, ABC and PBS. WB, UPN and NBC are
due in a couple of weeks.

Harry
Admin at http://www.hdtvforum.com
December 7, 2004 2:37:33 AM

For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.

That's exactly what I'm thinking!!!

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:18:50 -0500, shamrock2020@webtv.net (Harry
Dugan) wrote:

>For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.
>
>My neighbor who recenty got a HDTV set and receives his HD content via
>cable was baffled when he saw me installing a roof antenna and rotor. He
>claims to be well read on the subject, but was clueless about OTA
>potential.
>
>A local DirecTV installer was also suprised with what I was receiving on
>my roof antenna. He installs those little flying saucers for OTA
>reception for DirecTV and NOW says they don't work. He's been telling
>people in my area that reception is poor...until he came to my house.
>
>If you're in a good OTA HDTV market, satellite without locals is very
>cost efficient when combined with FREE OTA HD.
>
>I'm in the NYC market. I get CBS, FOX, ABC and PBS. WB, UPN and NBC are
>due in a couple of weeks.
>
>Harry
>Admin at http://www.hdtvforum.com
Related resources
December 7, 2004 9:26:38 PM

"Me" <Pkevinf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> got my OTA HD working (just needed a little height) and have been
> watching all the networks in HD.... looks awesome! What I find so
> amazing is nobody really even knows about it.. I mean, I talk about
> it at work, out with friends, family, and everyone is like, "huh?"
> "what do you mean?" "antenna?" - I'm watching college and pro
> football in HD, watched Perfect Storm in HD, watched CSI in HD - all
> for FREE! Even when these programs say Available in HD these people
> still don't know anything about it! These are people in a 300,000
> pop. city in Indiana... Doctors to janitors... even the CBS news
> anchor (a friend of mine) didn't even know - or care - about HD
> content from her local station... Anyway, not one person knew they
> can get HD content for free OTA.... makes me wonder how long these
> stations will continue to broadcast in HD instead of straight SD...
> Kevin
> P.S. not to mention the local weather radar on HD and the menu system
> which works much like a satellite - cool!!

We've been getting very nice HD over-the-air reception here since 1999.
We're behind two mountain ranges, and huge wavy trees in the way of the
towers and in a very busy aircraft location. The picture is rock-solid.

It's like we broke all the rules, but it still works very nicely!

I agree that noone seems to know how easy and reliable it really is,
especially salesmen.

I've used six different receivers in different rooms, or for different
purposes:
Set-top-boxes: RCA DTC-100, Zenith DTV1080, RCA HR10-250.
Computer cards (used to record the shows): Accessdtv, Hipix, and MyHD.

All of these recievers have worked perfectly for OTA HDTV, using a small
$25.00 rooftop antenna.

Normal TV reception here stinks, but digital works fine, go figure. :-)
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 11:18:07 PM

Me wrote:

> For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.
>
> That's exactly what I'm thinking!!!

And for good reason. But this is about to change with the advent of the
new 5th gen receiver. Broadcasters are not going to be able to ignore
OTA and they will not want to. If they don't pay attention others will
for them.

Bob Miller

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:18:50 -0500, shamrock2020@webtv.net (Harry
> Dugan) wrote:
>

>>For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.
>>
>>My neighbor who recenty got a HDTV set and receives his HD content via
>>cable was baffled when he saw me installing a roof antenna and rotor. He
>>claims to be well read on the subject, but was clueless about OTA
>>potential.
>>
>>A local DirecTV installer was also suprised with what I was receiving on
>>my roof antenna. He installs those little flying saucers for OTA
>>reception for DirecTV and NOW says they don't work. He's been telling
>>people in my area that reception is poor...until he came to my house.
>>
>>If you're in a good OTA HDTV market, satellite without locals is very
>>cost efficient when combined with FREE OTA HD.
>>
>>I'm in the NYC market. I get CBS, FOX, ABC and PBS. WB, UPN and NBC are
>>due in a couple of weeks.
>>
>>Harry
>>Admin at http://www.hdtvforum.com

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 3:43:43 AM

Me wrote:
> For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.
>
> That's exactly what I'm thinking!!!

