Sign in with
Your question

Where are all the Q6600 overclocking results?

Last response: in CPUs
May 2, 2007 4:19:11 PM

With the Q6600 expected to drop to $266 in the fall, why the heck aren't more people excited about this? I've been trying to figure out what the best mobo/chip combo is at this present point in time, for overclocking. Not much data around. I think that this will be the most exciting update since Conroe. Q6600 for $266 - I think I just blew my load.

FYI for those thinking about OC this baby to the max. Get the latest revision (think it drops temps by 11C or something):
"Intel announced a new revision (stepping G0) of the Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor. Compared to the stepping B3, the CPUID changes from 06F7 to 06FB, the S-Spec from SL9UM to SLACR but most of all the TDP is reduced from 105 to 95 Watts. One of the consequences of this new stepping is that in the guide for motherboard manufacturers, (the FMB), the Santa Clara based manufacturer says that the Q6600 is now also supposed to work with Mainstream and not only Performance motherboards.

Now, the thing is that the price, $530 (while waiting for the price reduction to $266 in September), is far from being "Mainstream". Interesting point, the Xeon 3210 and 3220 will also beneficiate from this new revision and their TDP will be reduced in the same proportions. This new s stepping G0 is scheduled to be released mid-July."

http://www.behardware.com/news/8785/step-g0-for-q6600-l...
May 2, 2007 5:42:35 PM

All I can personally tell is how easy the E6600 is to overclock.

Only by putting my fsb at 1.33GHz, I now have a 3.0GHz E6600 that NEVER go above 41C on air cooling on TAT or anything elses that I've thrown at it. I could easily do more, but I want long term stability and I know I'll have it.

Now I'm only waiting next year to get a quad core at below 400$ to switch my E6600. Still, even if Barcelona rock as much as AMD says it'll, I'm very please with my cpu.
Related resources
May 2, 2007 6:05:41 PM

Quote:

Now, the thing is that the price, $530 (while waiting for the price reduction to $266 in September), is far from being "Mainstream". Interesting point, the Xeon 3210 and 3220 will also beneficiate from this new revision and their TDP will be reduced in the same proportions. This new s stepping G0 is scheduled to be released mid-July."

[/i]

September? Has that been officially (or leaked) confirmed? The last I heard was Q3, with no elaboration on the month. Or is behardware.com just assuming it to be the last month of Q3?

I want to get Q6600 (with the new stepping), and was hoping for July. When I read that the new stepping will be released on 16th July, I had hoped that the price drop will also happen then. But September? :(  .

Also, where does it say that the new stepping will drop the core temp by 11 C? The TDP has been reduced by 10W, and I doubt that it will lead to such a drastic temp drop.
May 2, 2007 7:26:42 PM

Quote:

[/i]

September? Has that been officially (or leaked) confirmed? The last I heard was Q3, with no elaboration on the month. Or is behardware.com just assuming it to be the last month of Q3?

I want to get Q6600 (with the new stepping), and was hoping for July. When I read that the new stepping will be released on 16th July, I had hoped that the price drop will also happen then. But September? :(  .

Also, where does it say that the new stepping will drop the core temp by 11 C? The TDP has been reduced by 10W, and I doubt that it will lead to such a drastic temp drop.

Not sure where I read about the 11C, but I will try find it again. I think it was on Anandtech. I've been so disappointed with release dates in the past, so just put September in the back of your mind and you wont be unhappy. Cant remember where I read that too, but I think it was on the Foums. Intel officially said Q3, but I think it leaked somewhere about September. Just another tactic to get people to wait and not buy AMD chips now or in the future.

I think the Q6600 is going to be a hit (especially G-0), but I need to get solid data on that before making the jump. Cant wait till July to see the results. I hope that people bench it fast, and find the best mobo/Q6600 combo. I went with the P5WDH when Conroe came out, only to be disappointed because the P5B is cheaper and OC's better.
May 2, 2007 7:29:39 PM

The biggest problem with the Q6600 is heat. If you can only get to 2.9Ghz, then you are worse off for non-multithread apps. I'm currently at 3.3Ghz and it runs great.

Games up to this point will not run as well on the Q6600 if I cant OC that baby to at least 3.3Ghz.

Multithread is of course another story. Q6600 is king.
May 3, 2007 4:24:42 AM

Hi! I appreciate you asking me to add to this: Unlike the qx6700 the q6600 seems not to mind higher bus speeds above 1330 fsb - i believe this is build into the chip.

3.33 ghz 24 hr burn in bios is 54c max 85 f room, with vanessa s cooler (burn in cooler) 9x multipler
1.33v

striker mobo with the better d9 g skill 4-4-4-12 ddr800 all auto sttings

in bios with relativly low voltage the system ran very cool at 3.3-3.4ghz.

i will update this i am currently buried in systems - so i will have to check and repost. I will give a wide range of voltages, fsbs and multiplier info in few days. Thx Russ
May 3, 2007 4:29:26 AM

you have an improperly designed system - i be glad to help you fix it.

first get a thermalright ultra-120 and install it correctly - the screw down version. there are some newer heat sinks that work well too.

does you case have good air flow?

