Deleting adware from registry?

May 3, 2005 4:48:06 AM

SpyBot finds these keys but can't remove them.

Download Accelerator Plus ads: Default ad category (Registry change, fixed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download
Accelerator\ADSDefaultCategory=Default

Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSProxy

Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSFileList

Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSCategory

Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSADS

I have totally removed the Download Accelerator program, can I safely delete
these keys from the registry?
Incidentally I also use AdAware and Counterspy, neither of which found these
although Countertspy found stuff the others missed.

--

Kenny Cargill
Anonymous

Yes you can safely delete these files from the registry after you have
uninstalled Download Accelerator.
peterk

safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> SpyBot finds these keys but can't remove them.
>
> Download Accelerator Plus ads: Default ad category (Registry change,
> fixed)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download
> Accelerator\ADSDefaultCategory=Default
>
> Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSProxy
>
> Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSFileList
>
> Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSCategory
>
> Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSADS
>
> I have totally removed the Download Accelerator program, can I safely
> delete these keys from the registry?
> Incidentally I also use AdAware and Counterspy, neither of which found
> these although Countertspy found stuff the others missed.
>
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill

May 3, 2005 5:04:41 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'll make a registry backup before doing the deleting.
The thing about Counterspy is that you have to pay for it, the others are
free.

--

Kenny Cargill

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
news:o ubqZI3TFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Yes you can safely delete these files from the registry after you have
> uninstalled Download Accelerator.
> peterk
>
> --
> "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
> safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
> sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
> used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
> "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> SpyBot finds these keys but can't remove them.
>>
>> Download Accelerator Plus ads: Default ad category (Registry change,
>> fixed)
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download
>> Accelerator\ADSDefaultCategory=Default
>>
>> Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSProxy
>>
>> Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSFileList
>>
>> Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSCategory
>>
>> Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSADS
>>
>> I have totally removed the Download Accelerator program, can I safely
>> delete these keys from the registry?
>> Incidentally I also use AdAware and Counterspy, neither of which found
>> these although Countertspy found stuff the others missed.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Kenny Cargill

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:32:13 PM

You made the comment that Spbot can't remove the registry keys and then what
you posted shows, clearly, that the "remove"(delelte) option wasn't chosen,
but rather, the "repair" option was. Why try to repair spyware? When found,
simply select all, and then click the delete button, and let it back them up,
if you want, and then, after a while, and your system seems ok, simply delete
the backups. Don't attempt a repair. TTFN.
!