It only seemed like yesterday when DVD was a
huge secret too. Strange how times have changed.

Brian The Demolition Man Little
Who just got a Pioneer CLD-D702 Laserdisc player.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 4:17:33 AM

"David" <davey2@comcast.net> wrote in message

> We've been getting very nice HD over-the-air reception here since 1999.
> We're behind two mountain ranges, and huge wavy trees in the way of the
> towers and in a very busy aircraft location. The picture is rock-solid.
>
> It's like we broke all the rules, but it still works very nicely!
>
> I agree that noone seems to know how easy and reliable it really is,
> especially salesmen.
>
> I've used six different receivers in different rooms, or for different
> purposes:
> Set-top-boxes: RCA DTC-100, Zenith DTV1080, RCA HR10-250.
> Computer cards (used to record the shows): Accessdtv, Hipix, and MyHD.
>
> All of these recievers have worked perfectly for OTA HDTV, using a small
> $25.00 rooftop antenna.
>
> Normal TV reception here stinks, but digital works fine, go figure. :-)

Ok, I'll bit, what size antenna are we talking about? I live 50mi north of
Los Angles, Ca. What size would I need close to this large metropolitan
area? Is there a web site that would guesstimate size need. Size is
important, is it not?

Regards,
Harry
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 4:17:34 AM

Harry:

Go to www.antenaweb.com and plug in your address and the program will give
you the azmuth (compass bearing) and distance to all of the analog and
digital stations. In LA the digital major network stations will be on Mt
Wilson, which may be pretty close to you if you are 50 miles north of LA.
The program will also tell you what class of antenna you need to get a
decent signal.

David
"HARRY DELLAMANO" <harry_td@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "David" <davey2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > We've been getting very nice HD over-the-air reception here since 1999.
> > We're behind two mountain ranges, and huge wavy trees in the way of the
> > towers and in a very busy aircraft location. The picture is rock-solid.
> >
> > It's like we broke all the rules, but it still works very nicely!
> >
> > I agree that noone seems to know how easy and reliable it really is,
> > especially salesmen.
> >
> > I've used six different receivers in different rooms, or for different
> > purposes:
> > Set-top-boxes: RCA DTC-100, Zenith DTV1080, RCA HR10-250.
> > Computer cards (used to record the shows): Accessdtv, Hipix, and MyHD.
> >
> > All of these recievers have worked perfectly for OTA HDTV, using a small
> > $25.00 rooftop antenna.
> >
> > Normal TV reception here stinks, but digital works fine, go figure. :-)
> >

> Ok, I'll bit, what size antenna are we talking about? I live 50mi north
of
> Los Angles, Ca. What size would I need close to this large metropolitan
> area? Is there a web site that would guesstimate size need. Size is
> important, is it not?
>
> Regards,
> Harry

December 8, 2004 10:39:26 AM

"HARRY DELLAMANO" <harry_td@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "David" <davey2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> We've been getting very nice HD over-the-air reception here since 1999.
>> We're behind two mountain ranges, and huge wavy trees in the way of the
>> towers and in a very busy aircraft location. The picture is rock-solid.
>> It's like we broke all the rules, but it still works very nicely!
>> I agree that noone seems to know how easy and reliable it really is,
>> especially salesmen.
>> I've used six different receivers in different rooms, or for different
>> purposes:
>> Set-top-boxes: RCA DTC-100, Zenith DTV1080, RCA HR10-250.
>> Computer cards (used to record the shows): Accessdtv, Hipix, and MyHD.
>> All of these recievers have worked perfectly for OTA HDTV, using a small
>> $25.00 rooftop antenna.
>> Normal TV reception here stinks, but digital works fine, go figure. :-)
>>
> Ok, I'll bit, what size antenna are we talking about? I live 50mi north of
> Los Angles, Ca. What size would I need close to this large metropolitan
> area? Is there a web site that would guesstimate size need. Size is
> important, is it not?
>
> Regards,
> Harry

You can also read about other antenna adventures in your area here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...