120 in and 120mm out and door fan plus a slot fan - use the dual slot fan that blows at the gpu and blows out
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

you must keep the chip cool to oc it and you need highe voltage to stablize it - my 1.33v is bios - i am sure it will be much higher to boot into vista.!~
good luck!

http://www.warpedsystems.net/contactus.html

it will be 3-7 days before i have vista on this system
May 3, 2007 9:55:27 AM

Hi FishBoi,

My Q6600 overclock results.

First off with the EVGA motherboard I realized that 1400 FSB did not work.
So started trying higher FSB because I heard there were some sweet spots for the quad core. I tried 1600 and no luck, than 1550 and was able to get into windows.
Here are my results and stable after much trial and error with this board.

Multiplier I left at 9X after trying lower and then realized FSB was the problem so put back to 9X.

Raised FSB to 1550
That puts core speed at 3487, below are the voltages and timings I set everything else is in auto. Just remember EVGA boards are very aggressive on overclocking even in auto.

Actual volts reported by board below. Settings are slightly higher.
CPU CORE VOLTS 1.42
CPU FSB VOLTS 1.48
Memory Crucial Ballistic Tracer DDR 8000, set memory unlinked on EVGA board at 1000 mhz.
Was able to set timings at 4-4-4-12, T-2 at 1000ghz. 4-1 gig sticks. Little led lights are cool I guess.

Passive cooling is used the Big Typhoon.
Power Supply is most important and the 850w PC Power and Cooling is my choice. It has a single rail power supply and works great with 8800 GTX.
I'll give you the MB model but remember all 680I boards have their quirks.
EVGA is a great company from what I gather their support is top notch.
MB model: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 nVIDIA nFORCE 680I SLI CHIPSET

Hope this helps all in the future when the Q6600 drops in price. Its really worth it now. Scores almost 20,000 in 3Dmark05 and 13,000 in 06 with the EVGA GTX 8800acs.

Later FishBoi

I would like to add this was a build for my son that is graduating this year from HS. ITT Tech here he comes, or Texas A&M .
May 3, 2007 10:20:07 AM

http://www.ripping.org/database.php?act=records

Q6400
http://www.ripping.org/database.php?cpuid=538

Q6600
http://www.ripping.org/database.php?cpuid=358

Bare in mind some of the results are on LN2, so look for an air result or subtract a fair bit :) 
As everyone has said though i'd expect to hit 3.33ghz without any real problems.

I'd have a look around xtremsystems, you can usually get a good idea of what results people are getting from cpus with a look around there.
May 3, 2007 10:46:16 AM

Most people 99% are not interested in extreme systems. I for one could care less what clock speed someone got with nitrogen cooling there cpu or car radiators hooked up for liquid cooling.
May 3, 2007 1:40:36 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for all the info. Really useful. I read on Anandtech that the P5W DH mobo is flawed when trying to OC the Q6600. Seems like the EVGA 680i is the preferred mobo here. Do you know if they are releasing any revisions/updates on that mobo?

PS. Those temps are awesome.
May 3, 2007 1:48:04 PM

DragonSprayer, about the Striker mobo - does it have any FSB "dark windows". I know the P5W DH refused to boot between FSB 377 and 400.

I think the best setup is FSB = 500, RAM = 1000Mhz (2:1), and CPU at 3.5Ghz (500X7).

Are you guys able to run STABLE at these settings? People always post results on those databases (thanks for that BTW), but I am always skeptical about being stable. Thats the tricky part. I can get to 3.7Ghz on my system, but it only runs stable at 3.3Ghz.
May 3, 2007 2:51:47 PM

Quote:
Most people 99% are not interested in extreme systems. I for one could care less what clock speed someone got with nitrogen cooling there cpu or car radiators hooked up for liquid cooling.

Well if you look there are air results too. You can also use a thing called a brain and guestimate what a cpu will do by comparing LN2 and Air results from different models from which you have more data.
May 3, 2007 5:45:23 PM

I'll be pulling together a spreadsheet later on in the week to start collecting some data, leading up to the price drop. Thanks for the data.
May 3, 2007 6:04:30 PM

Quote:

"...the Xeon 3210 and 3220 will also beneficiate from this new revision..."

Nice new word :lol: 

I think benefit would have sufficed though...
May 3, 2007 6:29:08 PM

Just a noob question here, can you use the same after market cooler on the q6600 that you would use on a 6600 ?
May 3, 2007 6:45:52 PM

I see no reason why you couldn't. The TDP isn't that much higher. Which cooler are you wondering about?
May 3, 2007 7:14:31 PM

Good ole Artic Freezer
!