Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop hard drive

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 2, 2007 5:51:27 PM

friend w/ Dell Inspiron 5100 lappy.

Replaced 30gig HD with 80gig WD EIDE 5400rpm. After the WinXP CD load the drivers in the beginning it says that it cant find a HD. Its the same error that I had when my PC's hard drive died.

Is there any difference between IDE, PATA, EIDE for notebook hard drives?

Is the HD DOA or the Wrong type?

Please get back quickly.

*EDIT*
This is the old 30gig one that works:
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Toshiba_MK3021GAS_30GB_La...

I see :oops:  :oops:  thaqt the connectors on the 2 hard drives are different.

Where can I get a hard drive that fits this specification without paying the $290 that Dell charges for the same drive?
May 2, 2007 9:02:51 PM

Quote:
it looks like you just need to make sure you get a drive with the right amount of connector pins, this one seems to match: http://www.superwarehouse.com/Western_Digital_Scorpio_1...


That looks OK, but is that a reputable retailer? Could I get one from a brick and mortar such as staples, bestbuy, or office depot?

The 1st HD that he got, a GeekSquad guy told him he needed ATA, and then directed him to another GeekSquad guy who sold him a Serial ATA hd telling him it was ATA.

Then today, in all my glory, I go to bestbuy with him and buy this HD thinking that there are only 2 types of HDS:
A: ATA=IDE=EIDE=PATA
B: SATA=SATA150=Serial ATA

As far as I can tell Im right except for the fact that ATA doesnt belong in the 1st group, it goes in a third.

Can someone link me to a compatible 80-100gb hd for ~$100 from a Brick and Mortar retailer, or a reputable online retailer.

thnx

*EDIT*
http://www.bizrate.com/harddrives/western-digital-scorp...
This one that dasickninja founds seems to be good, but at brick and mortars is a little pricey. He doesnt need more than 80gb. Could you find an 80gb version of the drive?
Related resources
May 2, 2007 9:15:01 PM



This is what we bought today: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=145164&...

This isnt compatible, it has pins and the original drive has a connector like RAM or a PCI card; a piece of plastic with metal strips on both sides.

Going to check your new links, but I think WD makes several 120gb 2.5" 5400rpm hds.

*EDIT* yeah your links give a lot of hard drives many of which are incompatible. I think what I need is a ATA100 hd not PATA, or EIDE, or SATA. It would be great if I could get a product page link, not a websites navigation page.
May 2, 2007 9:27:44 PM



Ok, those seem pretty compatible. Just could you find an 80gig version from wither a local brick and mortar, or a extremely reputable online retailer:
Newegg, Tigerdirect, Zipzoomfly, Frys, Mwave etc.

oh, and we live in NY

Its not me buying the drive, so it has to be from a reputable site or retailer.
May 2, 2007 9:33:06 PM

is it possible that the old drive has a very small adapter on it that changes the interface from pins to "gold fingers"? If so, perhaps you could swap it to the new drive.
May 2, 2007 9:36:56 PM

Quote:
is it possible that the old drive has a very small adapter on it that changes the interface from pins to "gold fingers"? If so, perhaps you could swap it to the new drive.


Can anyone clarify this?

I believe that i have found some good ones though:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Seagate-80GB-2-5-Interna...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Western-Digital-Scorpio-...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Seagate-Notebook-Interna...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Seagate-Notebook-Interna...

Ultra ATA100 and from a local brick and mortar. Anything else?
May 2, 2007 9:36:58 PM

billdcat - are you referring to the "add-on" piece that connects to the 40 pin ATA100 interface on the hard drive? If memory service me correctly (it has been a while since I replaced a dell laptop HD), you should just have to remove the screw(s) holding the HD caddy in place, remove the adapter from the back of the old HD (you called it a "piece of plastic with metal strips on both sides"), remove the screws holding the old HD in the caddy, install the new HD in the caddy, replace the adapter, and then replace the caddy w/HD into the dell laptop.

I think the part you are missing is that there is a piece on your old HD that has to come off - the adapter... or am I wrong.

edit - blunc beat me to it..
May 2, 2007 9:40:06 PM

Quote:
billdcat - are you referring to the "add-on" piece that connects to the 40 pin ATA100 interface on the hard drive? If memory service me correctly (it has been a while since I replaced a dell laptop HD), you should just have to remove the screw(s) holding the HD caddy in place, remove the adapter from the back of the old HD (you called it a "piece of plastic with metal strips on both sides"), remove the screws holding the old HD in the caddy, install the new HD in the caddy, replace the adapter, and then replace the caddy w/HD into the dell laptop.

I think the part you are missing is that there is a piece on your old HD that has to come off - the adapter... or am I wrong.

edit - blunc beat me to it..


Ok, Ill check on this tomorrow, I just got off of the phone with the guy, and he is going to hold off returning the hd untl we try this tomorrow.
May 2, 2007 9:51:03 PM

bill - I just checked by taking the HD out of my Latitude D800. And yes it does have an adapter to convert the 40 pin ( I think its 39 cause it has one missing so you line it up right) to the finger type plug-in. You can just pull it off or if your fingers are to big to get a grip, just use a very small flat blade screwdriver to get it started. Just be careful and pull it straight off so as not to bend the pins. In taking mine off just now one end hung a little and it gave the pins on the HD a very very slight curve. Not enough to hurt as I put the adapter right back on. Just something to be aware of. This is good to know as I'm going to be upgrading my wife's Insp 700m with a faster HD soon too.
May 2, 2007 9:55:58 PM

Quote:
this 120gb drive at newegg is cheaper than an 80gb drive and currently has free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think there must be an adapter on the old drive since I haven't seen any drives that have the connector you describe.


Well, he has that HD already, I think that occdavid is right.

Quote:
bill - I just checked by taking the HD out of my Latitude D800. And yes it does have an adapter to convert the 40 pin ( I think its 39 cause it has one missing so you line it up right) to the finger type plug-in. You can just pull it off or if your fingers are to big to get a grip, just use a very small flat blade screwdriver to get it started. Just be careful and pull it straight off so as not to bend the pins. In taking mine off just now one end hung a little and it gave the pins on the HD a very very slight curve. Not enough to hurt as I put the adapter right back on. Just something to be aware of. This is good to know as I'm going to be upgrading my wife's Insp 700m with a faster HD soon too.


That sounds perfect. Better than that because he already has the hard drive. So that should be it. Ill get back tomorrow.

Im going to use Autopatcher to get the WinXP updates. Fun fun fun
May 2, 2007 10:07:31 PM

I seem to recall seeing an adapter similar to that on a CD drive used in a small form factor HP E-PC, does anyone here know if that kind of adapter can be used on a laptop hard drive instead of the CD drive?

In other words, could a second hard drive be added to a laptop if the CD/DVD drive interface was used?
May 2, 2007 10:18:37 PM

Short answer is yes cause that is what Dell does. Their business line the Latitudes like my D800 have what they call the D-bay where the cd/dvd drive goes. This is removable and you can swap in a second HD, battery, floppy drive etc. But I'm not sure if the laptop isnt designed that way how possible it is to do.
!