Keep in mind that many broadcasters have increased their transmitter power
over time.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 11:43:01 PM

"Harry Dugan" <shamrock2020@webtv.net> wrote in message
> For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.

I think the underlying issue is how few people still watch mainly the OTA
networks.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:21:11 AM

"David" <davey3@home.com> wrote in message
> "HARRY DELLAMANO" <harry_td@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "David" <davey2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> We've been getting very nice HD over-the-air reception here since 1999.
>>> We're behind two mountain ranges, and huge wavy trees in the way of the
>>> towers and in a very busy aircraft location. The picture is rock-solid.
>>> It's like we broke all the rules, but it still works very nicely!
>>> I agree that noone seems to know how easy and reliable it really is,
>>> especially salesmen.
>>> I've used six different receivers in different rooms, or for different
>>> purposes:
>>> Set-top-boxes: RCA DTC-100, Zenith DTV1080, RCA HR10-250.
>>> Computer cards (used to record the shows): Accessdtv, Hipix, and MyHD.
>>> All of these recievers have worked perfectly for OTA HDTV, using a small
>>> $25.00 rooftop antenna.
>>> Normal TV reception here stinks, but digital works fine, go figure. :-)
>>>
>> Ok, I'll bit, what size antenna are we talking about? I live 50mi north
>> of Los Angles, Ca. What size would I need close to this large
>> metropolitan area? Is there a web site that would guesstimate size need.
>> Size is important, is it not?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Harry
>
> You can also read about other antenna adventures in your area here:
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...
>
> Keep in mind that many broadcasters have increased their transmitter power
> over time.

I'm amazed that all of the stations listed for LA, of which there are 20,
there are no Digital stations, only Analog. Is there no FCC mandate or is
the listing old?
Thanks for the informative links.
Harry
December 9, 2004 1:21:12 AM

> "David" <davey3@home.com> wrote in message
>> "HARRY DELLAMANO" <harry_td@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> "David" <davey2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Ok, I'll bit, what size antenna are we talking about? I live 50mi north
>>> of Los Angles, Ca. What size would I need close to this large
>>> metropolitan area? Is there a web site that would guesstimate size need.
>>> Size is important, is it not?
>>> Regards,
>>> Harry
>> You can also read about other antenna adventures in your area here:
>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...
>> Keep in mind that many broadcasters have increased their transmitter
>> power over time.
> I'm amazed that all of the stations listed for LA, of which there are 20,
> there are no Digital stations, only Analog. Is there no FCC mandate or is
> the listing old?
> Thanks for the informative links.
> Harry

There are many digital stations in L.A.
www.antennaweb.org can be kinda buggy sometimes.

I also heard it won't help past 50 miles.
You can try a search for your town or area at AVS forum to see other's
results..
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:21:12 AM

HARRY DELLAMANO (harry_td@verizon.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> > http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...
> >
> > Keep in mind that many broadcasters have increased their transmitter power
> > over time.
>
> I'm amazed that all of the stations listed for LA, of which there are 20,
> there are no Digital stations, only Analog. Is there no FCC mandate or is
> the listing old?

There is no "analog OTA TV" discussion on AVS Forum, so *everything* talked
about for OTA is digital TV. All 20 of those stations are digital.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/VelveetaAndRo...

I agree. People would also be shocked to know that OTA HDTV is the BEST
quality you will likely ever see because they aren't limited in bandwidth so
much like Cable and Satellite services.

Broadcast TV is too cool.

--Dan

"Me" <Pkevinf@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> got my OTA HD working (just needed a little height) and have been
> watching all the networks in HD.... looks awesome! What I find so
> amazing is nobody really even knows about it.. I mean, I talk about
> it at work, out with friends, family, and everyone is like, "huh?"
> "what do you mean?" "antenna?" - I'm watching college and pro
> football in HD, watched Perfect Storm in HD, watched CSI in HD - all
> for FREE! Even when these programs say Available in HD these people
> still don't know anything about it! These are people in a 300,000
> pop. city in Indiana... Doctors to janitors... even the CBS news
> anchor (a friend of mine) didn't even know - or care - about HD
> content from her local station... Anyway, not one person knew they
> can get HD content for free OTA.... makes me wonder how long these
> stations will continue to broadcast in HD instead of straight SD...
>
> Kevin
>
> P.S. not to mention the local weather radar on HD and the menu system
> which works much like a satellite - cool!!

