Sign in with
Your question

8800 Ultra released May 15

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2007 8:25:05 PM

Graphics cards equipped with the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra GPU and 768MB of video memory will be available at e-tailers and retailers worldwide by May 15th. NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra graphics card launch partners include Asus, BFG, EVGA, Gainward, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Innovision, Leadtek, MSI, PNY, Point of View, Sparkle and XFX.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_41819.html
Straight from the horses mouth.

More about : 8800 ultra released

May 2, 2007 9:04:27 PM

At around $820 for what amounts to a OC'ed GTX, have fun with that.
May 2, 2007 9:06:55 PM

Hummm 10%-15% power gain for lets see:

829 Ultra/600 GTX = 38% higher price

15% does not equal 38% Sorry Nvidia...... Try Again!

I hope AMD comes out with something that kicks the crap out of the nvidia card at a lower price to get this price down. I like Nvidia more but DAMN is that a high price to pay for a video card.
Related resources
May 2, 2007 9:12:11 PM

Talk about coincidence. The NDA's on ATI's X2900 series expire on May 14. Wonder if we'll be hearing the bad performance news from ATI and then have the treat to another overpriced card from Nvidia because they have no viable competition.
May 2, 2007 9:21:57 PM

I doubt it.
May 2, 2007 9:50:37 PM

Quote:
Talk about coincidence. The NDA's on ATI's X2900 series expire on May 14. Wonder if we'll be hearing the bad performance news from ATI and then have the treat to another overpriced card from Nvidia because they have no viable competition.

Man, I can't wait until the NDA's lift. I hope to heck ATI's cards don't flop, or Nvidia will charge through the roof on their future cards.
May 2, 2007 10:07:39 PM

I hope this date will be final and not to change in moments notice. Not like it doesn't bother to me though. Read the reviews about this card and judging from the price, I'm not impressed on it's performance over the GTX.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 2, 2007 10:20:39 PM

So that makes the GF8800U a paper launch too?

Just checking to avoid confusion later with all the whiners.
May 2, 2007 10:46:52 PM

Quote:

We'll know on the 15th or 16th. They claim that the card will be available from the e-tailers. It maybe more of a question of how many cards are available. I don't see it selling all that well because of the price vs performance, but who knows?
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2007 10:53:08 PM

Quote:

I wont be whinnin. i am totally happy with my 88gts. so far. :lol: 
May 2, 2007 10:55:26 PM

Which one did you get, the 320 or 640 meg flavor?
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2007 11:00:19 PM

The 640.
May 2, 2007 11:04:23 PM

Ok, just wondering. My 1900 XTX Toxic is about dead and I've been considering either the 8800 GTS, but wasn't sure if the 640 version is worth the $100 extra or not.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 2, 2007 11:04:29 PM

Quote:

We'll know on the 15th or 16th.

No, you misunderstand the point of pointing this out. To all the nV fanbois, it's a paper launch if it's anything other than stock in stores the moment the words are in the press or the company officially recognizes the product with it's retail launch name.

So the X1800XT was a paper launch because they mentioned it with the XL despite saying it wouldn't be available until a month later.
So just ensuring people don't forget this momemnt for that argument. The launch is today, availability is in 2 weeks.

I suspect AMD does the same, but maybe not, but people always seem to bitch about it. so just reminding people that here's another example of the same thing on both sides.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 2, 2007 11:07:07 PM

Quote:

I wont be whinnin. i am totally happy with my 88gts. so far. :lol: 

Not worried about you, you're a smart guy, you don't care about such BS, just buy what you want when you want it.

I suspect that if the R600 isn't on store shelves the minute the product model HD2900 appears on the AMD website, people will be moaning paper-launch. :roll:
May 2, 2007 11:08:35 PM

Quote:

No, you misunderstand the point of pointing this out. To all the nV fanbois, it's a paper launch if it's anything other than stock in stores the moment the words are in the press or the company officially recognizes the product with it's retail launch name.

So the X1800XT was a paper launch because they mentioned it with the XL despite saying it wouldn't be available until a month later.
So just ensuring people don't forget this momemnt for that argument. The launch is today, availability is in 2 weeks.

I suspect AMD does the same, but maybe not, but people always seem to bitch about it. so just reminding people that here's another example of the same thing on both sides.

I guess that comes from not being a fanboy of any card. I just care what the benches, prices, and availability is.

I should amend that. I do care, since I want a card available to buy before my 1900 eats the dust.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 2, 2007 11:10:08 PM

Quote:
Ok, just wondering. My 1900 XTX Toxic is about dead and I've been considering either the 8800 GTS, but wasn't sure if the 640 version is worth the $100 extra or not.

