Sign in with
Your question

Which version of XP?

Last response: in Windows XP
April 22, 2007 2:11:05 AM

So.....I'm building my first computer. I had all the hardware picked out, and was ready to go when I realized I was going to need an OS. I don't want to deal with Vista yet, so I'm going with XP, but I don't know which version to get. My university recommends Pro, and in fact will sell you a copy for it for $14.95 (Hooray for volume liscencing), but I already bought a copy (you can only buy one) and installed it on my laptop (you can only install it once).

I vaguely remember that Home doesn't support Dual Core CPUs or some such like that, but I'm not entirely sure I didn't just make that up.

So, basically my question is: For a computer that'll be used 90% for gaming with a little web surfing thrown in, what version of XP should I pick up?

More about : version

April 22, 2007 3:03:22 AM

Unless you're computer will be joining a domain, you will get by just fine with XP Home. Home supports as many cores as you can fit into a single socket... which means that yes, it will even support new quad-core CPUs... since they will only occupy a single CPU socket.
April 22, 2007 3:16:49 AM

Ahh.....I see. The thing about the the cores makes a lot more sense than what I said. However....just to make sure I'm not missing anything..."joining a domain" means what exactly?
Related resources
April 23, 2007 2:37:58 PM

Domains are business oriented. You would have a central server.

If you're at home, you probably have a router connected to a cable/dsl modem. Nothing fancy.

A domain would have a central server your computer 'attaches' with to get information, routing, user accounts, etc.

Its business stuff to allow 1 server to control multiple computers.
April 23, 2007 4:27:05 PM

Gottit.....thanks a lot for your help. :) 
!