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:41:22 AM

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Harry Dugan" <shamrock2020@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.
>
>I think the underlying issue is how few people still watch mainly the OTA
>networks.

That's all my wife *ever* watches. Just network TV. Period.

Me, I don't think I could live without ESPN.
I almost never watch any of the major networks.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 2:15:04 AM

In article <I0vtd.22607$KO5.12198@fed1read02>,
"David&Joan" <djmarchand@cox.net> wrote:

> Go to www.antenaweb.com and plug in your address and the program will give
> you the azmuth (compass bearing) and distance to all of the analog and
> digital stations. In LA the digital major network stations will be on Mt
> Wilson, which may be pretty close to you if you are 50 miles north of LA.
> The program will also tell you what class of antenna you need to get a
> decent signal.

I that the right URL? I tried www.antenaweb.com and got a foreign
language pricing service of some kind.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

"Robert Peirce" <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <I0vtd.22607$KO5.12198@fed1read02>,
> "David&Joan" <djmarchand@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Go to www.antenaweb.com and plug in your address and the program will
>> give
>> you the azmuth (compass bearing) and distance to all of the analog and
>> digital stations. In LA the digital major network stations will be on Mt
>> Wilson, which may be pretty close to you if you are 50 miles north of LA.
>> The program will also tell you what class of antenna you need to get a
>> decent signal.
> I that the right URL? I tried www.antenaweb.com and got a foreign
> language pricing service of some kind.
> Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
> bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
> rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

The URL is www.antennaweb.org
December 9, 2004 2:25:05 AM

didn't think of that.... good point!

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:35:55 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I agree. People would also be shocked to know that OTA HDTV is the BEST
>quality you will likely ever see because they aren't limited in bandwidth so
>much like Cable and Satellite services.
>
>Broadcast TV is too cool.
>
>--Dan
>
>"Me" <Pkevinf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> got my OTA HD working (just needed a little height) and have been
>> watching all the networks in HD.... looks awesome! What I find so
>> amazing is nobody really even knows about it.. I mean, I talk about
>> it at work, out with friends, family, and everyone is like, "huh?"
>> "what do you mean?" "antenna?" - I'm watching college and pro
>> football in HD, watched Perfect Storm in HD, watched CSI in HD - all
>> for FREE! Even when these programs say Available in HD these people
>> still don't know anything about it! These are people in a 300,000
>> pop. city in Indiana... Doctors to janitors... even the CBS news
>> anchor (a friend of mine) didn't even know - or care - about HD
>> content from her local station... Anyway, not one person knew they
>> can get HD content for free OTA.... makes me wonder how long these
>> stations will continue to broadcast in HD instead of straight SD...
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> P.S. not to mention the local weather radar on HD and the menu system
>> which works much like a satellite - cool!!

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 10:05:39 AM

Randy Sweeney wrote:
> "Harry Dugan" <shamrock2020@webtv.net> wrote in message
>
>>For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.
>
> I think the underlying issue is how few people still watch mainly the OTA
> networks.

I'm sure the majors would like to have more viewers, but they're still
getting the lion's share of the market. We've got lots more choices
these days than we did decades ago, so obviously everyone has a thinner
slice of the pie. But the three original networks are still doing very
well, and Fox and WB, and even UPN, have managed to carve out a healthy
market for themselves.

At my house, we watch the major networks every evening. WB, in
particular, has done a great job of attracting the youth audience - my
kids watch it all the time.

We never watch CNN or ESPN, or Spike, Bravo, USA, and whatever else.
The music video channels get some play here, but nothing compared to the
broadcast networks.

