TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
I installed a USB TV thin and it works perfectly.

However when i take it out and re-insert it re-instals the driver , therefor forgetting all my channel and record settings.

Is there a way to stop this.

Also my webcam droiver is installed but on start up it keeps askin me to install driver.

im on Vista ultimate. Is there a solution to this problem

Solution
When you use USB, the registry is checked for the proper drivers which are pulled from the location it thinks they are and placed in memory. If it continually tries to re-pull drivers it's not recognizing, it has to go through the setup process again. Here are a few possibitilites: the installing user did not have admin permissions to install (no rights to update the registry fully), the driver is partially corrupted (the driver file is not recognized as the correct version/driver for the hardware), the registry is corrupted, it is not a fully supported Vista driver (the version wrapper on the driver file is not read correctly by Vista), or the device/USB cable/USB port is bad. Let's eliminate the last as least likely. So either...

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
When you use USB, the registry is checked for the proper drivers which are pulled from the location it thinks they are and placed in memory. If it continually tries to re-pull drivers it's not recognizing, it has to go through the setup process again. Here are a few possibitilites: the installing user did not have admin permissions to install (no rights to update the registry fully), the driver is partially corrupted (the driver file is not recognized as the correct version/driver for the hardware), the registry is corrupted, it is not a fully supported Vista driver (the version wrapper on the driver file is not read correctly by Vista), or the device/USB cable/USB port is bad. Let's eliminate the last as least likely. So either the device is not correctly supported by Vista or the driver/registry is corrupt. You can make sure that Vista fully supports those devices and try removing the files completely, rebooting and reinstalling from scratch or checking for newer files on the man. site. A registry checker scan might also be a good idea.

Solution