someonewhoisdead

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
what is the difference between these 2? i'm building a high end pc, so do i need 64 bit vista to see that performance?

i wont be using over 2 gigs of ram... probably and r600 and an e6600...

what the *** is the difference between 64 and 32 bit os's ? will i notice a difference for gaming?

thanks ahead of time, any info would be helpful

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Search this forum for other peoples replies, but here it is in short:

64 Bit allows more than 4G to be utilized, may allow for better perfomance by 64 bit apps (if the app is written correctly), can be more stable than 32 bit (because it is not as backward compatible as the 32 bit version is) and allows for better security.

Totally up to you for what you choose. Some issues: Many apps are not compatible with 64 bit, especially games, so you will have to find alt apps - and there are many out there that are 64 bit compatible. Some older or poorly written 32 bit games are actually slower due to 64 bit having to create a separate run environment for 32 bit apps. There are currently fewer 64 bit specifcally written apps and currently little game support. In the next few months, several 64 bit games are coming out and that may change the landscape.

If you are sure you will stick with 2G, there is less reason for 64 bit today, escpecially if you game. If you don't want to rebuild a year from now, go 64 straight away and wait for the apps that will perform better in the future.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I totally agree with deth.

If "i wont be using over 2 gigs of ram" is your final word then there is no reasonable advantage for ever going with anything but 32-bit software. Look on the bright side, in 5 years you'll be able to buy 32-bit software packages for really cheap. Today, you can probably get a lot of Win 3.1 software packages for really cheap (although most of it comes on 5.25" floppies).

good luck.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
does microsoft offer 64 bit version free upgrade from 32 bit version --- if not it is a matter of cost for you build --- as you will need to upgrade in future to 64 bit to get best performance --- I always get flamed when i give this type of comment --- but --- maybe xp is better choice for now--- as it is more cost effective---

someonewhoisdead

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
the transition to 64 bit sounds like it will be a pain in the ass...

maybe they'll offer a free update... but i dont think people are ready for the 64 bit transition yet?

my opinion, that'll happen with the next MS os.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
i agree --- no one is ready for 64 bit upgrade yet ---- main point is as you pointed out --- 64 bit is pain in ass for now --- and trying to anticipate the hardware and software requirements of the future is also pain in the ass --- and very risky--- at least in my opinion ---- but if you are looking for best computer to do gaming now --- xp is choice for now---- you can get better performance from xp --- you will spend a lot more money for vista to get less performance than xp--- to me, money saved is better for future upgrades--- once again i will get flamed for this recommendation or opinion as most users in this forum are for vista --- but oh well.

EmptySpacez

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
I guess, doubling of register space can give increase to map memory for huge amounts of data, such those that are processed by database servers that hold all their stuff in memory. Additionally, 64-bit system will give you the ability to work with memory nore effectively, if you will get 4+ Gbytes of RAM. Thus you will avoid using physical address extension. This article will give you the general view of the impact on memory management when using 64-bit numbers. Also take a look at this to get some info about 4GB tuning feature. Also take a look at the table showing memory allocation settings. Worth noting that having 64-bit addressing will allow you to avoid 'issues' discribed here discussing the same memory-mapping question, whith 32-bit Windows showing you that you have '3,120 megabytes (MB) of system memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed (4,096 MB)'. About upgradung, you need Windows Vista Ultimate DVD to be able to do that, others contain only 32-bit versions of Vista.

While there isn't a great need for 64-bit for most people right now... the fact is that 64-bit support is growing and will continue to grow. Companies are releasing 64-bit drivers for Vista at the same time they release 32-bit drivers. Of course, this is due to the fact that Vista was available at launch in both flavors.

Now that the hardware and OS are in place, 64-bit is growing and will continue to do so until it supplants 32-bit.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I think you are over optimistic. Less than 18% currently run the 64 bit version of Vista. With its issues with backward compatibility with older apps that it will always have, 32Bit will stay on top for this OS. Now, the next OS in 3 years is a bit more plausible.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I hope you are not being too pessimistic; it just takes that one killer app.

It will probably be a mega-multuser game developer that figures out that his engine can load all maps, have game contexts for 10 or 100 other players, and have 4 or more AIs running - load and run all of it with 8G powered by a quad-core; DX10 graphics on PCIe 2.0; hi-def audio; instant gratification! --- the OS, most components of the engine, and hardware are in place now...

The 32-bit party could be over within a year.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
Please don't talk like that. 8O I don't want to spend anymore $$$ at the moment! :p
Don't lose heart, you wouldn't HAVE to spend any money in this kind of environment, it would surely be completely scalable... your 32-bit oc'ed-monster might have a few minor limits (and probably a correspondingly less 'instant gratification') but the game would still play. say... 25% of the full maps and maybe 4 closest player contexts (you are limited to 3.2G but you have raid so you can _swap_ 'real fast' - and don't forget ReadyBoost!), and probably you'll max out with 2 AIs (you can get more cores but other resources will still be tight and AI doesn't lend itself to swapping very well... when compared with just raw, in-memory nodes!).