Depends alot on the resolution you want to game at.

I'd say it's not worth it, but the closer we get to DX10 games the more important it will be to know how people optimize/exploit for memory.

Do they simply take advantage of larger textures and more power and be inefficient with code and assume everyone is in the 512+ club, or do theyy use efficient coding and then what used to require more mmeory now is more efficient?

Until that last bit is known it's hard to be certain, but I have a feeling that saving that $100 and using it later or for something else is the wisest path.

Edit: the other thing to consider is that the GTS-640 may drop in price once the HD2900 performance and prices come out. It might be worth waiting 'til the May 14th date so you can get the best of both worlds, a cheaper GTS-640, or if in stores a hopefully equally or closely priced HD2900XT if that's an option. I don't expect the GTS-320 to come down in price much, it's already hurting the GF8600GTS as it is dropping it more would just kill the 8600GTSs.

A cheap GTS-640 for uner $300 on NewEgg would be very attractive, and IMO worth the extra simply for the nice memory buffer for things like Physics and DX10, also resale value likely to be more too should you wish to swap it for a G90/R700/G100 later. Currently the '640 premium' price diff is a bit high IMO.
May 3, 2007 12:29:24 AM

8800 Ultra and ATI's lineup having a hard launch on the same day ?
May 3, 2007 1:00:50 AM

Sorry if this sounds like I'm making excuses for a company but I understand the need for companies to paper launch. It is impossible to hard launch and control the leaks. The respectable tech sites should have a chance to release their reviews before being scooped by the poorly written badly translated crap.
I have no problem waiting two weeks for availability. In fact I will never buy anything at the price it first hits the streets at.
May 3, 2007 1:35:38 AM

Yeah Grape,

It most certainly is a paper launch :) 

You will need a LOT OF PAPER to get one :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2007 1:49:50 AM

Nah I think I'd need alot of something else, or too little of something else to get one.

Just happy to see once more we're back to even on the whole launch BS, as if Creative, AMD, intel, WesternDigital, Samsung, etc haven't pre-launched stuff in the past.
May 3, 2007 2:04:08 AM

Again. This card is a joke. XTX will rock it a 1/2 the price and will be a HARD launch. Oi.
May 3, 2007 2:09:25 AM

Quote:
Nah I think I'd need alot of something else, or too little of something else to get one.

Just happy to see once more we're back to even on the whole launch BS, as if Creative, AMD, intel, WesternDigital, Samsung, etc haven't pre-launched stuff in the past.

I'm not disputing this, just surprised - what did Western Digital paper launch? I don't know too many people that get so excited about hard drives that the paper launch would seem to make sense?

By the way, that first line... :lol: 
May 3, 2007 2:12:41 AM

Quote:
Again. This card is a joke. XTX will rock it a 1/2 the price and will be a HARD launch. Oi.

We can hope... but until we see some non-BS benches of either card it's impossible to say if the XTX will rock the Ultra or not... but a better value, almost certainly.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 3, 2007 5:38:13 AM

Quote:

I'm not disputing this, just surprised - what did Western Digital paper launch?

They like others do it, announcing upcoming products without availability now. And it depends on what you call a paper launch, with things like that it's not as egregious as the GF7800GTX-512 or the X850-XFire edition. But the MyBookPRO (with FireWire 800 was announced when the others were launched but didn't arrive until later), and for people interested in external storage, hey it's nice to have wider support, but having to wait for it sucked.

Most of the time you read about HDDs is likely when the reviewers have them tested which is usually after availability. But even the harddrive companies announce and detail upcoming products that aren't on shelves the day they announce.

Quote:
I don't know too many people that get so excited about hard drives that the paper launch would seem to make sense?

Well then you're not privy to the tricked out world of moded hard drives, AWESOME !!! :twisted:

But really the other one I remember was the clear Raptor which was exciting to the case mod crowd;

As engadget's article say, it's available for pre-order (ie not in stores now, but soon, ie paper launch);
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/06/western-digital-rapt...
May 3, 2007 1:17:44 PM

Yeah I don't agree with the price vs performance either, just posted it to let you all know.
May 3, 2007 2:08:09 PM

This is a first sign of what is going to happen if AMD goes under: small performance gains for ridiculously overblown prices- Microsoft in graphic cards. Lets all hope it won't happen. For those considering buying the card: there are factory overclocked 8800gtx cards out there that can almost keep up with the ultra, if you have money to burn: get 2.
!