In fact, the only real cable network that we pay any attention to is
HDNET. It seems to be the only one of the HD channels that actually has
anything on worth watching. They're reruns of major network shows,
true, but at least they've selected some quality stuff. "The Agency",
"The Handler", "Smallville", etc., are all good shows that we never even
knew about when they were OTA. But now that we can see them in HD,
we're enjoying them a lot.

The rest of the HD-specific networks (HDNET Movies, ESPN-HD, InHD, InHD
Movies, Discovery-HD) that we get here so far have not shown anything
that's attracted my attention.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 10:40:25 PM

"Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message
> Randy Sweeney wrote:
>> "Harry Dugan" <shamrock2020@webtv.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.
>>
>> I think the underlying issue is how few people still watch mainly the OTA
>> networks.
>
> I'm sure the majors would like to have more viewers, but they're still
> getting the lion's share of the market.

Last years numbers indicate that the sum share of cable networks exceeded
the sum share of OTA networks.

The young lion has stolen the old lion's share.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 5:51:44 AM

Harry Dugan wrote:

> For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.

I agree, especially in the major electronic stores. I think that there
is an intentional effort to steer the customer toward cable or
satellite, even in areas where digital reception is exceptional. On one
occasion a salesman told me that there was no digital reception in the
South Florida area. My reply was simple:
WPEC-DT (CBS), WPTV-DT(NBC), WPXP-DT(PAX),
WFLX-DT(FOX),WXEL-DT(PBS), WHFT-DT(ind),
WAMI-DT(ind), WPXM-DT(PAX), WSCV-DT(Telemundo),WLRN-DT(PBS),WBFS-DT(UPN),
WPLG-DT(ABC),WFOR-DT(WCBS),WLTV-DT(Univision),
WBZL-DT(WB),WTVJ-DT(NBC),WSVN-DT(FOX),WPBT-DT(PBS),WTVX-DT
(UPN),WPBF-DT(ABC) and several others over 100 miles distant, when I
adjust my antenna height and direction.

> I'm in the NYC market. I get CBS, FOX, ABC and PBS. WB, UPN and NBC are
> due in a couple of weeks.

WB, UPN and NBC are currently on the air. UPN (WWOR-DT), however is
still sharing the same transmitter as WNYW-DT channel 44. You might be
able to receive WB WPIX-DT on channel 12 operating under an STA from the
NYC area. Their channel 12 antenna is co-located with their channel 33
antenna. I do get channel 12, but since my antenna is UHF only,
reception is not consistent. NBC (WNBC-DT) channel 28 is currently active.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:33:25 PM

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Harry Dugan" <shamrock2020@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> For now OTA HDTV seems to be a huge secret.
>

> I think the underlying issue is how few people still watch mainly the OTA
> networks.

Well, at least over an actually terrestrial antenna. While I don't
personally watch local channels much, I think a lot of people still do, but
probably the majority of people most places get those channels through cable
or satellite. People are increasingly seeing local broadcast (and the
associated rooftop or attic antenna, or worse still, rabbit ears etc.) as an
anacronism they're happy to leave behind, like tape. (Notice how D-VHS is
also overlooked, even though it's an inexpensive way to get full HDTV
quality that's been available for years?)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 8:45:45 PM

I would take what antennaweb.org says only as a "base". According to them, I
am only supposed to get 3 digital stations, yet I am actually able get 18
(last scan). If I put in my ZIP code only, instead of my full address, then
it shows more accurately what I am actually what I am able to receive. In
other words, it look like they tend to be rather conservative in estimating
your reception area. Granted, most of the stations that I do get are about
45 miles away, and we are surrounded by hills, but the center of my ZIP code
is only about 2 miles form my actual address, so there is some leeway in
their estimates. The directional information for each station is very good,
so take your compass with you up to the roof.

And OTA HDTV does seem to be a big secret. Most of my friends are amazed
that they are seeing HD from an antenna. You ought to see their faces when I
play SoundStage concerts recorded in HD on my D-VHS. "That's on tape?
Recorded off the air?"

I can't wait until HD-DVD.....

!