Remember, it's a skill thing --- you will still be mildly competitive with the 64-bit guys... :twisted:

This was just a single, plausible use-case for 64-bit environments coming into their on quicker than some may envision it happening...

k00kie

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
LOL, dam so many ppl that dont know anything just commenting away, i was looking for 64 bit games to download and here i find this formum...dam....LOL.

Anywasted, I have windows vista 64 business, and it runs basicly every game out there, every game! 32 bit or 64, and does it flawlessly, I find the 32 bit version of vista to be sluggish and kinda jittery,(and if u look it up, vista was originaly made in 64, then adapted to 32) but use 64 bit and the system runs flawlessly, I have tested NFS MOST Wanted, Unreal tournament, FFXI, Battle for middle earth and works even better than the 32 bit version of the OS, BTW im a MS certified partner, so i get free software every 3 months from the M.A.P I am subscribed to, so I can test any software out there made by MS, and Vista 64 is not just for ppl with more than 4 GB of ram......dummies...64bit allows a higher data transfer rate since the ammount of data that can be transmitted is more than tripple what it was with 32, it's not double, since it's a hexadecimal progress, u know what im talking about right? XD. I hope this helps anyone out...and dont listen to so many ppl out there just giving random rules and guides without any kind of explanation, "dont do this, do that, and shutup!"....geez, u guys are as reliable as wikipedia LOL. later

have fun!

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
If I get Home Premium Retail Full I can order the 64bit version from MS for free (except shipping/handling) right? Does anyone know how long it takes for them to ship it to you? I think I'd rather go that route then get Ultimate and go bankrupt... :)

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I just upgraded to Vista myself, bought the upgrade version of Home Premium 32bit, then ordered the 64bit version on DVD from Microsoft. I ordered it on last Friday (evening) and recieved it this Thursday via standard mail delivery so they must send it out right away.

Now for my experiences so far with 7 days of Vista 32bit use and 3 days of 64bit use, so don't count me as a Vista expert rather just as an average joe making the switch like yourself.

Did an UPGRADE install of Vista 32bit, not sure how that effects the dynamics here but it needs to be noted that some of my XP baggage might have been involved. First impression of Vista was that I really liked most things about it, really hated some other things for the annouyance factor. But overall system ran smooth, didn't have any issues with any programs or drivers. I down loaded all the latest vista drivers for my system before starting. Scores on game benchmarks and 3D Mark stayed the same as with XP within a couple points, some faster and some slower but not so close that it was not noticable without the numbers to look at.

Now the 64bit install when going from 32bit to 64bit requires a CLEAN INSTALL. You can not do an upgrade from one to the other, at least not with the Microsoft provided DVD. So this removed any baggage carried forward which should be noted. So far I found no issues with any programs, games or otherwise, and my benchmarks are actually higher across the board on all games and 3D Mark by a slight amount, again for the most part not noticable without the numbers to look at. But what is VERY noticable is that the system is much crisper and smoother. Where Vista 32bit seemed to hesitate on some actions, Vista 64bit is so far has not displayed it.

So from personal experience I have seen no downside to 64bit to this point over 32bit, and I run a very mixed bag of applications. I am an Automation Engineer and run allot of custom written and vendor supplied applications created for older operating systems, design software and 3D modeling apps, as well as my hobby of PC gaming.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I also started with Vista 32 and 2GB of RAM and I had enought of disk swapping when playing a games. After closing my game (BF 2142), it was taking like 30 secs to get back control.

I ordered Vista 64 (like 14$ CAD) and took a week. I also got 2 more GB of RAM.

Like stated before, I had to do a clean install, apply a special patch to Vista to support more than 3GB (OMG-because I have a RAID), and add my extra RAM. I also reduced my swap file to 512MB. No more swapping! :)

But even just with 2GB, Vista 64 was much better.

Just too bad that some software and drivers are not yet 64bits. But anyway, everobody will have to move one day to 64bits.

I would recommand you Vista 64 and 4GB of RAM.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I also started with Vista 32 and 2GB of RAM and I had enought of disk swapping when playing a games. After closing my game (BF 2142), it was taking like 30 secs to get back control.

I ordered Vista 64 (like 14$ CAD) and took a week. I also got 2 more GB of RAM.

Like stated before, I had to do a clean install, apply a special patch to Vista to support more than 3GB (OMG-because I have a RAID), and add my extra RAM. I also reduced my swap file to 512MB. No more swapping! :)

But even just with 2GB, Vista 64 was much better.

Just too bad that some software and drivers are not yet 64bits. But anyway, everobody will have to move one day to 64bits.

I would recommand you Vista 64 and 4GB of RAM.