8800 Ultra - Doomed from the start!

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Here's a review from anand's
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2979&p=10

Harsh words, no? This should shut up the idiots who claimed Anand had a HUGE Nvidia bias when the 2900XTX benchies came to light. And it seems like AMD isn't the only company flopping on the GPU market.

This is the type of ridiculous crap-peddling we can expect in a market without competition. AMD needs to step up, and fast.

trooper1947

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Here's a review from anand's
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2979&p=10

Harsh words, no? This should shut up the idiots who claimed Anand had a HUGE Nvidia bias when the 2900XTX benchies came to light. And it seems like AMD isn't the only company flopping on the GPU market.

This is the type of ridiculous crap-peddling we can expect in a market without competition. AMD needs to step up, and fast.

Sorry but I feel only an idiot would pay roughly $1,000.00 for a first generation video card from anyone . And no nvidia is'nt flopping ... their lower end/priced cards extremely outperform the non-existant ATI cards that never appeared ! AMD/ATI is flopping they're dead in the water without a paddle and as now have a hole in their rowboat .... LOL

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Why would nVidia or ANY company sell their top end products at reasonable prices when the competition can't field a product? It's simple economics.

I stated this in another thread, but Nvidia did not release the ultra with any intentions of them selling like hot cakes.
It's a marketing strategy to keep the performance crown, and sell more GTX's. Nothing more.
:lol: But if anyone is crazy enough to buy one, they will gladly pocket the cash.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Yeah, I read that review and its conclusion damn well impressed me.

That's what I like about anand, they give it to you straight. And they are usually right, too.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Why would nVidia or ANY company sell their top end products at reasonable prices when the competition can't field a product? It's simple economics.

In this case not quite so. This product is sooo overpriced that no one would want it competition or not. Unless an idiot salesman lies to you and throws it in your cart. Oh and its AMD/ATI's fault for the bad decision that Nvidia made. We might as well blame them for Global Warming and the war in Iraq while we are at it. :? :?

I see a lot of that at Frys! What some people who work there will say, and what's even worse, people believe them!
(not to imply everyone who works ar Frys does not have a clue, but if you do work at Frys and know what you are talking about, you are definetly a minority)

metrazol

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
It's good PR strategy. Someone looking at buying video cards is going to have 8800 on the brain. Definitely not 8800 Ultra unless he has deep pockets and just wants "the best," price-performance ratios be damned. nVidia's marketing department crunched the numbers and probably figured cost of this paper launch < cost of traditional ad campaign for same desired exposure. It's not about keeping the performance crown as about taking strategic advantage of it while they have it. The Ultra project is meant to break even at best.

ATI still does okay at other price points, but they just aren't in a position to toot their own horn on the cheap right now.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Ok first of all Anandtech did not review the 2900XT, Dailytech did, two very different entities which is why the reviews by Dailytech were posted before the NDA's. You can expect a full comprehensive review of the 2900XT by Anandtech once the NDA's are lifted.

So there was no bias for Anandtech to even begin with.

edit: spelling

Shizamaaur

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
latter on he was talking with his friend about how graphics is another like another planet.

Stalking people now eh?????? hahahhaha jkjk

Anyway, I think it just shows you how much Nvidia wants to cash in on this while they can.. sad.. :evil:

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I actually buy only mid range cards a: because i have a family to support b: because ive never had a problem running anything with said mid range cards.
I think 200 dollars can get most people what they need, the people who would buy that card probably center their lives around there computer and the games they play. Ive seen some uber geeks/nerds, its not a pretty sight, and they smell pretty bad, because stopped buyiing soap and toothpast to save for 1000 dollar video cards. The prices and power requirments for these last 3 generations of cards are a ripoff and irrespnsible.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
You should probably hang around the forums a bit more and observe the posts of people before accusing them of being fanboys. Any computer enthusiast with a shred of intelligence is not happy with the situation, as it will lead to higher prices for the stuff we desire most, along with a reduction in quality that goes hand in hand with reduced competition. I own a GTS, but was hoping the new AMD cards would blow it out of the water. There is nothing fanboyish about that. Grow up.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
ROTFLMAO I in no way support anyone purchasing the 8800Ultra over a 8800GTX but its pretty obvious this thread was started by a very bitter ATI fanboy who just coming around to the reality that he waited 7 months for nothing. :lol:

That's pretty harsh and probably inaccurate. Sounds like you are a fanboy tbh.

ROTFLMAO I in no way support anyone purchasing the 8800Ultra over a 8800GTX but its pretty obvious this thread was started by a very bitter ATI fanboy who just coming around to the reality that he waited 7 months for nothing. :lol:

That's pretty harsh and probably inaccurate. Sounds like you are a fanboy tbh.

Yes he is, but not for ATi/AMD or nV, just for what he currently has, whatever it is is #1 regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

Ask him about his rig. I'm sure he's dieing to show you pics. :twisted:

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Who are you talking about, me, or the other guy? I have a few systems personally, none of which I would really classify as "#1" setups, though I'm happy enough with them. Well, not my 805D system though, my motherboard on that one just melted itself.

And I was going for irony rather than fanboyism on the title to the post, though I probably should have considered the bias it implys.

So would you care to justify your remarks? I'm rather disappointed in you, I thought we just had a rather productive conversation in the R600 temp forum.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Nice manifesto. I have a G80, thought I made that clear. I also explained the title, though now that I recognize you, I understand that perhaps you were unable to understand the nuances of my meaning. So please, in 100 words or less, explain my fanboyism. I'll go ahead and admit, though, that I find wading through your trifling sentiments tiresome and will probably ignore it.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Oh, in case you couldn't tell, that was sarcasm. That's exactly 269 more 3dmarks than hipro5 scored with a regular GTX on LN2 months ago. The Ultra is a complete, total waste of money. The GTX is an awesome card, there's no doubt about it. But to raise the clocks a fraction higher and add several hundred dollars to the price is mildly retarded, to say the least. Anyone even mildly acquainted with computers can buy a GTX, download and then run nTune, and suddenly have a card that outperforms the Ultra by a substansial margin. That would be like Intel offering an "E6600 Ultra", clocked at 2.45Ghz, and selling it for 600 bucks.